Lost Hiker on Mt Lafayette - FOUND!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grouseking said:
What can I say, I'm sick of people blaming everybody about everything. Its sickening. You hear it on the news all the time. Who cares what happens to Britney Spears kids? We don't know her, and never will.

All I'm saying is we, as humans, or at least as Americans are way too fast to point fingers, about everything. And if you are passionate enough about something, then look out, because thats when the real finger pointing starts. Its not even remotely fair to judge his situation. I went on a hike Sat, but stayed below the trees because thats all I had for protection. He went above the trees with full intentions of camping at Liberty Springs. So he had prepared for his situation. His boots might have been 3 season boots, but what are ya gonna do? Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and I don't think we as onlookers should go out and blame others and think we could be so much better. It almost sounds like we do this because it makes us feel better about ourselves in the long run because in general, Americans are very unsure people.

I am a firm believer that the only person you can blame is yourself.

In closing, leave this guy alone.

grouseking

In closing, based on the nature of the forecast, it was a bad decision to do what he did, the facts of his rescue bear this out. He put himself, and others, unnecessarily, in danger.

I don't see any hypocrisy between the fact that most of us have some tale of being lost, unplanned overnight or perhaps even an injury and the fact that we're critiquing a specific case.

The best tools we have are often the most primitive ... our brains being foremost ... so advanced thought and discussion goes a long way to preparing one for any number of eventualities ... none of which may be the eventuality that sneaks up behind you.

grouse,

I think you are misinterpreting “blaming” for “active probing” and “critical assessments” of the behavior that led to this person’s misadventure. This is all done in the spirit of learning what went wrong, what could this person have done differently and what can we all as a community of hikers take away as a positive learning lesson from this person’s unfortunate experience. Yes, at times it may sound like some of us get up on a high horse and sound condescending but you can read that into just about any written sentence without hearing the person’s inflection and intent. Sometimes some of the mistakes are quite obvious and the pointed criticism is in fact blunt, but justified. And yes, people are quick to be judgmental and there is some of that here, though I will say many of the critical judgments I have read here are accurate and informed, IMHO.

Having seen the weather reports for the weekend, I knew (with a high degree of certainty anyway) the higher exposed summits would be out of the picture for my hike Saturday morning. I was on the summit of Tecumseh at 9:30AM and it was 4 degrees and very blustery. I mentally extrapolated the conditions to the higher elevations and I envisioned conditions I certainly did not want to be experiencing. Subsequent viewing of the Trip Reports and Trail Conditions pages support the overall cold and windy conditions of the day.

Certainly everyone on this BB is glad that this guy escaped relatively unscathed. I was certainly surprised that he was able to get cell phone reception as far down from the ridge as he was. When I first heard reports of his cell phone calls, I figured him to be somewhere between the Skook and Greenleaf Trails. It was very fortunate of him to be able to get a signal in his location. Very fortunate. Without it and the SAR team, we’d be talking about a very different end game scenario.

There were numerous errors of judgment on the part of this team and to deny them is fanciful thinking. Ignoring weather forecasts and/or conditions, thinking they could get to Liberty Springs in these conditions, 3 season boots (“but what are ya gonna do?”), no readily available compass (speculation), splitting up the team. Yes, he had the cold weather sleeping bag but I wonder if he would have had it if these guys had planned a day trip up Lafayette. Adequate emergency planning or fortuitous happenstance?

I am sure that there will continue to be misadventures in the mountains and this BB is one among many forums where people will get together to talk about those misadventures to critically assess what went wrong and learn from the experiences. To think we will “leave this guy alone” because we are “unsure people” is a divergence from the reality of the situation. I have not seen any instances of “nyah, nyah, nyah, I’m smarter than him” but rather a studied series of people asking questions, others urging us not to speculate without better information and in the end, making blunt but accurate assessments of the mistakes made. The mere fact that several threads have sprung up concerning maps/compasses, sleeping bags for day hikes, winter pack contents and avoiding group separation are indicative of the desire to learn more, to improve our emergency preparedness and to pick up some more ‘common sense’.

