Losing Weight and Getting into Shape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean about falling in love and putting on the pounds. When my wife was pregnant I think I gained the weight with her. She had these crazy food cravings and I would eat right along with her :D

For me, it wasn't falling in love that put pounds on me (though SWMBO is an *awesome* cook), it was when our kids were little. More often than not, I'd end up finishing their meals for them...after eating my own, of course!

"You can't finish all your steak, sweetie? Here, pass Daddy your plate." :rolleyes:

Now that they're older and are (usually) eating normal-sized portions, this is much less of an issue.

The couple years that SWMBO ran her own pastry shoppe didn't help the waistline either, though it could've been much, much worse...

I know what you mean about falling in love and putting on the pounds. When my wife was pregnant I think I gained the weight with her. She had these crazy food cravings and I would eat right along with her :D

My wife craved peanut butter cup sundaes from Friendly's. Yeah, I put on a few pounds of baby weight too.

For me, it wasn't falling in love that put pounds on me (though SWMBO is an *awesome* cook), it was when our kids were little. More often than not, I'd end up finishing their meals for them...after eating my own, of course!

"You can't finish all your steak, sweetie? Here, pass Daddy your plate." :rolleyes:

Guilty of that too. My wife is also an awesome cook and the biggest adjustment for me has been portion control at the dinner table. I had to stop kidding myself and quit going for second and third helpings at dinner no matter how good the food is.

Among the benefits we've already brought up, a nice side effect for me was having my doctor give me all smiles yesterday at my physical. She didn't give me "the talk" last time I was there but she did remind me that I was getting to the age (30+) where exercise was going to be increasingly important and that I should get in the habit of working out regularly. My BP was down from 126/84 to 108/68, so I guess the heart is a tad more efficient. Like my BP, my cholesterol was never high but I'm still hoping for similar positive results from that test later this week.

As I was celebrating my birthday last week, I remember how the surgical resident, at my request, summed up my diet guidelines:

"It's easy. No cake, cookies, or ice cream. And keep walking."

The surgeon added: "It's not a good idea to be gulping down the bernaise sauce at Peter Lugers' steak house"

The cardiologist: "If it looks good, don't eat it."

Hope that helps.

We had to do these in grade school in the mid to late 1960's. We called them "Squat Thrusts". IIRC they were part of the NYS phys. ed. exam.

We did squat thrusts in grade school in the 70's, too (we just looked more dorky in our plaid polyester pantz :eek:).

However, the burpee isn't the same thing, if I understand it correctly, as the squat thrust is lacking the elements of A) the pushup, and B) the upward leap.

Maybe us old skoolers should think of the burpee as the squat thrust's (more attractive, yet more aloof) younger cousin...? :D

This is simple

1) stop eating crap food and eat less food
2) find time to move around....

A wise person told me this and I felt it needed be repeated...

So, beer is still OK?

2nd law of thermodymics. Or is it the 1st? Who cares? Pass the twinkies, the game's on. :D

It's all here: how to lose weight without trying:

\frac{V}{T} = \frac{nR}{p} and p = \frac{nRT}{V}

S_2-S_1 = nC_p ln\left(\frac{T_2}{T_1}\right) - nRln\left(\frac{p_2}{p_1}\right)

\frac{S_2-S_1}{n} = C_p ln\left(\frac{T_2}{T_1}\right) - Rln\left (\frac{T_2V_1}{T_1V_2} \right ) = C_vln\left(\frac{T_2}{T_1}\right)+R ln\left(\frac{V_2}{V_1}\right)

Come on, Neil. PV=nRT is the ideal gas law, not one of the laws of Thermodynamics. Are you planning on farting off the weight? :D

This is simple

Great mantra, Giggy!

This is simple

In Theory this should be true right?

Well with someone that has battled weight issues my whole life and never ate the "crap" food I was still of the bigger breed of humans. I still am but I am controlling my weight now. Yes I am eating healthier than before and exercising 5 times a week.

