Koolau Mountains - the quick way

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
As my leg has gotten stronger, I have been able to do a lot more hiking out here on Oahu. The more places I hike the more I want to hike. The diverse forests, birds, narrow ridges, and dramatic mountains are incredible. Usually it is a long hike to get up to the ridges and peaks - if you can get to the peaks. Most summits here are very difficult and dangerous to get to. The loose, crumbly rock is not the best to climb on. But why hike when you can fly?

My friend Lincoln is a helicopter pilot who flies search and rescue for the fire department. He also flies for a private company that shuttles workers and equipment for the electric company high up into the mountains to work on the power lines. I was lucky enough to fly with him on one of the power line runs.

Normally I would not get into a helicopter out here. Helicopters fall from the sky like leaves in October out here. But Lincoln flew helos in Iraq and I figured if he could get through that he should be able to get me around Oahu.

He flew me up to the top of a peak in the Koolau Mountains and dropped me off. He then flew back and forth to the valley to shuttle up workers and equipment while I took photos. Then he picked me up and brought me back down.

0001-650.jpg

0218-800.jpg

0235-650.jpg

We made several of these flights during the day. At one point we were going to a job site and I pointed out a nice peak - one of the tallest in the Koolau. He asked "oh, you want to go up there?" I said "yah, if you can." We went to check it out and he said "oh, I think I have landed there before" and he pulled it down with the skids just touching a small patch of land and he said "ok, jump...I'll be back". I grabbed my backpack, jumped out, and the helo lifted, backed away, and then dropped straight into the valley below. It was suddenly silent and I was totally alone on top of the Koolau. It was incredible.

0378-650.jpg

0410-650.jpg

0413-800.jpg

0372-650.jpg

At some point up there I begain to think that it is a good thing that I come preparred. My backpack had my photo gear, but being a hiker it also had a headlamp, gore-tex shell, extra food, water, and compass. There is no trail to this peak, but I was thinking I could make it out if I had to. But then true to his word, Lincoln returned abuot 45 minutes later. He put the bird down with precision. You can't see it in this photo, but right behind the bird (I mean RIGHT behind it) is a 2000'+ drop.

0455-800.jpg

In addition to the mountain tops, I got tons of views of the eastern half of Oahu. There are no doors on the helo which made the photography easier, however you have to put some serious trust in your seatbelt - especially during banking turns.

Makapuu light:
0056-makapuu-650.jpg

Back side of Rabbit Island:
0045a-800.jpg

Koko Crater:
0084-koko-800v.jpg

Big mahalos bruddah Lincoln!! You da man!

0471-800.jpg

I have a full gallery of all of the shots from the day at:

http://www.vftt.org/HI/080405-Helo/index.htm

Aloha,

- darren

Not too shabby. Are there any trails along those sharp ridges, Darren?

I use to fly in Hueys and Loaches(the red one in your picture) in the military. We'd be skimming over the tree tops at 130 knots with the skids just missing the leaves. Door open on the Hueys. Lotsa fun but the scenery wasn't as interesting as where you were.

darren said:
Normally I would not get into a helicopter out here. Helicopters fall from the sky like leaves in October out here. But Lincoln flew helos in Iraq and I figured if he could get through that he should be able to get me around Oahu.
Nice pics.

Might have been a long and nasty walk/tumble off some of those peaks if he hadn't come back for you...

When we were out in the Islands for the 1992? eclipse, we took a tourist flight out over the N. side of the Big Island. The pilot had flown helos in Vietnam--he took us up one of the waterfall tunnels above the Wiapio Valley and hovered in spots with only about 10ft of rotor clearance. Impressive flying (at least to me). Impressive scenery, too.

Doug

Last edited:
Nah, those pictures totally suck. :rolleyes: Just when I was starting to get over my short love affair with Hawaii you had to go and remind me all about it! I'm ruined.

Nice to see the end result of those pictures...they are beautiful. The color of the water looks fantastic in your shots. I think my favorites are the backside of Rabbit Island and Makapuu light. Oh, and the one of Koko crater actually makes me feel a little dizzy and helicopter sick! Your photos do an awesome job of capturing what it feels like there, not just what it looks like.

Nice pics Darren! The wife and I have always had negative feelings about Oahu, its the one island we have avoided every time we've been out there. But the aerial shots provide a much better perspective that we are impressed with.
Hawai'i pilots are some of the best. We watched some once dealing with thermals over the Big Island, between that and the winds they have a tough job, but they do it best!

Mahalo Mahalo (thank you x2) for everyone's comments.

Peakbagr said:
Are there any trails along those sharp ridges, Darren?

There are "trails" on those ridges, but I would call them routes. The rock is so crumbly that it is really sketchy.

kevinmac said:
What kind of camera and setup did you use?

I shoot a Canon 20D. These shots were taken with Canon lenses: my 10-22mm and 24-105mm IS L, and I borrowed Lincoln's 17-55 IS (I actually know Lincoln from a Canon shooters club). In the air you can not use any filters because the vibration will shake them off and it would really suck if it went through the tail rotor. On the ground I used a polarizing (CP) filter or a graduated neutral density filter (GND - 2 stop, hard, Galen Rowell filter in a Cokin P size holder).

All shots handheld. Shots in the helo were taken with a shutter speed > 1/1250 sec. to reduce camera shake due to the helo vibration. Also, in the helo for wide angle shots you have to shoot in bursts to get a shot without a rotor in them. Obviously it is random, so if you shoot 5 shots continuous then one of them is bound to not have a rotor in it. I found out with the 10-22mm lens (35mm effective of 16-35mm) that at wider than 16mm (25mm effective) there are two rotors in the field of view so it is impossible to take a shot without a rotor in it. A whole lot of wasted shots...

Fisher Cat said:
Nice pics Darren! The wife and I have always had negative feelings about Oahu, its the one island we have avoided every time we've been out there. But the aerial shots provide a much better perspective that we are impressed with.

Back in the day I never liked Oahu. Honolulu (and any city) is such a turn off for me that I just plain didn't like it. I was always spoiled by spending most of my time on Maui and Kauai anyway. Now that I have lived here on Oahu, I have to say that this island has really grown on me. Believe me, I still hate the traffic and I hardly ever go into Waikiki, but there are some incredibly beautiful and untamed areas of this island.

chomp said:
Fantastic stuff, tho you should have been rockin the Magnum mustache. FWIW - this was my favorite:

http://www.vftt.org/HI/080405-Helo/pages/0550-800.htm

Yah, the mustache would have been cool. I actually thought about Magnum while we were buzzing over the island. :D

That shot of the Mokes is cool. I really like this one:

http://www.vftt.org/HI/080405-Helo/pages/0570-800.htm

You can really see the whole island. The sand beach is the one that Carmel and I kayaked to. You can see a couple of kayaks on the beach in that shot. It is very cool to see the back sides of those islands. Most people never get to see them. It is wild how the front side of the island is nice and calm and the back side is wild and jagged.

Aloha,

- darren

Peakbagr said:
Not too shabby. Are there any trails along those sharp ridges, Darren?
darren said:
There are "trails" on those ridges, but I would call them routes. The rock is so crumbly that it is really sketchy.
The 5th picture down shows what looks to be a trail along the ridge.

What a beautiful spot to be able to stand and take it all in. Thanks for sharing a glimpse with us.