King Ravine 3-31-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
Date: 3/31/07

Trails:Airline,Short Line, King Ravine, Great Gully, Gulfside, Airline

Mountains:Peakless!!

Special Equipment:Crampons, axe

Giggy told me him and some folks would be heading up to King Ravine on Saturday... I really wanted to join them but I was meeting a real estate agent in Bartlett at 3pm and wouldn't be able to join them for the whole day unless I started really early.

But I needed to get out and while battling my increasingly tired head that just wanted sleep as I drove I decided to stop being a lazy bastard and head up fast and hopefully meet up with them somewhere up there.

At Appalachia at 2 and started out at 2:30, planning to at least get to the King Ravine trail intersection that night and if not then just stop at 4 for some sleep. Guy told me they would be camping out somewhere. I passed a tent near the Short Line intersection and then another tent farther up, 25 minutes from the King Ravine Trail - figured maybe one of those could be them...

Got to the KR intersection at 3:55 and set up the bivy in a nice little spot off the trail. Wrote a message in the snow (with a stick :rolleyes: ) telling "Guy, wake me up" just in case I overslept or they happened to get an earlier start than planned.

Woke up at 7:30, out by 8:15. No sign of giggy and crew but I didn't want to be late for my meeting, so oh yes, time was of the essence.

Good looking gully off to the right with nice ice, and the ravine coming up.
Ice bulge looked pretty cool, but with one tool and not a lot of time I picked the snow line up.

Perfect hard neve for cramponing (but too hard for good plunges), Great Gully was very aesthetic and had a great skiing bowl towards the top.

Frenching and daggering (piolet panne) up... most crampon and ice axe techniques could be practiced on the awesome slope.

Topped out at 10:10, much earlier than my planned 11am top out.

Headed towards the airline, which looked much different than my last time up there in November

Some other comparison shots of then and now .

Started heading down the airline and, wait, what do I see? I think I know those folks.
Apparently another group of 3 headed up the ice bulge.
I think a see a guy with a Ratt t-shirt :D

So I stopped for a break and then headed down the Airline like a bullet in the blue sky passing maaany folks heading up in full winter regalia. Looking back I could see some folks in the gully...

Got to my car at 12:30 with plenty of time to spare! If I had known I had that much time I would've headed at least to Adams and add a peak or two... but oh well, it didn't feel necessary at the time and it was a gorgeous day!!

Later I met up with Giggy et al for some pizza and good times. You guys rock!!

-Doug

Last edited:
giggy said:
pretty sweet! you should have came in the tent and snuggled with us.
Be classic if he picked the wrong tent!! Besides, Doug maintains certain standards...

cbcbd, loved the comparison shots. The conditions look perfect! Hope the meeting went well. Great location!!