Losing Weight and Getting into Shape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lost another 10 more since the beginning of this post. I am now down to 190 :) The first 35 came off easy! Anymore the weight comes off harder and much slower but I feel great. I am going to work on my winter 46 this year and I really hope this weight loss makes a big difference. I will keep everyone posted :D

OH YEAH! I will be in the Sewards December 21 if anyone is interested. I will probably be camping out at the Blueberry Lean-to :p

I've started taking my weight loss goals a bit more seriously this past week.

Currently my stats are: Male, 6' 2", 37 - BMI: 37.5 - 290 Pounds

Although I'd love to see 200 lbs., my goal is 220 lbs. with an initial goal of 260 lbs. by spring hiking season.

My weaknesses are beer, pizza, soda, red meat, and candy. I've stopped the pizza, candy, and beer cold turkey this past Wednesday. Red meat consumption has dropped considerably and I will be done with carbonated beverages completely once the last Coke Zero is gone from my fridge.

I do not, surprisingly, have any issues with cholesterol or high blood pressure. I do have arthritis in a couple joints and very weak overall core muscles. Losing weight will help me exercise better and maybe I will even start to enjoy exercising one day. Hiking should also become quite a bit easier and I can start hiking closer to actual book times. :eek:

I think I am also going to go on Nutrasystem as I think I need to follow a very structured program right now to lose the majority of the weight I want to lose and, although I can cook and love cooking for others, I really hate cooking for myself. With a structured plan and the majority of the food sent to me, I am pretty sure I can have good results on the program.

I may not go on the Nutrasystem plan though. Apparently, I've lost 5 lbs. this week as I went to the doctor on Wednesday and weighed 295 lbs. on his scale as well as mine before going to the doctor. We'll see if I lose any more weight eating how I have been eating since the middle of the week.

I have lost another 10 more since the beginning of this post. I am now down to 190 :) The first 35 came off easy! Anymore the weight comes off harder and much slower but I feel great. I am going to work on my winter 46 this year and I really hope this weight loss makes a big difference. I will keep everyone posted :D

OH YEAH! I will be in the Sewards December 21 if anyone is interested. I will probably be camping out at the Blueberry Lean-to :p

Nice job slim! :D

I've only lost 5 lbs but my aerobics are up to 4 hrs a week now. Hopefull this will help me lose more weight as I now build up my intensity?

Terrible Thanksgiving, gained 7 lbs. :mad: I need to have a less bountiful feast for Christmas, with no "cheer". :rolleyes:

Terrible Thanksgiving, gained 7 lbs. :mad: I need to have a less bountiful feast for Christmas, with no "cheer". :rolleyes:
There's a whole bunch of empty calories in the "cheer". Find away to avoid those and it will get easier. I'm not a drinker but love plain old Egg Nog during the holidays which is just as bad for the waistline, if not more so.

I don't dare hop on the scale today. I ate waaaaay too much yesterday, but it was all so good. I did notice I couldn't eat as much in years past so maybe the stomach really does shrink after a while.

Hang in there Tobit. IMO, if you can get though the holidays without gaining, I would count it as a victory.

Before and After Photos!

I know what you mean! I gained 5 lbs but I snacked all day :eek: I knew it was a cheat day for me and I paid for it. But all I have to do it take a look at these pictures to keep me motivated.

Before (235LBS :mad:)

After (195LBS :)) I am on the right!

[/QUOTE]

Tobit, please don't feel bad about Thanksgiving. I gain weight every year around this time, and it takes me through February to get it off.

I've always had a struggle with my weight -- I'm only semi-fit now because of the hiking. Pre-child and when I lived in NYC, I did Pilates for an hour 3 times a week and walked 5-8 miles every night...just to maintain a normal body size.

Consider Thanksgiving a holiday, one of those where gaining weight is to be expected, and try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know.

How was everyones Holidays? Keeping that weight off I hope :D

Gained a pound since the week before Christmas. Although I was at home on vacation the whole time I didn't set foot on the treadmill, so I think I did well considering how much free reign I had given myself.

Now it's time to reel myself back in and start exercising again. Maybe the next 15 pounds that I want to lose will be gone by the time summer rolls around.

I ate like a pig and sampled every holiday brew that I could find in the liquor store. I also continued to workout like an animal at the gym and have already gotten plenty of use of the Denali snowshoes that I got for Christmas.

Rather than step on a scale and worry about what it reads, I use the Body Fat Calculator that we utilized in the Army. It basically takes into consideration your height, weight, waistline and neck measurements and based on all of those readings calculates a body fat percentage. I'm always below 20% which is pretty good for dude my age (48). My HDL has gotten higher while my LDL has gotten lower. I don't really care what I weigh as long as I can keep my numbers in a safe range. As long as I continue my exercise program, hiking routine and overall active lifestyle I should be fine.

Looking forward to some winter brews.

Lots of good advice and suggestions. However, remember to check YOUR cholesterol.

Lots of good advice and suggestions. However, remember to check YOUR cholesterol.
That's good advice for everyone whether on a "diet" or not.

I did that this fall with a long overdue physical. The numbers were good-to-excellent, except for my triglycerides which were on the high end of the normal range. Hopefully my continued exercise and better eating habits will help that.

Went from 195 to 215 during the holidays. I really believe it was do to the lack of excerise, well maybe a little to much food also. Have only ridden my mt bike 230 miles the last 3 months mainly because the trails have been to wet to ride. I weighed myself this morning and I am down to 205. Hopefully the trails stay dry.

last year I had a gym membership, realized it really just kept me out of the woods for $50 a month.