If I just sat on my ass and ate what I am eating now and did not exercise I would still gain weight. I believe it is all about someones matabolism. Take TCD for example. He said he can eat anything he wants and not gain an ounce. I dont have that option even though I wish I did :D

Come on, Neil. PV=nRT is the ideal gas law, not one of the laws of Thermodynamics. Are you planning on farting off the weight? :D
It says that if you throw him into cold water, he will shrink. It also says that he is likely to swell up at altitude particularly if he overheats... :)

(BTW, the ideal gas law has nothing to do with solids or liquids.)

C'mon Neil, throwing around basic equations won't get you anywhere if some of your audience understands LaTeX and the equations...

And that is the first law of thermodynamics that you want (energy is conserved). In other words, the energy (calories) in all that beer has to go somewhere...

Doug

Last edited:
C'mon Neil, throwing around basic equations won't get you anywhere if some of your audience understands LaTeX and the equations...
Let's keep this thread on topic eh?

How bout eating Gummis?

(Gummi, as you all know, is a lightweight LaTeX editor for the Linux/GTK+ platform, released as free open-source software.... )

Adam, are you a sleepwalker? If so it might explain some things.

I bet if you ate nothing for 60 days and only drank water you're weight would go down.

But I know what you mean, my sister has to diet like a top model or she looks like a blimp in no time. Lucky her, think of the money she saves on food.

This is simple

I agree ... and I heard it from an asshole.

Simple? Yup.

Easy? Not so much, for many people.

I've been following this thread with interest ever since Adam started it. I appreciate many of the thoughtful comments and insights.

I've known the "formula" for weight loss for a long, long time...and have been successful in losing weight from time to time. Seven years ago I was at my heaviest; lost about 45 pounds in about 4 months and gained 20 of that back in the next 6 months. I've struggled to maintain my current wait ever since (about 6 years). I'm very active and in pretty good shape (for the shape I'm in). Having said that, I would love to be 30-40 pounds lighter. I know that I would feel more fit, would have fewer foot and joint problems, etc. None of this is news to me.

The thing is, I think maybe there is something to this stuff about food addition, chemical triggers, and all that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing the victim here. I make my choices and live with the consequences. All I'm saying is that until you've walked a few hundred miles in my Montrails, please don't presume that you understand the very real challenges some of us face.

Last edited:
Simple? Yup.

Easy? Not so much, for many people.

All I'm saying is that until you've walked a few hundred miles in my Montrails, please don't presume that you understand the very real challenges some of us face.

Sounds a lot like myself. I'm on of those people who never seem to feel full. And when I do feel full, I could easily be raiding the fridge 20 minutes later. Yes, I'm a grown-up and know my actions have consequences but it's hard to stay on track when you're always fighting the uphill battle 365 days a year. I remember hearing one of Oprah's trainers tell her she may just have to get used to feeling hungry if she wants to get off the weight-loss roller coaster. She has gone from fat to thin and back about 32 times and has the money to pay the top trainers, nutritionists, and chefs in the business to help her stay thin, and yet she still struggles. And watching people who went through the gasrtic by-pass slowly return to their former shape (like Al Roker, though he's not near as big as before) tells me that even 2 or 3 years of strict dietary restrictions can still come undone.

I'm now the science behind it is simple.

Calories burned > calories consumed = weight loss

But I wish someone would find a way to turn off that hare-trigger response when I see, smell, or hear the mention of food.

I'm now the science behind it is simple.

Calories burned > calories consumed = weight loss

That is the physics behind it. I believe that the science behind it is far more complicated. I know we don't understand this as well as some imply and I am certain in the next 20 years we are going to find out that it is far more complicated then a simple gain/loss equation. This engine has the ability to change its metabolism based upon food intake due to several million years of evolution so when it needed to be able to thrive/survive the feast/famine cycles. The people that survived were the ones that were most efficient in that. And I'm not making excuses. Exercise and diet, long term are probably still the most effective way we have to combat obesity that we currently have.

As I have aged I am carrying more weight than I need and have been fighting to lose it also. :D

Keith