Mooseland Grill Burned Down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
I just heard on the local news, that the Mooseland Grill in Twin Mountain, NH burnt down last night.
The Moosland Grill was located on Rt.302, going toward Zealand and The Mt.Washington Hotel. This was a restaurant used often by Hikers and Skiiers.
WSC

man that licks. :eek: i drank a substantial amount of alcohol there. i hope they rebuild another good bar there. maybe moat mountain brewery could open up a branch. that'd be way way sweet! :) :) :)

I drove by the grill twice yesterday and everything appeared fine from the outside. Hopefully they are fully insured and can get back on their feet quickly.

I really like Bruno's idea of opening up a Moat/Twin Mountain brewpub.

TenPeaks said:
I drove by the grill twice yesterday and everything appeared fine from the outside.

Sounds like perhaps you drove by before the fire.

It has been for sale and it would really be a loss for hikers and bikers as there's really no other place in that area so comfortable and accomodating. Here's hoping that no one was hurt and that things return to "business as usual" soon. :(

Double Bow said:
Here's hoping that no one was hurt and that things return to "business as usual" soon. :(

The report I read was that the fire started aroun 11:00 PM. There were no injuries and the house and propane tank nearby did not receive any damage.

I am shocked :eek:! I always relished their delicous bacon cheeseburgers and colossal desserts. It is my hope that Mooseland owners will use this as an oppertunity to rebuild and finish any projects they had in mind.

bruno said:
i hope they rebuild another good bar there. maybe moat mountain brewery could open up a branch. that'd be way way sweet! :) :) :)

The Twin Mountain Chamber of Commerce has been trying for quite a while to attract resturants but apparantly there is not enough mid-week draw.

bobandgeri said:
The Twin Mountain Chamber of Commerce has been trying for quite a while to attract resturants but apparantly there is not enough mid-week draw.

Yeah, they need it. One time (a few years back) I had a funny experience in Twin Mt. Me and a buddy went to a restaurant that seemed to be busy. Turns out everyone that was in the restaurant (at the bar) worked there. When we showed up, they all ran back in the kitchen to cook etc. We were the only ones in there! Funny stuff.

P.S.

That place is no longer there.

Here's the brief news story:

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/6588732/detail.html

It's a pity - it had good chow and good beer. It was a nice place.

Ironically it was where I had my last meal (after a great day snowshoeing) before my house burned, and I - partly - with it. Thus it was my last meal of solid food for months. It was a great meal with great company (a number of VFTT'ers), although I was a bit too wiped out from getting up at 4AM to enjoy it fully.

Bummer to see it go, but the idea of a Moat Mtn Brewery there is awesome. Drool! I can taste the sweet potato fries now! Damn, now I am dying for a pulled pork sandwich and a Bear Peak Brown Ale too. I gotta go eat lunch....

Bruno...I'll meet you and the little lady at Moat Mountain in 3 hours...you owe me a beer! :D

- darren

The Moat Mountain idea is good, but I always got a Woodstock Inn Pigs Ear when I went there. I heard they are planning to rebuild, but wonder why if they were planning to sell.

NO FRICKIN' WAY! That really sucks! I love that place!!! The owners really created a great place to eat, I hope they can get back on their feet soon. Man.... :(

Some Mooseland Grill history (and a pledge to rebuild) from today's Littleton Courier. The 3/302 junction has a long history of hospitality for White Mountain visitors, including the Twin Mountain House from the era of railroad travel and the YD Cabins, which were part of the transition to auto touring and the mo-tel.

[start quote]According to the Twin Mountain/Bretton Woods Historical Society, the Mooseland Grill is believed to have been built in the early 1900s, most likely in the early to mid-'20s. It was originally known as YD Cabins, named for the 26th Division of the Army in World War I, which was also called the Yankee Division. The highway past the building, now known as Route 302, also bore the earlier name of Yankee Division Highway. Over time, the business changed hands and existed for much of the mid-20th century as Winnie McCauley's Store. The store originally sat much closer to the river, but was moved on blocks in 1973 or 1974 to sit closer to the new road being built, the present Route 302. Later it became the Big Red Store, and in the mid- to late-1980s, it was bought by Bruce Glazier, who ran the Holy Cow ice cream and gift shop.
Historical Society member Phil Bell is the current owner of the marble soda fountain that graced the Holy Cow. Bell said the wooden back-bar of the fountain was still in the bar area of the restaurant when it burned and estimated its value at around $5,000.
The Holy Cow was sold to the Boykos of Jefferson before the Eastmans purchased the building eight years ago and Dawn Eastman changed the personality of the establishment, bringing the Mooseland Grill to life.
Dameron said he does plan to rebuild the restaurant. "That's my intention," he said. "I've had a lot of positive feedback and that's what I want to do." [end quote]