Is Hiking Pop Culture?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiking has become more popular in recent years but I live in a state (R.I.) were it is not even close to being "pop culture". I've had many trails to myself on weekends in the fall. The hiking I do in the WMNF is done primarily in the fall and during the week. With that being said I can't say I've experienced overcrowded trails.

What bothers me are the number of "woods walkers" who call themselves hikers. These people are usually very unprepared when they go out into the woods. I was hiking on the Kanc last October and I saw this mini-van pull up. Out pops this guy wearing levi's dockers and boat shoes, his wife was dressed the same way. No backpacks, no trail maps, no water bottles, no nothing. So off they go into the woods thinking it was going to be just a casual stroll. I wasn't surprised to see them limping out of the woods a few hours later being led by an actual HIKER who found them lost in the woods.

I think if people are going to take on hiking as a hobby that they must first learn what hiking actually is (not a casual stroll in the woods), get the right gear, obtain the proper information and above all respect the woods. I always welcome new hikers (I was new at one time) but I expect them to take it seriously.

Last edited:
cool thread - and a darn good question - I don't know - when I think of pop culture - its mostly the TV stuff X-box, , paris hilton, rap music, britney spears, etc,..

I totally agree with the marketing tinge though, amazing race people all decked out in north face gear, every suv commerical is in the mountains, patagonia on newbury street, and every next person wearing north face gear.

but not that many (in the big picture) hike/climb/kayack, etc..

so I don't know - most people in new england have only ever heard of mt washinington and monadnock - try telling some one you climbed adams or jefferson - or better yet try somehting more obsure - - nobody knows about them except locals.

I would have to say the "image" of hiking and backpacking might be pop culture - but the actually hiking is not. most people think its more fun hanging out at the mall and shopping. to each their own I guess.

llittle off topic here but.....I would bet - that if most people on this board was on survivor, amazing race, etc - they would clean house. I haven't yet seen anything on those shows that I wouldn't do - you know your not going to die - its so staged for the TV - but show like that kind of make it pop culture to an extent. - at least I think so.

primal quest on OLN - now that was tough stuff and someone did die- thats reality TV!!!

Last edited:
Yes it is pop culture and places like EMS and REI have a lot to do with it by making the gear/clothing more accessable and desirable. Not that that is a bad thing, just an observation - I love both places. As far as too many hikers, there are always areas/trails/times that aren't crowded - you just need to pick the level of crowdedness you can deal with (I mind it less than my wife, who says let's try somewhere else if there is more than one car at the trailhead!) Bottom line - more hikers (or even hiking clothes wearing non-hikers) the more support for wilderness issues and the cheaper the gear.

I agree with Giggy!!! :) :D :) :D

Hiking, the activity, is NOT pop culture. A very small percentage of the general public takes part in it. For it to be pop culture, it would need to be done by a large percentage of the people. The vast majority of people I know do not hike and have little interest in hearing about it.

Hiking, the image, IS pop culture. This is why you have your Amazing Races and Jeep commercials and you see people who don't hike wearing hiking clothes for fashion. People like the idea of hiking and adventure but, wouldn't actually do it themselves. Fortunately for the trails, we live in a society that is becoming more and more sedentary. As long as those couch potatos keep sending in checks to conservation groups, I'm fine with them! :D

The bright side of hiking being pop culture is that it will blow up and then fade away. Not unlike the Fly Fishing Fad of the 90's. I have noticed that I see more people in the areas covered by guide books. It almost seems like there are fewer people on the local trails and in my case streams. Could it be that in this day of easy information that the areas with the best beta attract the traffic and concentrates use in those areas? I have found in the last 5 years or so that the local "campsites" are rarely used. It seems that there are fewer people willing to walk in a mile or two and camp. At the sametime it seems as if the car camping set has exploded. More people are enamoured with the idea of hiking and backpacking and are willing to spend a weekend car camping and exploring areas close to the road. As soon as you get in a few miles and get some elevation the overnight visitors seem to thin right out.
Is it possible that the fitness fad is fueling a resurgence in casual hiking? People are in better shape and can physically enjoy being out in the woods?
Also today's gear makes it much easier to be dry and comfortable even in the worst weather. Random thoughts : )

A few random thoughts..
Someone once told me sea kayaking would never be as popular as other sports-too much work involved. Well, to some extent,it's true. There are lots of "rec" boats on cartops every weekend,but sea kayakers out on multi-day trips of 20-30 miles on the coast of Maine-not many. Yes it's work,and a good chunk of money to be safely outfitted for that type of trip,so your likely to be seriously involved in the sport. If we meet someone on the water-we usually know them,because it is indeed a small world in sea kayaking.
I suspect hiking,and to some exent backpacking follows the same path. There are lots of "rec" hikers out there on any given weekend,but I would guess the crowd thins out after some distances on a trail. I don't hike in the summer( I'm kayaking!) so I can't say for sure,but I can tell you we never find it crowded when we camp in the winter. Often we are breaking trail,and never see anyone the whole weekend.
It all comes down to different levels of a sport. There will always be a crowd at the entry level of any sport,as people try out new interests,but it thins out as the intensity level increases.
Also,it may appear that hiking,kayaking or any sport seems more popular and busy because these are the people you hang out with. If many of our friends are hikers,we spend weekends with our friends hiking,we read books and magazines about hiking-well,in my world hiking seems to be pretty popular and widespread,and getting busier all the time-or is it my perception? ;)

I don't think our trails will be overrun anytime soon-after all,like he said-it's too much work.