JohnL

I also do not view this as blaming, or being negative towards Mr. Gagnon...to do that would be to say things like "boy, that was really stupid what he did - I would never do anything like that."
What is going on here is interesting discussion about a lot of the perils and mistakes that many of have made, could make or incessantly worry about possibly making.
I am a very careful hiker - I carry a lot of gear, have no qualms about turning around - this thread has exposed me (no pun intended) to a variety of other issues I may not have thought about, or thought about enough.
If I were the rescued party in this thread I would not have any issue with what has been written - I would like to add to it perhaps, but would be glad to read others thoughts and would hopfully add to my outdoors knowledge.

JohnL said:
grouse,

I think you are misinterpreting “blaming” for “active probing” and “critical assessments” of the behavior that led to this person’s misadventure. This is all done in the spirit of learning what went wrong, what could this person have done differently and what can we all as a community of hikers take away as a positive learning lesson from this person’s unfortunate experience. Yes, at times it may sound like some of us get up on a high horse and sound condescending but you can read that into just about any written sentence without hearing the person’s inflection and intent. Sometimes some of the mistakes are quite obvious and the pointed criticism is in fact blunt, but justified. And yes, people are quick to be judgmental and there is some of that here, though I will say many of the critical judgments I have read here are accurate and informed, IMHO.

JohnL

I hope you, and Sapblatt are right. We are an unforgiving culture, so anytime I see things like this, it sends up a red flag for me.

There is a long tradition in mountaineering of analyzing accidents in the hope of preventing future ones. For instance, the bowline (goldline rope) and then the double bowline (kernmantle rope) knots used to be the standard knots for climbers to tie into the rope. Accident analysis showed some unanticipated failure modes and the knot was replaced by the safer rethreaded figure-8 knot.

Proper accident analysis isn't about castigating the victim. It is about studying what happened, including errors made by the victim or his party if appropriate and trying to prevent a repeat. Next time you are at REI etc or a good bookstore, take a look at "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" by the American Alpine Club. There are online excerpts at http://www.americanalpineclub.org/pages/page/72. Accident reports by the pros.

In this case, the victim went out into predicted very severe conditions with inadequate equipment and made a navigational error resulting in his becoming lost off trail. He could have done a number of things to reduce the chance of problems, such as:
* do something else based upon the forecast
* turn back based upon observed the current conditions before reaching the ridge. (Note that the wind would have been at his back on the way up so he might have underestimated how hard it would be to travel on the ridge or descend back into it.)
* stay with the party--if all are looking for the turn-off, three are more likely to find it than one

As it was, they did decide to turn back from the ridge and made a mistake in execution.

Are there things we can learn from this to lessen the chance that it will happen to us? Of course:
* Stay aware of conditions, be flexible, and be willing to change plans at any moment
* Staying together probably would have been better--if one gets into trouble, perhaps the others can help him. All it takes is severely cold hands to make you unable to open your pack and get at the tools within.
* Don't go (or turn back) if you don't have adequate gear
* Look behind you so you know what the retreat route looks like
* Little mountains can have big mountain weather

None of these should be a suprise to an adequately experienced mountaineer, but these mistakes aren't rare.

We don't know how experienced the victim was with respect to the conditions found on the ridge, but what little we know suggests that he might have been out in conditions that he wasn't adequately prepared to handle. (eg, the boots)

Furthermore, for many, part of mountaineering is learning new skills. This often requires going out in conditions or doing things that may push one's envelope. And one is more likely to make mistakes and get into trouble at the edge of one's envelope.

As of yet, we only have limited information on what happened, what gear they carried, and their experience levels. When we learn more, perhaps some of the details of what I have said above will be invalidated, but there may also be more lessons.

Doug

Last edited:
As mentioned before this is not about ripping anyone (unlike perhaps the Cardigan hikers a few years back who only brought beer for gear or the guy found in the Dry River area a few years ago who did not bring a map & compass because he did not know how to use them or the Tripyramid hikers with no map & just a phone who called at each trail junction) but learning.

