map and compass reading course

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
Has anyone taken a map and compass course that they enjoyed that didn't cost one arm and one leg or your first born. (Can't part with him) I really feel like I need to take one with the kids to make me feel a little more confident in my skills.

I've never taken a map and compass course, I was fortunate enough to get all my map and compass training in the Army thus not having to pay for it. But I do know some folks who took this course and found it to be very good. They not only teach map and compass but introduce you to the GPS as well.

This might be helpful

My gf and I took such a class a few years back.....for free. It was held at a local outfitter and was offered a few times a year. I'd say around 15-20 people showed up and it was very rudimentary.....it was more of an introduction to maps and compasses than an orienteering course. I don't know if this is something typically done elsewhere.....they even had coffee and cookies on hand! The shop was in Old Saybrook, CT, I think.....

You might also check out the local Orienteering club or perhaps an AMC orienteering faction. Many of them will hold intro Orienteering classes where they will teach you Map and Compass skills as well as UTM grid and basic orienteering features and stuff. AMC holds one down by me usually in Harriman SP in Orange/Rockland county in the Silvermine area..

I was self-taught with map and compass, I believe by reading and playing with compasses and just bushwacking a lot in the catskills.

Jay

I just helped run an AMC Map and Compass Course at Harvard Cabin at the end of Sept. The Boston Chapter runs one every fall, but that may be too far off for you.

-dave-

There are also books on the topic: "Be Expert With Map & Compass" by Bjorn Kjellstrom seems to have a good reputation. (Never read it myself.) Availiable at the usual outdoor outlets.

Doug

Orienteering Handbook

I have a book called "Be Expert With Map & Compass" by Bjorn Hjellstrom. This is a paperback and says "more than 500,000 sold" on the cover. It's a pretty good book which tries to make orienteering fun and has a lot of pictures, lessons, and examples to try with map and compass. It might be good to have and take to the woods with your family.....

I should use this book to practice with and brush up my own skills, which could also use improvement :rolleyes: :)

EDIT: Just notice that Doug Paul beat me to recommending it, must have posted a nanosecond before I did! :D In any case I have the book and have used it in the past, it's the best book I've seen on the subject.....

Last edited:
the starchild said:
i am at work and don't have the book infront of me, but i think its called Staying Found. It was recommended by several people and i found it to be informative.
I have the book also. It's one of the better ones I own.

I'm largely self-taught, having read Fleming's Staying Found and Kjellstrom's Be Expert WIth Map & Compass, but would only consider myself tolerably albeit uncomfortably competent. I haven't gotten lost (yet), but I have to admit that I'm often pleasantly surprised when things work out the way they should, based upon my readings. I forget where I read it, but the notion of trusting one's compass and not one's perceptions or inclinations has been very useful--and on the money--at times. Still, the main problem that I have is me: When I take a bearing to try to figure out what peak or feature I'm looking at I all-too-often think I can trust my poor sense of distance rather than the line of the bearing. (Don't think, John!) Being a belt and suspenders type of dude, I recently bought a gps unit to supplement a compass and map.

We live near Concord/Manchester NH. I have a couple of books and a tape about map and compass but I'm more of a learn it as I do it.

I took the AMC Map and Compass course last month that Dave Metsky helped teach. It was fun and we didn't get lost. Thanks Dave! It only takes an hour (or two) to learn the concepts, but if you want to master the skills you need to practice it. The course was fun because it was a full weekend so we all got a lot of practice. If you don't want to pay anything, I would suggest trying to organize your own short bushwack and hopefully someone who knows something will come along and teach you. (They may be more inclined to teach you if you bring the beer).

Check out UNO, the Up North Orienteers. UNO webpage. Great group, not too far from where you are. They have run ROGAINE's in the past as well as standard orienteering meets. I think they run about one ROGAINE a year and they are such a blast. Really good group of people. I did at least one ROGAINE with them and enjoyed it tremendously and they also sometimes set up a ROGAINE that you do at your leisure which is also tons of fun. Pure navigational challenge. Excellent way to practice or brush up.

Keith

The best map and compass program I ever attended was a session run by an orienteering group (NEOC, New England Orienteering Club, IIRC?) intended to train volunteers to conduct an intro orienteering experience. It's a little hard to explain, but it was a completely different window on the general topic and for whatever reason it made all kinds of things in my head go 'click' that had never really done so before. Might be worth looking into...