Is hunting season over in the Adirondacks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
As per my NE post, I'm planning some solo bushwacking from Nov 12 to 14.
I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a deer or a moose.:D

There were quite a few hunters along the edge of the Sawtooth Range, just south of L. Placid last Saturday but once I got away from motorized and trailed access on my bushwhack hike there were none. I began hiking before sunup and got back after sundown and didn't get shot. (although I do have a few holes in my backpack now - jk)

I always carry a radio during hunting season and was able to talk to a couple of hunters and let them know I was in the vicinity.

BTW, take a look at this link

Last edited:
Is there some convention for a particular radio band and frequency/channel for hunters?

Doug

Not at all. I have picked up a fair bit of chatter on FRS 5 but hunters might use Marine Band, CB's or GMRS. (My radio picks and transmits on GMRS although I don't have a license.)

I leave my unit open on channel 5 but periodically scan all 22 channels. The bulk of what I have picked up is on 5.

Not at all. I have picked up a fair bit of chatter on FRS 5 but hunters might use Marine Band, CB's or GMRS. (My radio picks and transmits on GMRS although I don't have a license.)
Thanks, I would have guessed CB and/or FRS.

FWIW, marine is illegal for land-to-land use.

Doug

FWIW, marine is illegal for land-to-land use.
That's what I was told but at a GPS, radio store near where I live they said a lot of hunters (in Quebec, anyway) buy marine band radios.

That's what I was told but at a GPS, radio store near where I live they said a lot of hunters (in Quebec, anyway) buy marine band radios.
I was referring to US law, don't know about Canadian radio law.

I can certainly see how boaters would want to use existing marine radios rather than having to buy separate radios for land use.

Doug

I can certainly see how boaters would want to use existing marine radios rather than having to buy separate radios for land use.

Doug

Illegal here too for land to land.

Doug

Some VHF marine radios also come with an FRS radio for land use, some even come with a more powerful GMRS for land use. My Uniden MHS550 has an FRS mode as well as AM/FM, weatherband, Air, blah blah blah..

Jay

Some VHF marine radios also come with an FRS radio for land use, some even come with a more powerful GMRS for land use. My Uniden MHS550 has an FRS mode as well as AM/FM, weatherband, Air, blah blah blah..
Legal as long as you only transmit on legal frequencies for your current location and licensing.

Doug

To get back to the original question, to most people, "hunting season" means deer rifle season, and that ends Dec 7th in the Adirondacks and Catskills. However, there are seasons for small game, waterfowl, etc. so here's a link to info on it from the DEC: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/hunting.html

The crowds definitely begin and end with deer rifle season, though, so after the 7th your chances of running into a hunter in the woods, especially in the High Peaks, drop considerably.

And in the catskills and in certain sections of the Shawangunks (Mohonk Preserve), Rifle season starts on Nov 15th..

Jay

Hunting activity was very strong this past weekend in the Lake George, Schroon Lake and Brant lake region.

Hunting Activity in the High Peaks

We spent the weekend in the John's Brook Lodge neighborhood: met one couple of guys, deer hunters; and heard two separate rifle shot reports on our way out on Sunday. All of this was very near the lodge complex itself, with hikers too numerous to count all around.

According to one: "We only shoot when we see antlers." It occurred to me later that his response sounded more attuned to the doe lobby than to hikers.

I'd keep that hunter orange in evidence for a while yet.