long-term weather trends this "winter"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good climate treatise webpage on UNH

I too agree the winter ain't over yet. I seem to recall past winters that featured lack of winter weather until January and then Feb & March turning wintry as all Heck. Anyway here's an excellent web site at Univ of NH that says alot about New England weather and climate trends.

http://www.neci.sr.unh.edu/neccwaq.html

Don't know how far north you're talking about giggy but here's the forecast for Plymouth, NH for Sunday.

"Partly sunny in the morning, then snow and rain at times in the afternoon. Winds from the SE at 5 mph. High: 37° F
Sunday Night: Periods of snow. Winds from the NE at 8 mph."

Edit: Just watched the 11pm news and a 2nd storm is likely for Monday Night/Tuesday. I know it's a 4 days away but it could be big one :D Checked the AVN model and it looks promising for snow. I'll keep my toes crossed!
AVN Weather Model

Last edited:
I would like to venture that the term "global warming" needs to be phased out and replaced by "global climate change" or something of the sort. I hear far too often...when it's cold.."so, much for global warming!". It's probably said by the people who drive gas guzzling vehicles!! But let's help enlighten the unenlightened. PS, i am aware of why the term is used, but it's affect of large changes is what i'm going for. JMHO ctsparrow

I'm trying to do my part. Heading up to Intervale to partake in tourist activities (shopping, staying at timeshare my In-laws could not unload).

We are leaving Monday so expect Sunday's snow to be late in arriving so I can have an ugly drive back in a mini-van (front wheel drive at least) to CT.
Since that will be a higher profile vehicle than the Forester or other wagon, expect high winds too!

Next big storm after that, another President's Day storm (Now you know when I'm hiking again) My next post on VFTT will provide you where the weather will be the worse on 2/19 & 2/20 . :D

ctsparrow said:
I would like to venture that the term "global warming" needs to be phased out and replaced by "global climate change" or something of the sort. I hear far too often...when it's cold.."so, much for global warming!". It's probably said by the people who drive gas guzzling vehicles!! But let's help enlighten the unenlightened. PS, i am aware of why the term is used, but it's affect of large changes is what i'm going for. JMHO ctsparrow

Yes, let's enlighten the unenlightened, ready State of Fear by Michael Crichton and then tell me about global warming.

ctsparrow said:

When its cold, we also hear "it's part of the model".

The whole theory will eventually phase itself out, as did global cooling theory.

Last edited:
I have two of these "Yankee Flipper" bird feeders that have batteries & a motor, to fling the squirrels away when they try to steal my birdseed. I got them three years ago. They were a bit expensive but can be rather entertaining. I put one of them up hanging from a pole on my deck, and the other from a bracket screwed into an ash tree. Before yesterday, both of them were in working condition.

I got up this morning and saw the battery/motor assembly for one of them lying on the ground, with no sign of the rest of the feeder or the bracket.

When I went outside, I saw footprints:
(quarter for size comparison)

A bear! The battery/motor assembly was somewhat mangled. I followed the footprints.

They led about 100 feet back in my woods, to under a hemlock tree where it had been snacking. It must have been scared away by a dog because it didn't finish the birdseed.

Footprints then led back the other direction, over to the road where across the street the woods lead to a large marsh.

I figure this winter's warm weather has left me about even so far; on the plus side I've had less fuel oil to burn & fewer times to pay the guy who plows my driveway, but on the minus side I'm out one fancy bird feeder. That bear should have been in hibernation somewhere else. Jury's still out on whether the January frost heaves are doing anything significant to my car's suspension.

arghman said:
I have two of these "Yankee Flipper" bird feeders that have batteries & a motor, to fling the squirrels away when they try to steal my birdseed. I got them three years ago. They were a bit expensive but can be rather entertaining. I put one of them up hanging from a pole on my deck, and the other from a bracket screwed into an ash tree. Before yesterday, both of them were in working condition.

I got up this morning and saw the battery/motor assembly for one of them lying on the ground, with no sign of the rest of the feeder or the bracket.

In my opinion you need a bigger motor and power source on your Yankee flipper so that next time you can fling the bear.

Love to see THAT one on the promotional video in the birdfeeder store! :D
<tomato shields up> Don't look -NAO, <tomato shields off> but the long range forecasts have started getting more consistent that the first half of Feb will likely be a good bit colder than January... hopefully just as much precip as January! I can't wait for a snowstorm that is not wet cement!

-Weatherman

Things are looking better for a good storm on Sat night/Sunday(2/11-12). Of course I've just cursed it, but 3 of 4 models are on the same page at this point. Hopefully this one won't be a dud like the last one was.