Many wear leather boots in winter, many wear the Columbia & Merrell winter insulated day-hikers too. If you wearing these, you probably should turn back sooner than someone in double plastics. IMO that should be part of your saftey equation

If you know sometimes you get turned around more easily or you are not familar with the mountain you are on (not everyone is as good with navigation as others & unlike the guy who had climbed Monadnock daily for several years some people's winter ascent is their first trip) you should take that into your assessment of turning back or continuing going up.

Time also, while many of us do hike with headlamps, many times its the first couple of miles or the last couple of miles when you are back in the trees. (if on a trail Vs. Bushwhacking) Hiking above treeline in the dark is much different, hiking in the dark above treeline in winter harder still. These guys did not do it this is more of a general notice, bad conditions is not the time to do your first above treeline night hiking.

It's my understanding that the wind did not pick up unexpectedly but was constant so visibility due to blowing snow should have been bad pretty much as soon as they got above treeline.

Regarding the Ed comment & snow wands, I'm not thinking there are many places with adequate snow up there to hold wands securely so I'm not really thinking wands are a viable choice on a trip like Franconia Ridge, they may be used in the Western Cwm but they aren't use all the way to the summit.

While the National Guard & the USFS staff may get paid, I'm thinking they would much rather answer questions about conditions & nice alternative hikes in bad weather then do rescues every week. A slip & fall is somewhat unexpected, (if you don't bring any traction device & you are planning a long winter hike it's probably expected - no one intends to get hurt though) in below zero temps snow on the ground or falling + winds over 50 MPH (forget 80 - 100) poor (no) visibilty should be anticipated. Traveling above treeline in those conditions needs to be well thought out.

In this particular case (either we have more details than I've read in these posts or we don't know yet - or maybe I've forgotten already :confused: ) I don't know where the other two decided to turn back & where they became seperated. Were they behind him so he did not know they had turned around? Did they all decide near the top & he went up to the summit thinking he would catch them? Did they all summit & the other two left sooner leaving him up there thinking he would soon catch them?

Last edited:
Mike P. said:
Regarding the Ed comment & snow wands, I'm not thinking there are many places with adequate snow up there to hold wands securely so I'm not really thinking wands are a viable choice on a trip like Franconia Ridge, they may be used in the Western Cwm but they aren't use all the way to the summit.
Agreed--this is not a place where there is much need for wands--it is an easily followed narrow ridge. There are trail signs (wands with words :) ) at the junctions.

In this particular case (either we have more details than I've read in these posts or we don't know yet - or maybe I've forgotten already :confused: ) I don't know where the other two decided to turn back & where they became seperated. Were they behind him so he did not know they had turned around? Did they all decide near the top & he went up to the summit thinking he would catch them? Did they all summit & the other two left sooner leaving him up there thinking he would soon catch them?
From post #1, this thread:
According to Lt. Doug Gralenski of N.H. Fish and Game, Gagnon, a graduate student at Plymouth, set out from Franconia Notch with two friends to hike Mt. Lafayette on Saturday morning by way of the Old Bridle Path.

On the mountain, the hikers -- equipped with cold-weather hiking and camping gear -- encountered severe winds, extremely low temperatures and limited visibility. They decided to turn around and return home, though the initial plan was to hike the Franconia Ridge and spend the night at the Liberty Springs Tent Site.

On the way back down the mountain, the group decided to split up, with Gagnon hiking ahead. His companions returned safely to the trailhead on Saturday afternoon, but Gagnon has not been seen since.
My reading is that they were on the ridge S of Lafayette when they turned around and split up. Gagnon missed the trail junction, continued toward N Lafayette, and turned east off the ridge. (Or he turned east off the ridge before reaching the trail junction--his footprints have been mentioned, but their location was not given.) The reports don't say which trail the other 2 took back down, but my guess is that it was Greenleaf Tr.

