It's winter, it's time to think about...paddling.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
What else to do in this non-winter but think about kayaking.

Those in the NY/NJ metro area, there is a really good kayaking show (canoes too, but generally, more geared towards Kayaking as the kayaking fad these days are big).

http://www.jerseypaddler.com/Paddlesport/index.html

This is a big paddlesport event in March 24-26 down in Somerset, NJ that a couple of us VfTTrs are considering going, such as Warren, Daxs, and I. I know there are other kayakers in the NY metro area too out there so just thought I'd post here if anybody else is going, would be fun to meet up or so. I might be meeting up with others from p.net too but thought I'd shout over here.

My thoughts if there isn't going to be any real snow to ski/snowshoe on, might as well hope that paddling season comes quickly... :)

Jay

If kayaking in the spring waters is your thing, don't miss the West River Release. I used to go every year during my years at RPI and the years soon after graduation. The river is challenging and the weekend is always TONS of fun. Here is the link for the River Release. There is one in the Fall as well but I have only run the river during the spring release.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/jamaicawhitewater.cfm

sli74

Thanks Seema, except I'm not a whitewater paddler, I don't have a WW kayak, but rather a touring kayak. I know the Lehigh River over in PA has a twice-a-year dam release thing that is popular with the WW crowd. I've done some small rapids on the Delaware with my kayak but since it's fiberglass, I try not to get into too rough stuff. It's my only boat!

Pete, maybe I'm a "paeddler"? ;) I'm a person of many hobbies... I'm actually planning on building a kayak carrier for my bike so I can bike my 14' Impex behind my bike. Won't be able to bike to Maine that way but I should be able to bike my kayak to the lake I'm on... I'll just have to time my road crossings as I think getting about 18' of vehicle across even backroads will be interesting...

Jay

Don't think about it ,just do it. I got out last week for a short paddle, nice!

Well, I don't own a drysuit and tend to go solo, especially now that it's winter, would be hard pressed to find somebody else with the right gear...

But once the water temps get warmer....

Jay

circling NYC trips

hey jay h,

have you ever paddled around manhattan? i have always wanted to, but didn't want to do it as part of a paid group trip and have no clue about put-ins or take outs. do you or anyone here? not trying to hijack the thread, sorry!, i'll prolly post something in spring as well.

Nope, I'm kind of in your boat, not really wanting to pay for something like that, but knowing you have to be wary of the Circle Line and getting run over by large ships.. :)

Might want to ask Warren (of the same user name), he knows more about NYC paddling, I stick to the suburbs!

Jay

I'm a winter paddler,and I found a way to do it without buying a drysuit.
Exuma!
Some of the best kayaking and sailing on earth.That water color is for real. This March will be our 4th annual trip.

New England paddling ends in November for me. It's backpacking/camping season then!

the starchild said:
have you ever paddled around manhattan?

There are boathouse that do them, it can be hard to get in on a trip especially if you're not some sort of regular and they know your skill level. Circumnavigations can be long trips, 30 miles or so and you need to be able make the currents or they become really long trips. If you email me sometime in June I may be able to get you on one of the trips the local boathouse does. NYCKayaker is decent mailing list and in season there are occasional trip announcements. You can subscribe at:

http://www.rockandwater.net/mailman/listinfo/nyckayaker

Alternatively if you have a kayak and can pace a swimmer in mixed, sometimes rough waters all day long you can volunteer for kayak support in one of the swim marathons.

The most useful skill for the marathon is a bladder of steel.

Jay, I'll be going to the show.

Jay, I'd like to go if possible, Noe tht i am back in Jersey (working in Bridgewater) I am apaddling the local waters again.

BTW< I did a dayhike around Merrill Creek Reservoir Sunday. It is a pretty cool place and doesn't seem as though it woudl get crowded in teh summer. Only electric motors allowed other than paddlers. It is out near Stewartsville right off Rte 78, about 15-20 minutes from Spruce Lake or Round Valley Res.

Rick, if you're in Bridgewater, you're almost next door to the show...

H2Outfitters does indoor rolling classes at the YMCA in Bridgewater, I've considered taking a class from them, but now with my mortgage, I'm going save money and either 1)Learn by myself and some WW friends or 2)take an outdoor rolling class which are cheaper.

Merrill Creek is supposed to be nice but smaller than some of the larger reservoirs up here like Splitrock or Monksville... If you've gone to Merrill, Swartswood lake is a big lake there that is fairly shallow (and lowered via the dam in winter) that is nice to paddle in even though it is developed. Snowshoe(Shawn) is a state ranger there!

