Least favorite trails in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzy

Reaction score
I know all of us here love hiking, but I was wondering if anyone ever "regretted" taking a certain trail and vowed never to use it again.

For me, I would have to say the Mt Clinton Tr is my least favorite. A couple of years ago, I did a Webster-Jackson-Pierce loop and used the Mt Clinton descending from Mitspah to the DRT. Man, it really s***** ! It was way overgrown, leaves constantly in the face for the first mile, then it became extremely rocky and very very wet & muddy, the trail at times seem to be nothing more than a glorified brook bed. Maybe I was just really tired, and it didn't help it was raining that day, either. But IMHO probably the "least fun"
I've ever had hiking a trail in the Whites. But the views from Webster Cliffs and seeing a big hawk take off from the edge of the cliff from about 30' away more than made up for it. Birds of prey rule !!!!!

And Tuckerman's, too. Definitely not a fun place for the solo hiker. Don't know what the hell I was thinking that day. Anyway, please share. I'd love to hear some great stories. This forum rules. You guys are awesome. Hope to meet some of y'all on the trails soon, I'll give the "V" sign.

fishin' jimmy trail

Not the biggest fan of this trail up the Kinsmans....it seems to always be dark, muddy & generally wet. And those slippery steep sections are never fun.

I'll second The Cornice for its arduousness, and Bunnell Notch was pretty muddy when I went through there (although I understand it's been improved the last few years), but the worst White Mountain trails are still cakewalks compared to the worst of the Adirondacks.

Going up to South Twin from Galehead Hut, with a heavy pack.
It is only about a mile, but it is a killer!!!

The Link from Caps Ridge to Castle Ravine. It has my vote for the most overgrown, root infested, ankle turning trail I've been on. After a long day, taking this trail back to the Caps Ridge trail was extremely tiring. Bunnell Notch trail was very sloppy when I took it but seeing a moose on it doesn't make it so bad.

Parapet Trail. It appears to have never been completed, and never will.

Lizzy said:
And Tuckerman's, too. Definitely not a fun place for the solo hiker.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I finally walked this trail for the first time last Saturday and found it to be spectacularly beautiful. The perfect weather probably had something to do with it. One of the best days I have ever spent in the mountains.

Steve

Last edited:
Liberty Springs. Just BOOOOOORRRRING.

And Kinsman trail from treeline to the tram. Eroded so that ground level is over your head, disintegrating rock that tries to send you to your butt.

The Link from Caps Ridge to Castle Trail used to be on my list -- I hiked it about 15 years ago for the first and (I then thought) last time, and hated it. But my husband, who hadn't been along for that hike, wanted to do it last fall, and it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered.

I'll second The Cornice and The Link as noted above. Although I also remember cursing the section of the Franconia Ridge Trail between Lafayette and Garfield some time ago.

Of course, a good percent of it depends on the weather.

Diffrent strokes....I absolutely love Bunnel Notch. I was dissapointed when it became the shortest route up to Mt. Cabot, which increased traffic.

The Link makes for a wonderful loop with Mt. Jefferson and The Castlated Ridge. The Cornice is so beautiful!

The few times I've hiked the Mt Clinton trail, I remember it being one of those trails that I creep along to make it last. :)

Least favorite would be the lower leg of Tuckerman Ravine Trail. However, I had a wonderful time on a midnight hike up there last February to photograph
Orion over Tuckerman Ravine.

The Whitehouse Trail, because it weaves, goes up and down unnecessarily twanging the tired legs, and really doesn't even need to exist in general. :)

My vote goes to the Pemi Trail in Franconia Notch State Park. From the map it looks like it should be level & easy. Level, yes. It is extremely poorly signed (and where it is signed, done so in a nonstandard manner), however.

sp1936 said:
Parapet Trail. It appears to have never been completed, and never will.
I hated that one also. Let's just say the boulders haven't been "Edmandsized".

marty said:
Descending the Carter-Moriah from Mt. Surprise to Gorham. The smooth, steep slabs were extremely slippery when wet.
How does that compare with the Success Trail (also has slippery slabs)? I'm not surprised as the Carters / Mahoosucs are somewhat similar in charaacter.

Trails

Wildcat Ridge from Pinkham with a heavy pack was real tough (but beautiful)...
Hi Cannon was a killer, but I think it had more to do with exhaustion from the previous day.
Rollins Trail in snow was also real tough...thought it would never end!

Suprised to see Tuck's on this...other than the crowds I found it to be a real nice walk...

post'r boy said:
the ones that lead me back to the road!! :( hence,back to work! :D

as always, i agree wif ospreyaboya thru-hikin' king! i even liked the link trail and have hiked the ol' cornice twice. but i was in the "proper" state o' mind for both!

I dispise the Lincoln Woods Trail because of its monotony. It's a long three miles after a long weekend of backpacking. The last time I was making my way back to cilivized country I high speeded up the trail in a fast pace and made it back in a hour.