Maine - Abraham via the Fire Warden's Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickers

Reaction score
Looking for current info on the road conditions going into the Fire Warden's trail, been a few years since I have been up that way.

Thanks - Cindy

I can offer you second-hand, year-old information ;) It was drivable up to about 1/4 mile before the trail head in a standard passenger car.

Sorry it's not more recent or more useful.

Tim

Cindy, I also have an old report of july 2010 on that.
The road to get to the trailhead of Highway 27 to Kingsfield, except for the paved section was in very poor condition. I would not say it's comparable to Caribou Valley Road, but except of the bridges crossing on CVR, some sections of the road, are similar. So, I have drove slowly to get to destination.

I got lost looking for it, so entered from the S via AT.

FYI, I was up there last weekend. The road is passable to both first and second trail heads with a standard passenger car. The bridges over Rapid Stream are a little tricky as one has dropped some on the far end but is still very safe, just need to approach it at an angle due to the bump. Good swimming hole under the second bridge if you want to get a good inspection of the underside for safety purposes. :D

FYI, I was up there last weekend. The road is passable to both first and second trail heads with a standard passenger car. The bridges over Rapid Stream are a little tricky as one has dropped some on the far end but is still very safe, just need to approach it at an angle due to the bump. Good swimming hole under the second bridge if you want to get a good inspection of the underside for safety purposes. :D

Thanks all.

Thanks Yogi; I have a jeep so clearance should not be a problem. I was wondering what condition the bridges were in.

I still have my maps and directions from the last time I was in there, so finding the trailheads should not be a problem either. :)

I'm looking forward to visiting Maine again!!

Happy Trails - Cindy

A group of us is going up this week, and I'm thinking of setting up a shuttle so that we can hike Sugarloaf, Spaulding and Abraham - in via CVR and out via the Firewarden's Tr. Sure would beat an "out and back" hike.

If successful and if we choose this route, I'll post conditions in my trip report.

Here is another option for you, if you're comfortable with a short bushwhack:

Instead of out-and-back after Abraham, at the junction of the Abraham trail and AT, go west downhill following a herdpath which will take you down to an old logging road. Follow the road west, then north, then east, and finally north and it will bring you by Caribou Pond and back to the AT junction on CVR. This avoids going back over Spaulding and the shoulder of Sugarloaf.

Last year I did this loop, also with Redington and the Crockers; see HERE.

The road in from Jordan's Lumber in Kingfield is passable all the way to the Firewarden's Trail. I had a Subaru in there a month ago. I actually stopped before the last bridge, but there were two Subarus parked at the trailhead.

My wife and I took a shuttle in to Perham Stream, climbed up to do Spaulding on the AT, backtracked to the side trail to Abraham, then over Abe asnd down the Firewarden's Trail.

When you hike down the Firewarden's Trail, you should cross the first logging road you come to and continue to the end of the trail which has the sign listing distances to the peak.

This trail has been relocated this summer and the blazing is good below tree line. If you come in from the AT, us logic to figure out which cairns to follow down.

Fourfingers
[email protected]