JetBoil?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeper

Reaction score
There was an article in last month's NH Business Review about a Newport NH company building these new JetBoil stoves. TIME magazine named it one of its "Most Amazing Inventions of 2004".
It sounds like a pretty sweet rig. Wieght of only 12oz.,Boils 2 cups in 2 minutes, 75% average fuel efficiency. A 100 gram canister is enough to boil 12 liters. and has a French press accessoryfor coffee.
I'm starting a search for a new stove and was wondering if anyone has used one and would affer a review.

saw alot of them on the A.T. this year. they look good to me. they don't burn much fuel either. i'd consider one next time. :D :D :D :D :D

I purchased a Jetboil very shortly after they came out and love it!!!! When I first got back into backpacking in 2001 I first purchased a Whisperlight International which I loved as well. However, in my quest to cut some excess weight like most do, the Jetboil has done extremely well. No longer do I carry the Whisperlight, the white gas fuel bottle, the cooking pot, etc. As long as I can boil up the water I can then eat my freeze dried meals right in their own packages. No more pots to clean. Now, I know it's all personal preference on what foods you eat, but once you figure that out then you'll know what kind of stove to buy. The other great feature is the nesting capability of just putting the fuel canister and burner base right inside the 1 liter cup. It makes for a nice compact unit. Another thing I always do is carry an extra fuel canister. Don't ever trust that just one will be enough. Anything can happen out there and usually does when you least expect it. I highly recommend it.

As mentioned there was extensive discussion on these boards this spring, I bought one this year. I used it on a five day backpacking run through BSP-it was GREAT :D Light, easy to use. It was summer and I got aprx 20 boils per fuel cannister. It reduced weight and volume in my pack and was awesome for that first cup of tea-90 sec.-in the a.m. :D Some folks have had issues in winter, although I believe there is a four season fuel mix that is supposed to help. Also my only needs are boiling water- may not work for backcountry gourmets. good luck and have fun.

I don't know, I'm pretty partial to my Dragonfly. The biggest advantage to the Jetboil is the weight savings, otherwise you're married to the container that comes with it, with other stoves you can use any size container. Definitely a cool and innovative product and I see the pros and cons of both.

I do like the new accessory which allows you to use other pots and pans besides the original pot. However,since I already have two canister stoves, I’m more interested in acquiring a winter stove that uses white gas, so I doubt I would buy one.

Another Jetboil user here who is in love with the product. Perfect for no-nonsense cookers who just like to boil water, tho others have reported the attachement that allows you to use pans and other pots works well.

On my recent Northville-Placid hike I took along the coffee press gizmo made for Jetboil. Happy to report that works like a charm too.

Links to earlier discussions: Link

Link

truepatriot09 said:
I don't know, I'm pretty partial to my Dragonfly. The biggest advantage to the Jetboil is the weight savings, otherwise you're married to the container that comes with it, with other stoves you can use any size container. Definitely a cool and innovative product and I see the pros and cons of both.

I have to admit that I love my Dragonfly too, awesome stove.

We got about 20 cups of water to boil with one canister which seemed OK.
For summer use my rating = A

I really like the nesting feature and quick boil time of my jetboil. quick and easy.

but, i don't like the disposable canisters. I got the stove anyway justifying it in my mind this way; the efficiency of the stove made it ok. but it does make extra trash and you never know exactly how much is left:(

i don't know though, i've been looking at alcohol stoves lately. i wish there was a perfect stove!

the starchild said:
I really like the nesting feature and quick boil time of my jetboil. quick and easy.

but, i don't like the disposable canisters. I got the stove anyway justifying it in my mind this way; the efficiency of the stove made it ok. but it does make extra trash and you never know exactly how much is left:(

i don't know though, i've been looking at alcohol stoves lately. i wish there was a perfect stove!

I read a LOT of these "soda" can fuel stoves ROCK...I am thinking about making on soon, but all the reports i've read say ONLY good things about them and that they are even BETTER than a white gas stove in winter and at altitude..I don't know for sure..but only time will tell.. I do know that they burn little fuel and are light...WAY LIGHT..

M

KMartman said:
I read a LOT of these "soda" can fuel stoves ROCK...I am thinking about making on soon, but all the reports i've read say ONLY good things about them and that they are even BETTER than a white gas stove in winter and at altitude..I don't know for sure..but only time will tell.. I do know that they burn little fuel and are light...WAY LIGHT..
The soda can alcohol stoves are light, quiet, and can be very effective. Some of them are so light that one has to be careful not to damage them. Or a gust of wind can blow them away.

But you have the winter and altitude effectiveness reversed--alcohol stoves tend to be marginal in the cold.

Plans for building a variety of alcohol stoves: http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

Doug

Has anybody used a jetboil with temps in the upper 20's? I could sleep with the cannister in my bag so morning use would be OK. I'm wondering about boiling water for supper.

temps in the 20's, cannister was in your bag, cooking should be no problem. just try and make sure you using a new cannister.

if you have to boil another pot, warm it up again first before cooking.
i've cooked at 0 with that stove which was entertaining at first with flareups! but keeping the can warm with body heat as much as possible will help greatly. also, the night it was 0, we put a hand warmer under it as there were two of us and needed a few mugs of hot water. we got industrious as we needed to eat!!!