Katahdin 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my Stephen Clark guide yesterday, and have already read most of what applies to this trip. I think the cheap map included with the book is actually better than the disappointing (and not very "exciting") DeLorme map, as far as being able to see detail in the contour lines on Katahdin.

I am very surprised at the many restrictions imposed on visitors to BSP, (edit), but I now know why it works that way and accept the rules with which the property was given to the state. No problem-o... I'm going anyway. :D

Last edited:
It's getting near that time to make a reservation for camping. Is anyone going who is also a Maine resident who is willing to handle that, in order to take advantage of the priority afforded to Mainers? I ask this on behalf of all those who indicated interest in this event, but since I started this thread last fall, a family situation has developed that might prevent my participation :( . My apologies to all for dropping the ball. I might still be able to go, but I can't commit. If we have progress toward a camp reservation, I'll start another thread in "events" to continue this.

Last edited:
Some of the other threads indicate that the bugs should be monumental that week.
But, what the hell.

It's about time (4 months) to send in those cards and letters. Anyone still in??

Those dates don't work for me but I'd be willing to send in the reservation if someone is willing to commit the reservation fee up front. As far as I know there is no problem with transferring a reservation and I've given mine to other people in the past with no problems. Has anyone heard otherwise?
-vegematic (Maine resident)

So how many do we have on board for this??? Clock is ticking.

ps - the (AMC) Maine Guide does not go into same detail that the WM Guide does on trails. Is it better to do the Knife Edge E-W, or W-E??.. Planning on E-W.

Last edited:
ps - the (AMC) Maine Guide does not go into same detail that the WM Guide does on trails. Is it better to do the Knife Edge E-W, or W-E??.. Planning on E-W.
Either works. IIRC, the hardest part is the W side of Chimney Notch (you will likely need to use your hands), but that section is well marked, not very hard, and short. If you take your time and stay on-route, you shouldn't have any/much trouble. (It is usually easier to ascend steep sections than descend.)

In summer, I wouldn't pay much attention to the difficulty along the ridge when choosing a direction.

It can be more difficult in winter--when I did it, we did a W-E-W round trip and the W side of the Notch was an easy mixed (rock and ice) climb. the E side was a walk-up.

There are also relevant comments early in this thread.

Doug

Last edited:
Any advice on the trail? Again. the description in AMC guide is very short. Is a loop over the KE and around ti Hamlin, and down the Cathedrals doable?? Or is it a 'only in the best shape' undertaking??

Any advice on the trail? Again. the description in AMC guide is very short. Is a loop over the KE and around ti Hamlin, and down the Cathedrals doable?? Or is it a 'only in the best shape' undertaking??
We did up Dudley TR and down the Saddle Tr (largely in the rain...). (The winter trip was up and down Abol Slide.)

I've never done the Cathedral Trail--I hear it is the hardest trail up from Chimney Pond. (Others on the board have done it.)

Up Dudley Tr and down Hamlin Ridge is certainly doable in a longish day. Or up Dudley, over to Hamlin Pk, and down the Saddle should also be doable. Either of these have the advantage of an escape down Saddle Tr, if need be.

A lot depends on your fitness and how quickly you can move on rough terrain.

Doug

In dry conditions, Dudley, the Knifes Edge and Cathedrals are all within the abilities of most experienced hikers. Ranked by relative ease, its Dudley, Cathedrals and Knifes Edge. Keep in mind that Katahdin is a magnet that draws in hikers of different abilities from all over ,so the trail descriptions are oriented to a once a decade hiker and therefore tend to overstate the difficulty.

In windy conditions, Cathedrals have the least wind, Dudley somewhat more exposed and Knifes Edge very exposed. In wet conditions on the Knifes Edge do yourself a favor and go watch the moose at Sandy Stream pond :rolleyes:

Dudley is basically a steep boulder hop, similiar to Caps ridge trail on Jefferson. No real exposure but a lot of climbing up and over boulders (leave your poles collapsed and in the pack going up). Cathedrals reminds me of Huntingtons Ravine trail, although Huntington's doesnt have anything to match the view from the top of each Cathedral. If you want to avoid exposure just skip the short spurs to each Cathedral. You get to use your hands in spots and there are some areas that have had slides in the past so if you are in group take care not to dislodge anything. Knifes Edge requires your hands and occasional foot placements. There are "chicken routes" in many spots that slightly cut down on exposure, but the reality is that in places the trail is 2 to 3 feet wide with a very steep drop on either side with no handrails. If you dont like heights and steep dropoffs, this isnt for you. On a windy day its not something to mess with.

Timing wise, on a good day, from Chimney pond the loop up Cathedrals, to the summit, then over Knifes edge and down Dudley is 5 to 6 hours. If you are doing it from Roaring Brook as a day hike add on a few more hours. If you are in good shape and camped out at Chimney the run up Hamlin in place of Cathedrals is a good subsitution and it gets you views into the adjacent basin. Doing this from Roaring Brook is possible but its a real long day and its easy to get dried out due to the long stretches of above treeline. The Saddle trail is strictly an escape route with nothing special except that its gets you down and into the trees as quick as possible. I havent done Helon Taylor to Pamola yet but it looks like a good but very exposed route as it gets you above treeline a lot quicker than going to Chimney pond.

I will note that going down Hamlin is a lot more impressive than going up it so you may want to do the loop clockwise.

I go to Bowdoin, but I don't know if that makes me a Maine resident...

I'll help if I can, but I'll be in Illinois all sumnmer.

oppss

Meant r/t from Roaring Brook. Helon Taylor up, and Hamlin Ridge down, and
Chimney Pond Trail out. Obviously a pick-your-day thing with the Knife Edge.

Book states 10.9 miles, and ~4500' vrtcl. Looonnnng day.

I've been lifting weights all winter, jogging again with spring, but worried about my wife's endurance. May need to choose agenda to make sure she can both make and enjoy it. Is there shuttle from east/west side of Ktaadn?? I'm member of NH 4000, with 11 to go in ME.

I'm out

Just to clarify - as alluded to in my February post, due to a family situation and other commitments I am doubtful for a July hike up Baxter, and am no longer organizing that trip.