From what I hear, the outdoor "pop culture" in the east is not nearly as intense as the outdoor pop culture in the west. I guess our terrain just ain't cool enough to support enough pop.

Anyone have first-hand comparisons?

With BBS'd like this, we become the victims of our own success.

On the other hand, sure, the average member of this board hikes a ton - when compared to the average populace. But when compared to some of the overachievers on this board, we are average (or much less so). So, are we, as hikers, members of the pop culture known as hiking that is sweeping the land? OR are we blinded by the immediacy of our small circle of acquaintance/influence to make it appear that everyone is out there hiking?

Easiest answer to that: casually talk to a non-hiker, or occasional hiker. You will find that we are mostly just a loose bunch of folks who understand the wonder of being out there. I have a whole circle of friends who never hike. I ski and flyfish with them. They look at me, and just shake their heads.

Now golf - that's pop culture!

I think hiking is as non pop culture as you can get. I do believe that the great outdoors has become pop culture thru the soda/SUV/Jeep ads that show people getting to remote locations and being very caffeinated while hanging out w/ beautiful woman, and everyone tends to be howling w/ joy. As far as hiking in maine, it is very rare that i see more than 5 people on a trail in a given day. I would guess trail overcrowding is more of a NH "problem".

Double Bow said:
Hiking, the activity, is NOT pop culture. A very small percentage of the general public takes part in it. For it to be pop culture, it would need to be done by a large percentage of the people. The vast majority of people I know do not hike and have little interest in hearing about it.

Hiking, the image, IS pop culture. This is why you have your Amazing Races and Jeep commercials and you see people who don't hike wearing hiking clothes for fashion. People like the idea of hiking and adventure but, wouldn't actually do it themselves. Fortunately for the trails, we live in a society that is becoming more and more sedentary.

Ding Ding. You win! Absolutely. Totally. 100% Right on. People like they're hardcore, extreme action adventure types, but, in reality they don't go outside. See, Outside Magazine. The image is popular, and therefore, part of pop culture.

The actual people that hike...not so much. I'm not cool and I'm not beautiful and nobody cares if I'm having someone's baby, therefore, I am not pop culture.

I see the thread started off as hiking then moved into "mountain hiking" and then back to hiking.
I didn't see this mentioned, but in many states where outdoor activity isn't as marketable (midwest & south) there is nowhere near the amount of trail nor traffic, save scouts and youth groups.

I recall reading somewhere that there used to be a lot of older tramping clubs that were fostered by folks living in cities. Most folks that lived in the country spent a lot of time already walking up and down old country dirt roads that meandered through forests and fields to get to places and had no need to drive somewhere only to walk further.

So, I agree with others that mention the marketing and the image as being Pop while the activity isn't. Much the same as those of us that wore bright colored spandex (guilty...) and had purple or bright blue backpacks in the 80's, or had the jeans and heavy norwegian welt boots with orange or red External Frame backpacks and the old A-frame tents in the 70's. I look at thse as microcosms if pop culture.

Grouseking, You can't mention boy bands without mentioning 80's New Edition ("Cool it now" "Candy Girl") then New Kids on the Block :)

Rick said:
I didn't see this mentioned, but in many states where outdoor activity isn't as marketable (midwest & south) there is nowhere near the amount of trail nor traffic, save scouts and youth groups.

Less marketable, or less people to market it to? I'd be curious to know percentages, they might be pretty close.

I mean, the whites (and Adirondacks) get so much use because of thier close proximaties to large cities. The white's anyway, are a realtively small area, that sees a high concentration of use, as opposed to larger tracts of land with the same number of people.

And what do you define as "outdoor activity"? Hunting and fishing is sooo huge in the midwest, although not pop culture.

And, I totally agree with whoever made the comment about Outside Magazine, what a joke. Young models holding firewood, pulling up to a rustic cabin in a Mercedes with a kayak on top, knee high heeled leather boots, and Ralph Lauren wool sweaters. Nothing wrong with any of that necessarily, if you saw the photo (spread!) you'd understand.

aaaand...

I went to see Conrad Anker speak last fall, he ranted for like 15 minutes about how much he hated Mercury Mountaineers, the Avalanche, Yukon, and all of those other adventurous car names. It was great- go Conrad!

I wonder how influenced people are to purchase a vehicle because of its name?

sleeping bear said:
And what do you define as "outdoor activity"? Hunting and fishing is sooo huge in the midwest, although not pop culture.
You couldn't read what I was thinking??? :D
Sorry, I was referring to hikers here. I agree with you hunting and fishing are huge, but not pop culture.