Doug

Last edited:
dms said:
In closing, based on the nature of the forecast, it was a bad decision to do what he did, the facts of his rescue bear this out. He put himself, and others, unnecessarily, in danger.

I disagree. Let's remember that two out of the three people in this hiker's party did not get into a pickle.

The move that clearly led to this incident was the group allowing itself to become split. Arguably, yes, had the group remained intact there would have been three people to go looking for. But it is at least equally probable -- and actual events suggest it is more probable -- that nobody would have become lost had the group stayed together.

G.

An article published on Monday in the Nashua Telegraph seems to indicated that they group never reached the summit - although it could be that the reporter had the facts mixed up a little with all the excitement that was going on.

Nashua Telegraph Article

Because of bad weather, the three turned back before reaching the top.

bobandgeri said:
An article published on Monday in the Nashua Telegraph seems to indicated that they group never reached the summit - although it could be that the reporter had the facts mixed up a little with all the excitement that was going on.

Nashua Telegraph Article

Because of bad weather, the three turned back before reaching the top.
A little hard to see how he would have ended up on the east side of the ridge if they turned back before summiting. Possible, but unlikely.

But isn't unusual for (particularly newspaper) reports to disagree with each other... As I read some of the other online newspaper reports, it looked like they all took the same newswire report, changed a line or two, and posted it.

Doug

Grumpy said:
I disagree. Let's remember that two out of the three people in this hiker's party did not get into a pickle.

The move that clearly led to this incident was the group allowing itself to become split. Arguably, yes, had the group remained intact there would have been three people to go looking for. But it is at least equally probable -- and actual events suggest it is more probable -- that nobody would have become lost had the group stayed together.

G.

Good point G. But regardless of the group split, imo the horrible weather played the most important role in this event. Heading out in those conditions has severe risks attached, the margin for error is razor thin. All folks I have hiked with in the winter over the years never would have headed up to that totally exposed ridge into the wind that had been long forecast. Under less severe conditions there may have been no problem. Suppositions aside, this event did occur, and folks were put at risk.

MadRiver said:
Thanks for the link Bob. I thought at 52 I was a little long in the tooth to even consider volunteering, but if the group photo is any indication, maybe not.

I do not think that [White] Mountain Rescue Service (MRS) and Androscoggin Search and Rescue (AVSAR) have Websites with photos, but knowing many of the folks on these teams, I can assure you that a lot of them are just as "long in the tooth" as many of us PVSART's. :)

Upper [Connecticut] Valley Wilderness Response Team (UVWRT) has a really cool Website, with lots of photos. http://www.dartmouth.edu/~janl/uvwrt/photos.html

As suggested in another post somewhere on this thread, NH Fish & Game indeed is in charge of all search and rescues in New Hampshire (all 911 calls are directed to them), although on technical terrain (ex. Huntington Ravine ice gullies, Cathedral, Whitehorse, and Cannon cliffs, etc.) they commonly defer on-site decisions to MRS. However, there are plenty of members on the other three teams who have technical climbing expertise, first responder certifications, EMT experience, and the like. The National Guard also takes orders from NHF&G on all SAR's. And, yes, workman's comp coverage for all SAR volunteers through NHF&G is really important.

I don't see a single case of callous, mean-spirited ripping of the rescuee on this thread. Each poster has been clear to state they are glad the person survived. We discuss the poor dicision to continue in those conditions on that exposed mountain in the interest of stressing how not to behave on a mountain in winter, so that anyone reading this will hopefully be smarter than that. I see no benefit in taking a "whatever, man, sh%t happens" attitude. That was major stupidity. Weather or not we also have been stupid is irrelevent. I have explained a series of stupid decisions I once made, not for the joy of self-flagelation but for the possible benefit ( and entertainment) of others.

Sure, weather forcasts can be wrong. This one obviously wasn't!!! They turned around because conditions were brutal!!! But Gagnon decided to keep going up, seperating from the two companions. Just what is the problem with criticizing this event? Someones' feelings might get hurt?

We don't criticize to make ourselves feel big and smart. It's constuctive and neccessary. There may have been people who wanted to hike that ridge that Saturday but decided not to based on past critiques of past disasters.

Last edited:
forestnome said:
They turned around because conditions were brutal!!! But Gagnon decided to keep going up, seperating from the two companions.

On the way back down the mountain, the group decided to split up, with Gagnon hiking ahead. His companions returned safely to the trailhead on Saturday afternoon, but Gagnon has not been seen since.

If we believe the latter quote from NH F&G, then all three turned around, then presumably Gagnon did not keep going up. Also presumably (as he went ahead) he missed the turn down from the ridge, while his companions did not.

It does not change or excuse the fact that they separated, however.

Tim

forestnome said:
Sure, weather forcasts can be wrong. This one obviously wasn't!!! They turned around because conditions were brutal!!! But Gagnon decided to keep going up, seperating from the two companions. Just what is the problem with criticizing this event? Someones' feelings might get hurt?

Gagnon did not decide to keep going in the articles I read. He was separated from his party.

Gagnon, a graduate student at Plymouth State University, went hiking on Saturday with two of his friends. Because of bad weather, the three turned back before reaching the top. On the way down, Gagnon and the other two, who made it down the mountain that afternoon, became separated. Gray said Gagnon has not been in contact since 8:00 a.m. Sunday, when he last called his two friends.

This event does not need to be criticized. The man has alot of phycological and physical emotions that now need to heal, in peace. He does not need the added stress of the Hiking Community. Let Gagnon go on with his life, instead of everyone telling him, "What a bad mistake" he made.

bikehikeskifish said:
If we believe the latter quote from NH F&G, then all three turned around, then presumably Gagnon did not keep going up. Also presumably (as he went ahead) he missed the turn down from the ridge, while his companions did not.Tim

If they were all on the way down, then they were already on the west side of the mountain. He was found low on the east side. How did he get there?

Of corse he needs to heal. We all wish him well. What's the problem with the discussion? He's probably strong enough to endure it. I doubt this will cause him any harm.

Last edited:
since I was not there...

I don't think anyone on VFTT knows exactly what happened. He ended up on the east side of Lafayette and was not able to self rescue even though he is reported to have had a -30 bag. A simple compass would have got him back. He could have been injured or there could have been other factors.
Personally, I would wait for more information before drawing conclusions.

forestnome said:
If they were all on the way down, then they were already on the west side of the mountain. He was found low on the east side. How did he get there?

What's the problem with the discussion? He's probably strong enough to endure it. I doubt this will cause him any harm.

He may have gotten disoriented and ended up on the other side of the Mountain. This happens with hyperthermia and frostbitten victims.

It's almost like he is on trial and this discussion in general, has turned into his Judge and his Jury. The facts need to be given first and what I have read, seems none has been yet.

Perhaps fear is what we all feel when we read stories like this, the fear of knowing we at anytime could be in the same situation.

Someone wrote what if they had not been planning on staying at Liberty Springs that night, would they have packed the sleepling bag if only for a day hike?

Things I do not leave behind in the back of my car, for fear of the unknown always makes me ask myself, What if?

sleeping bag
bivi sack
first aid kit
stove and fuel/matches
extra shirt/fleece/socks
wind pants and or snow pants
Hard shell windproof/waterproof
down jacket
balaclava
mittens/over mitts
hand warmers/foot warmers
extra food
water at least 2 naglene bottles
compass/map
snowshoes
crampons
thermorest
ice ax
goggles
face mask
ID

It was many years ago when I first went on my first ever hike to the White Mountains in early September. I went with my brother David and I can still remember sitting in the basement surrounded by plastic bins filled with all sorts of things, goggles, face masks, stuff sacks, down jackets, fleece.... and as my brother kept handing me things to put in my pack, I kept on saying we're only going for a weekend, why do we need all of this? I soon found out. The very next day as we hiked up Tuckermans over to Lakes (we stayed in the dungeon) we encountered high winds, little to no visibility and sleet, I then understood why.

We all are here to learn from one another. : )
kamc

Last edited: