Isolation via Glen Boulder?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Planning on Isolation soon but worried about water crossings since I hike with my 74 year old ex father-in-law who will not cross a river that is not rock-hoppable. The longer but easier Rocky Branch way sounds like multiple tough water crossings.

Sounds like the Glen Boulder route would be shorter out and back, but I do realize much more elevation gain... think the book says over 5,000 ft! So def ups and downs.

Has anyone gone this way? comments?

We just did Washington last week up Ammo, down Jewell which was our 4th hike so far this season (Monadnock, Keasarge North, Willey) so we are in decent shape. I just didn't know how brutal this route would be. I don't believe there are any water crossings this way, right? thoughts? thanks!

Glen Boulder route is beautiful. More work w/ verticals, but alpine zone for a few miles. (w/ some minor shrubby shelter between Glen Boulder and the junction w/ Davis Path) No water crossings.

When I hiked Isolation, I came up via Glen Boulder and then down Rocky Branch (after finding a very nice couple from Vermont who offered to drive me back to my car). Rocky Branch is wet and boggy and I'd never do it again.

Rocky Branch is wet and boggy and I'd never do it again.

My feelings exactly.

My first and only time to Iso was a traverse Glen Boulder to Rocky Branch. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have gone back Glen Boulder.

I did Isolation just about a year ago, out and back rocky branch. I remember the crossings not being difficult at all. The first one right before the isolation trail junction being the biggest. I remember them being very easy with poles unlike some other crossings I have encountered i.e. North Twin and Owls head. What can be tedious is the rocky branch trail becomes a brook for about a mile so you rock hop that whole part. It isnt hard just tedious once you past that par which is between the dry river wilderness sign and the rocky branch river I found it quite easy just long. I also enjoyed the trails a lot and found it to be a very beautiful hike

Last time I did that route was last year. It is really enjoyable, the views and time above treeline are great as opposed to an ascent via Rocky Branch. When ascending Rocky Branch I have only observed that the first crossing would pose a little trouble if levels are high, then again, I am not 74 (yet).

I did this route last year to finish my 48's on Iso. The weather and the route combined to make this a memorable and enjoyable trip. It is a significant climb to the top of slide peak and then down to Iso and back up to Slide peak but doable if you're in shape.

We have done Iso 3 times from Rocky Branch in drier weather so there were no crossing(s) issues..also have done Glen Boulder route too...how about going up Ammo again to hut, cross over Camel to Davis Path? and down to Isolation..you would have to research it carefully of course... and when I m 74 hope I can do what he is doing!!! Lefty E

So far this all sounds good... I don't mind the extra climbing and a day out in the open air wide open is sounding better also... I have descended via Glen Boulder trail on a hike I did for Washington some years ago up Boote Spur and down Glen Boulder and that was awesome so seeing the boulder again will be a nice bonus.

I just had to ask since it seems like majority of trip reports always go Rocky Branch way.

Great info, thanks!

The 3 river crossings can be reduced to 1 if you do the "Engine Hill Bushwhack".

Glen Boulder is a beautiful route, but look at map and realize that on the return, there's more than a bit of uphill heading north before turning right on the Glen Boulder trail.

You know the capabilities of your 74 yo ex-father-in-law better than we do. So, consider making your decision based upon his abilities rather than your own. If he's up for it, then no worries.

Another option is Ammo Ravine Tr, across to Boot Spur (Camel Tr), and down Davis Path. A bit longer, a good bit of vertical, but little difficulty with stream crossings. Camel Tr goes through an interesting area that isn't visited very often.

Doug

IF you are worried at all about stream crossings, it is probably a bad idea to go out Rocky Branch without having come in Rocky Branch. Crossings 3 and 4 are very close together and you can skip them by following a pretty obvious herd path.

Tim

It should be said...

Rocky Branch may be wet (dunno), but I did the Boott Spur Trail up to Lakes-of-the-Clouds and back down Glen Boulder: all of it is pretty much bone dry. If the hut is open (allll the way across the lawn), there's water there, but otherwise, you'll have to carry what you need. Don't forget sun and wind exposure, too! Gorgeous hike.

Have a great time!

Did the BB to Isolation, and return via RB MANY years ago in Oct. Nice day- severe clear. Great hike - don't remember any water / mud. Took the traditional pix of trying to push the boulder downhill, of course.

Pretty sure there is a spring just past Glen Boulder (as in the boulder) that I stopped at.

The only thing about doing Iso that way is that Isolation becomes very anti-climatic after all that time in the Alpine zone. :D That area of alpine zone is one of my favorites, and the views from Iso nice, but not anywheres as exciting as being in that gorgeous area. :cool:

Brian

Last 4th of July,my wife and I went in Glen Boulder and out Rocky Branch. I won't go into the reasoning behind it, but the road walk back to the car at Glen Boulder was miserable (and all up hill). Definitely, not recommended.

Glenn

I can see the glen boulder option having better views for sure. On the other hand I can't seeing it being easier on ones body. The reverse elevation looked pretty substantial from the summit of isolation. An out and back that way would be a full day for sure

Last edited:
Yeah, the out and back in one day doesn't sound easy, but we should have no problem, esp with a nice early start!