Hiking as "Pop Culture", I am not sold on it. I believe that most people that say they enjoy hiking only hit the trails a few times a year. Seeing hiking in ads is just an advertisement ploy. It is the "in" thing to be outside or at least to believe that. Look at truck adds, they have new owners doing everything outside, from hiking, kayaking, fishing, boating, anf towing around atv's.

How many folks do you see with NF or MountainHardwear jackets around? Do they all go out now in the woods or is it just a status symbol?

In my opinion if the number of hikers increase, that will only mean more voices and votes to help perserve these great places. As fo marketing hiking for tourists, I would guess that for the most they spend a day on the trail and 3 days in the outlets.

The St James Encyclopedia of Pop Culture article linked above contains some interesting observations, but it is factually inaccurate to suggest that hiking -- recreational walking -- was not a popular activity until the 20th century. One need only reflect on the history of such rambling in, say, Great Britain. And as for its roots in North America, take a good long read through Forest and Crag, the wonderfully documented history of hiking in the NE United States, written by Laura and Guy Waterman.

The Watermans also did a fine job of looking at hiking as a cultural phenomenon in the book, Backcountry Ethics, and explored issues related to hiking in their followup book, Wilderness Ethics.

Arguably, of course, prior to the 20th century hiking was an activity for those relatively few who had leisure time available. And so, this left out a huge segment of the populace that today is not only included but also participates with enthusiasm. If popularity is purely a numbers thing, then I suppose the St James Encyclopedia article makes a point. If popularity is thought to mean something more like “widely or enthusiastically practiced by those who have the wherewithal to do it,” we have something else.

All that aside, my quess is that what motivated people to hike recreationally in the past is largely what motivates them to hike these days: The desire for healthy and healthful recreation (better health); curiosity about what is out there, over the hill or up that ravine; desire to leave the ordinary routine of our lives behind; and so on. There is a romance in it. Interestingly enough, in reading the Watermans’ books and some others we find there also is evidence of early “competitiveness” and interest in “extreme” hiking.

The greatest defect I see in articles like the St James Encyclopedia one on this general topic is that they tend to be “West Centric.” That is, such articles hold to a view that interest in nature and the vigorous outdoor life (including hiking) somehow originated and has its philosophical underpinnings in the Western United States. That just is not so. West Centrism takes a very truncated and distorted view of history and the world we live in when it comes to these things.

But perhaps that is really what Pop Culture often is about or does -- it is and provides a rather truncated and therefore distorted view of the world we live in.

This is not to disparage the marvelous expanses of wild and the great passion for exploring it that seems to be part of the Western US culture. Fabulous landscapes abound there and so do great enthusiasts for those landscapes and their exploration. Nor is it to disparage Pop Culture in general, either. It simply is a suggestion that taking a broader view of the world and history often is worthwhile.

Now, the question: Is hiking Pop Culture?

Darned if I know. I've long held that it’s just putting one foot in front of another repeatedly until you cover the distance from Point A to Point B to Point C, etc., and by and large that’s good enough for me. If I happen to be caught up in a Pop Culture movement, so be it.

(BTW, I think this is a great thread.)

G.

Awesome

Thank you everybody who checked out this thread and sounded off a bit. Although there have been many varied opinions, it seems as if there are a few common themes. Still, I am not convinced on if it is or isnt pop culture, but I guess it depends on one's definitions or perceptions on everything. As I continue to be immersed in this culture and hike, maybe I will have a better understanding of everything. :)

grouseking

I hope it is pop culture, that would indicate that some day it would again be unfashionable. I don't get out to be with crowds of people and socialize but for the peace, quiet and solitude. I don't mind sharing the trails, just not with people looking to improve their social image and who are unwilling to invest in the bare necessities (synthetics, boots, ummm...water bottles). I think all the problems associated with large crowds are only amplified in the northeast with our limited (relatively) wilderness.

At the end of the day, the most important thing to me when coming off a trail is that I had an enjoyable day, whether I was the only out there or I shared it with 100 other people isn't of much significance...though I could come up with a dozen reason why I'd prefer the former. Admittedly, it's a difficult viewpoint to balance because I'm sure others could (and have) made arguments for why getting more people involved with this "outdoor activity" is a good thing for everyone, but I'm not really convinced.

Great article, Grouseking!

It looks like there is general consensus here reguarding the popularity of hiking. The activity has grown exponentially in the past twenty years, but hikers are still a small percentage of the population. The image of hiking, however, is everywhere you look.

It depends on how you define pop-culture. I change my vote to not pop-culture, while the image most definately is. Britany Spears is pop-culture, but only one person is Britany. Then you have millions of teens dressing like her, much like millions dress like hikers.

This is a good thing, because demand for hiking clothes is far greater than it would be if only hikers wanted it. The demand has resulted in great new fabrics and gear and gizmos. Ain't life grand! ;)