I'm planning on going to Round Valley Res. this year with a non-vftt paddling friend, never been there, need to check it out, supposed to be really nice and clear cause it's a deep lake and the winds can pick up making for some nice swells..

Jay

Swartswood is on my list to get to. I 've paddled RV a few times - I like it becuase you do get a good workout. I have heard that waves really pick up in even the slightest winds, due to all the surrounding hills - They have a strobe beacon that goes off in the event of wind. The days I have paddled there have been still early mornings. I have also been meaning to get over there (25 minute from me) to get some hikes in.

JayH,check out this link to NJ/NY AMC . Looks like you could get some indoor rolling instruction from the AMC chapter for $35/session for members.
Here's alink to most of the clubs in the area.
Our local clubs Boston Sea Kayak,and North Shore Paddlers Network,both run pool sessions where we "mentor" people on an as needed basis. We teach rolling,bracing etc depending on what attendees would like to learn. I'll bet one of your local clubs offers similar instruction.
From my own experience,I found it impossible to teach myself,and having an in the water coach does wonders.
Good luck with that roll!

Rick said:
Swartswood is on my list to get to.

Rick, gimme a shout when you go ....... I live in Blairstown, about 10 minutes from Swartswood. And yeah Merrill Creek Reservoir is real nice. I've hiked the perimeter trail (or whatever it's called) about a dozen times. The water is never crowded, even on summer weekends. And the handful of boats are mostly fisherman who generally tend to stay over in the cove on the north-western side where the trees are submerged ...... good cover for fish, I guess. The wife and I drove by the Reservoir last Sunday (on Fox Farm Rd) ........ too bad we didn't know you were there. Do you have a VFTT sticker on your car?

Jay, do you know what day you are going to Paddlesport? I'd like to go, but Sunday will probably be the only day I'm free. I would like to buy a boat, but I would prefer to go with someone who knows something about boats. I know nothing. I don't even know which side is port and which is starboard ..... :p

Rob

Hey Rob... I might be going with a friend of mine who lives near me. His criteria is that he too might be helping a friend of his buy a boat so his date might be dependent on his friend, but I'm flexible, I'm just looking and trying to pick up as much free swag as possible... ;)

Sunday, being the last show is good for paddlers looking for bargains but really, Friday is the best as it's the least crowded and every dealer has a good supply that you can try on. Just email me sometime before the date and I can try to keep you informed on when I'm going... I can meet you on sunday if that is the case...

KayakDan, thanks for the link, Not an AMC member but I could check them out too... I like the DIY method and I am self-taught on the wet exit, cowboy reentry, etc..

P.S. Rick, Rob, RockySummit: I'll tell you a hidden Gem in northern NJ as far as hiking goes..... Norvin Green... shhhhh...

Jay

Last edited:
I'm gonna google "norvin..." now.

I12climbup I was parked over by the visitor's center. I have VFTT stickers on the back windows of all of my vehicles. I might be heading over there this weekend. I really like that perimeter trail.

There were about 1 million (OK maybe 500,000 - there were a lot, though) snow geese on the lake and they were making a lot of noise. From a distance of about a mile, I thought I heard what was the low rumbling of turbines in the pumps by the intake and that the white on the center of the lake was pack ice. As I got around to the other side it dawned on me that the whole center of the lake were Canadian geese. (snow geese?) and the turbine roar were the geese honking away.

They suddenly all took off at once flying in these perfect arc formations - I had never seen so many at once, even while growing up on the shore of Lake Ontario. They circled in these formations similar to a giant school of fish. Then as suddenly as they took off, they landed. The Visitor center ranger told me that they winter over sometimes and they hit all the neighboring farm fields while food foraging.

I would recommend if anyone is near Merrill Creek reservoir, to stop in and look at these geese - they are spectacular.

Jay H said:
I like the DIY method and I am self-taught on the wet exit, cowboy reentry, etc..
I taught myself (throught reading, watching videos and the internet) how to roll last year. It can be frustrating, but it's much quicker and less annoying when you have at least someone there to flip you back up if you don't make it - wet exiting every attempt can get very tiring.
Now that I can do it I think it would be nice to perfect it and try different rolls (now I can only do a sweep roll) - for that I think it would be good to have a pair of more experienced eyes watching me.

I'd like to make it to this event, but I think that month is already all booked up
:cool: