Lunch ideas for winter hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmus said:
I might seem stupid here but I don't know what is MRE's :eek:

Carole, thanks for making me hungry so early in the afternoon ;)

Bite size cutted food is a great advice, and I love the "Gorp in a bottle" idea.

As for all the American-made food like Twinkies, Devil Dogs, Funny Bones some of you mentionned, I don't think I am gonna find that in Montreal...

Thanks to all

Timmus, MRE's are "Meals Ready to Eat," used by the military. In the past I have found them to be heavy and not very tasty, and filled with unnecessary things. I admit I haven't had one recently. Perhaps they've changed for the better?

rhihn said:
Timmus, MRE's are "Meals Ready to Eat," used by the military. In the past I have found them to be heavy and not very tasty, and filled with unnecessary things. I admit I haven't had one recently. Perhaps they've changed for the better?

I used to be in the army and damn heavy and bulky - much better stuff out there.

Stromboli

Make a Stromboli (pizza dough with sauce, cheese and pepperoni on it, rolled, and baked. You can also add green peppers, onions, and/or mushrooms). Alternatively, you can get one from Sbarro's or any Italian food place. Slice the roll into 1" slices, then take them in a plastic ziplock.

I like choc. whey with blue ras. gatorade, jerky, harvest powerbars(they dont freeze up as bad) rasins and peanuts, and best of all fig newtons. On long hikes during the winter ive read that it is best to eat foods on the lower end of the glycemic(sp?) index due to the fact that they are slower to digest thus possibly producing a more thermogenic effect in your core.

I carry a stove and a pot,
more often than not.
There's nothing quite like
hot soup on a hike;
or coffee, or cocoa, or tea
make the weight easily worth it for me.
So do what you want, even eat frozen brie,
but a hot meal's just the ticket for me! :p

Great post and great ideas! I especially like the stromboli suggestion, and the suggestion to cut up big things into bite sized pieces ahead of time (thanks!). In the past, I've done turkey wraps or pb&j, hidden in pockets so they won't freeze, along with cheese, gorp, and bite sized snickers--the best. And the thermos with hot chocolate or tomato soup is one idea I'm really looking forward to this winter...
-katie

Curds

Cheese is OK when frozen hard, just difficyult to eat. However, if you bring a pack of cheese curds, they are easy to eat, even at -30.

Also, if you runinto someone with fries, and someone else with sauce, you can have a poutine party!

Winter has the extremes of temperature and I find I play with the menu accordingly. On sunny winter days, the summer fare works fine. However, hot chocolate goes in the pack in November and stays with me till the snow melts. I carry most of my food in my extra water bottle coolie and have had great results carrying: most varieties of cheeses, double chocolate milanos, smoked salmon bagelwichs, almond encrusted croissants, chocolate honey walnut butter muffinwichs, smoked duck, vanilla pudding tarts, and more yummy stuff. The coolie insulates and provides padding for protection. My trail mix is in one (or maybe two for the sewards, etc.) of those nalgene 8 oz. wide mouth containers. Mitten accessible. Very big plus.

Now, seeing as how I hiked half my winter round with your 46er correspondant who is also from Montreal, I can tell you her favorites are Bounty chocolate coconut bars (very yummy) chunks of cheeses I can never pronounce, bars of pistachio nouget, and these awesome little fruit jelly candies. If she can handle the full Sewards twice in one winter, then there must be magic in them Montreal vittles.

Have fun this winter!

rollups

As a fellow sandwich lover, I suggest using soft tacos and filling them wiith all manner of high fat options mentioned in earlier posts. The tacos are moist, dont's crush like bread and won't freeze if stored somewhere deep in your pack or close to your body as has been suggested. Did anyone mention peanut butter? Really a great food and can be eaten in many ways beyond traditional jelly options. One of my favorites is with hot sauce and perhaps some steamed brocolli (which might freeze, oh well) . Bizarre? Not really, just think about use of peanuts and peanut butter in spicy Chinese and Ti dishes.

Doc McPeak said:
most varieties of cheeses, double chocolate milanos, smoked salmon bagelwichs, almond encrusted croissants, chocolate honey walnut butter muffinwichs, smoked duck, vanilla pudding tarts,
Jee-zus. If that's winter hiking then I say, Bring on Winter!

A variety of assorted snack size choclate bars unwrapped and tossed in a baggy are handy(chocolate is always best when its cold). Boullion cubes in a light thermos is nice. Freeze dried sphagetti is easy to cook up. Do it in its pack and no clean up.
Lots of interesting ideas on this thread.

Doc McPeak said:
... most varieties of cheeses, double chocolate milanos, smoked salmon bagelwichs, almond encrusted croissants, chocolate honey walnut butter muffinwichs, smoked duck, vanilla pudding tarts, and more yummy stuff.

Most of the time, I have to force myself to eat, it's like I am never hungry. But it would not be the case if all this is in my pack !

Doc McPeak said:
Now, seeing as how I hiked half my winter round with your 46er correspondant who is also from Montreal, I can tell you her favorites are Bounty chocolate coconut bars (very yummy) chunks of cheeses I can never pronounce, bars of pistachio nouget, and these awesome little fruit jelly candies. If she can handle the full Sewards twice in one winter, then there must be magic in them Montreal vittles.

:) Say hello to Christine, BTW she is a very good correspondant.

Freeze-pops anyone? Cause you can't easily carry them in the summer :)

Usually candy and power bars. Sometimes Gu, because you can warm it up in your pocket. For lightweight hiking.

Otherwise, you can do many things with a stove.

Last edited: