Losing Weight and Getting into Shape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I had by-pass surgery, I lift weights to be sure the legs are ready. Walk/jog also in there. No McDs, except the grilled chicken (no sauce). Only 3 more to the NE 4000.

You may revisit that point of view after your first bypass ;) - see RUP's post ...

See the rest of my post. I've been working out like an animal since I was in my teens and continue to do so at age 48. I have no intentions of slowing down, in fact I've increased my running speed and distance as I am getting older. I've had to lighten up on the weights a bit since I had a shoulder injury. I'm still hiking as much as I can to supplement my workouts.

Does this guarantee me anything? No. But I think I'm stacking the cards in my favor.

All the fat and clothing size you've all lost.......I've found! :mad: PLEASE contact me so I can give it all back!!!

I too am struggling. I just recently turned 40 and have quit smoking for the SECOND time in my life. The first time I had quit for 3 years and this time I've held fast for about 2 years, but have also doubled in pant size! :eek: I hate the way I look yet I still have a hard time sticking to a diet and exercise plan...I'm LAZY! I really try NOT to diet, but instead have been incorporating the "Body for Life" ideas. After all, dieting to me means you'll watch what you eat long enough to lose some weight, but will then go right back to the same routine of eating and thus....will gain all the weight back again. With "Eating for Life" you actually change the way you eat and continue that way of eating throughout your life. It has been a slow process for me. Much like when I quit smoking I am off again, on again. I have managed to lose 10 lbs and though I haven't stuck to my eating plan to the T I have been able to maintain that loss for the most part. Just over the last 3 days I have once again been more vigilant about what I eat. I really hope to decrease my hiking efforts for next season!! Kudos to all of you with your efforts and best of luck! May we meet on the trails and actually have room to pass each other!! :D

Hello,

I'm 6 feet tall and weighed 185lbs for years. About 3 yrs ago, I came down with a very rare auto-immune disorder called "Gillians Barre Syndrome". Within a few weeks I was down to 160lbs, and couldn't walk.:eek: Pretty scary stuff. After an IV treatment and a couple weeks of physical therapy, I was able to start walking again. I began over eating and weight training to change my appearance that bothered me to know end.

In less than 6 months I was back up to my original weight. I kept lifting and eating and within another year or so I was up to 215lbs. That's +30lbs. But, along with some muscle, comes the fat.:mad:

I hadn't hiked for a while, and last December I started hiking regularly. I've done about 28 4k's since. Some hikes I feel fine. Other hikes, I feel like throwing in the towel. I know if I lost 15lbs, going uphill would be easier on my quads and lungs, and going down would be easier on my knees. I should note that I have the lung capacity of a European swallow.

But, I've worked hard to put on some muscle, and don't want to loose it. But, I do want to loose some fat. From what I've read (and everyone's got an opinion), I need to eat about 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight to maintain muscle mass. So, I'm trying to do more cardio during the week, recently started eating less calories, but try to make sure I'm putting down enough protein. I supplement my diet with a couple protein shakes on most days. One in the morning, one right after lifting. On hiking days, I forgo the protein, and suck down tons of carbs for fuel.
Time will tell.......:confused:

Petch

It is a constant battle (I'll always be a fat person in my mind)...
Thanks for posting this. I'm not one to pin my problems on the excuse of "I'm just born that way" but I too believe some of us are more prone, for whatever physical or psychological reason, to gain excessive weight. I've always been a husky kid/guy, bordering on obese by BMI-chart standards, and have lost the required 25 pounds twice in the last 10 years only to gain it all back. This time around I'm down almost 20 pounds but I'm not dieting as much as before and I'm exercising a lot more. It's coming off at a rate of about 1 pound per week, which gives me hope that I can keep it off this time around.

This is what I did:

Quit my desk job and became a carpenter.

In my opinion, desk jobs are killing millions every year. I am serious!

Quit my desk job and became a carpenter.

In my opinion, desk jobs are killing millions every year. I am serious!

You have a good point there! I too struggle with weight issues. I was a healthy weight until about age 40, when I started gaining weight--while at the same time eating healthier (and I've worked in health communications for a long time, so my diet has always been pretty good). I no longer eat a scone for breakfast--something I did every day for 20 or so years. I have a salad or something small for lunch. And while I eat a full dinner, I rarely high-fat foods like pizza, burgers, pasta with cream sauces, or fast food. My downfall is a love of craft beers and red wine. I also do eat dark chocolate--but only one or two small squares a couple of times a week.

Because of a health condition a few years back, I went on a strict diet and dropped weight immediately. But I was eating like a BIRD. It was easy to stick to it because I felt so bad. I've never been thinner since I was in high school. But I ate almost nothing. Thankfully I got better and resumed a normal diet. And gained weight. I joined weight watchers and successfully lost weight. But I was ASTOUNDED at how little food you could eat. There is NO WAY I can live like that. I like life too much.

So my new tack is to first work on accepting that my genes dictate that I will be round. I've never fit the feminine ideal anyway, and given that I'm in my middle years, that isn't too tough. And I am determined to work out at least five days a week. And yes, when I do a long hike, I give myself permission to have a steak. I know it is possible to be round and fit. So I hope to make that a reality for me.

[So my new tack is to first work on accepting that my genes dictate that I will be round. I know it is possible to be round and fit. So I hope to make that a reality for me.[/QUOTE]

You ARE in shape.
Round IS a shape!!!!!!:p

I'm below 190lbs :D

First time probably since 1992...looking foward the hiking more this winter....which feels like today...I'm wondering if the weight loss will make me cooler in the winter....I've always been a very hot, sweaty hiker in the winter....Do you think the excessive weight loss will lower my resistance? I know that many friends who have very little body fat have to always keep moving....just wondering?

First time probably since 1992...looking foward the hiking more this winter....which feels like today...I'm wondering if the weight loss will make me cooler in the winter....I've always been a very hot, sweaty hiker in the winter....Do you think the excessive weight loss will lower my resistance? I know that many friends who have very little body fat have to always keep moving....just wondering?

Congrats on your weight loss.

You bring up a very good point. Since I have dropped 35 lbs and now I seem to be leveling off. The first 35 came off easy now the next 20 will be a BITC* Anyways, back to your point :D I share an office with a guy and him and I are always fighting over the Thermostat. I am always cold which I never was before and he is alway hot. We cannot find a happy medium in our office :eek:

So I think the answer to your question is yes. We will be colder this winter. Our fat layer is gone :)

Everything in moderation!

OKAY so I was wondering how many of you keep your great girlish figures 365 days a year and yes this goes for the men out there as well :D
Adam good going. Don't be too regimented or you will end up rebelling and go over to the dark side! Everything in moderation! I don't have any problem with weight but wanted to be the first gal to respond. :D

Ability to stay warm in cold temps is also related to diet. People who live at high altitudes usually have to include animal protein in their diet, even if it's somewhat at conflict in their beliefs, such as Buddhists.

I learned that interesting factoid from a discussion given by a Tibetian Geshe.

Congratulations to all who opt for a healthier lifestyle all around but moderation is a healthy balance between self discipline and self indulgence. The cardiovascular benefits and benefits to feet, knees and hips are worth a conscientious effort at good nutrition and useful exercise. A happy tailgate is also important, IMNSHO.

As for the loss of body fat, it does cost some insulation but I think that is overrated and can be compensated for by a modification of the layering system. With less body fat there is less work required to hike higher or longer.

Ultra fit people, i.e. very low body fat, are known to have lower survival rates than heavier peers under extreme conditions. They do not have that reserve of energy. I believe it is possible to compensate for this somewhat by maintaining a steady supply of high energy food and ddrink, especially in the form of sugars that are quickly absorbed and converted to energy, like fruit sugars. Modest love handles don't hurt, either ... at least that's my rationalization.

A few years back I took a hard look at what prossesed foods contained and didnt like what I saw. Take a look at the label on what your buying, some ingredient list are small books!!! and there isnt much food in there at all. I bought a big wok, I cook 90% of my food from scratch, fresh vegi's, chicken, minimal amounts of beef (and then only very lean) shrimp and alot of brown rice. I eat nuts, fruit, and natural dried vegi's and such. As far as staying fit, I hike every weekend and train during the week, Ill walk, bike ride or work around my yard, but I keep moving. Years ago I was kind of fit but not defined, I invented, what I still call the 5.10 workout, basically its this 1000 push-ups and 1000 sit-ups a week,if I miss a day, I make up for it the next day, but I never not achieve this weekly total. I know this sounds like alot, but I stared small, 25 of each a day and worked up, find your own number but believe me, these 2 exersises will tone your stomach, back, arms, shoulders and many important muscles along the way, point is its being religous about being healthy, its a mind set, the same one that gets you up hard peaks when your tired.

When I was younger and didn't have any spare fat on me I didn't have any problems keeping warm. Now that I carry a [mumble] lb spare tire I don't think I'm any warmer.

However during a diet, one is trying to burn more calories than one inputs--I could see being chillier then because the fuel tank is often empty. (However, when exercising one should still be able to generate plenty of heat.)

There is a lot of variation in how much heat people generate when exercising. Back in my skinny days I tended to generate lots of heat. In contrast a friend would generate far less. (I would be stripped down to the waist to dissipate heat, she would still have 2 layers on and would complain about getting cold if we stopped for over a minute or so.)

I suspect excess weight on the body is similar to weight in the pack. They both force you to work harder.

Doug

I used to be concerned about being a lean mean machine, but I realized that God had other plans. If i cut calories, my metabolism just slows down, so i dont end up losing any real weight. I work out a lot at the gym, but once i get a good rhythm going, i always end up throwing out my back, spraining a bad wrist tendon, having my knees act up, or my latest setback of tearing my hamstring and getting the flu. Maybe i will work my way back at some point, but i am embracing it and wearing some tight spandex shirts to show off my sexy gut, possibly buying a two size too small Lance Armstrong jersey and taking up cycling.