More about pulks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
Questions about pulks

I've never really thought about pulks but the other thread has me curious. I'm thinking the only way I may get through some of the W48 will be to do some camping.

I know a lot of you have pulled them to Chimney Pond etc. More or less flat hiking, but has anyone pulled one on a Bonds Traverse? I usually carry 40+lbs when backpacking. How does it compare to carrying that much? Easier? Harder? Hard to say? How much do you pull when pulling it?

Can you rent one somewhere?

KDT

Last edited:
usually once the pulk is moving, inertial does a good job of removing the weight. So you'll feel a pull on the harness just from inertia but once the pulk is moving,t he weight isn't too bad. Upon going uphill, that's when you feel it moreso than a backpack, if it's steep enough and your harness is slipping or so, you get that pull-push-pull-push kind of feel which is harder to be smooth than when going flat. There is a certain technique on the flats to make the push-pull thing less evident and of course, this is also a function of your harness quality, and the compression ability of your poles (i.e. aluminum is going to transfer more force to your harness than say plastic conduit).

So, for flat approaches, the perceived difficulty of pulling one more weight is reduced as compared to if you carried it in a backpack, at least IME.

Jay

Sled trips are highly do-able. I pulled my loaded sled from the Lincoln Woods parking lot up to the steep part on Bondcliff Trail. There, I just clipped the sled to a tree, summitted with a fanny pack, and went back to the sled to camp. Plus, you can bring way more stuff with a sled if you plan your trip right.

Another particularly memorable sled trip started on the Hancock Notch Trail on the Kanc, went to Cedar Brook Trail, Wilderness Trail, Nancy Brook Trail down onto Route 302- all done while pulling sleds that cost about ten bucks each to make. The only point where they had to be jettisoned ahead was when we got to the top of Nancy Cascade. Fun!

It takes some trial and error with construction and you'll swear that the slightest uphill incline is insurmountable, but it really is a blast. Watch out for those double stringer puncheons that span steepish water crossings. The slightest miscalculation will take you out! Be sure to bring lots of friends!

When conditions are right - packed snow and a mostly flat trail - pulling a sled makes a lot of sense. So, on occasion, I've pulled a sled (Aubuchon variety) to Zealand (where I've hidden it in the brush below the hut), on the Gale River Road to do peaks like Galehead and the Twins, and out to the Bonds. On the Bonds I left the sled about where the old camp site is located, and picked it up on the way back.

You can just use a piece of rope to pull the sled when it's mostly flat. Handles become necessary when you go downhill to prevent the sled from running into your heels. Pulling a sled uphill is a much different matter though, and is more work than carrying it as the backward tug is constant and relentless. But, don't take my word for it - give it a try.

The hardest aerobic experience of my life was skiing (skating) up Livermore Road pulling Amanda in a pulk. She was 6 months old, and weighed maybe 15 pounds, plus the pulk weight. Of course the better the bottom surface, wax, etc., the better. Skiing back down the road I had to V2 for all I was worth just to keep up with my wife, so even the weight coming down the hill didn't make up for the drag over the snow.

My wife skied with her in a kid-carrier pack and it didn't slow her down much at all.

Pulling her behind my bike, even at age 2.5 and 30+ pounds was nowhere near as difficult.

Tim

Sleds are great when the terrain is optimal for them. Flat terrain is the best.
I'd avoid bushwhacking, routes with lots of steep ups, downs and sidehilling.
Consider stream crossings, bridges, blowdown in your calculations. Downhills and sidehilling can be a nightmare pulling a sled if the snow is heavily iced or crusted.
Sledding a 70 lb winter pack on a flat or gently rolling trail, snowed-over road, lake is so much easier than carrying the same pack on your shoulders.

To a point, yes, the zig zags can be rough but I've found stiffer arms let you "steer" the sled better than the flexible ones. My aluminum EMT arms work well in that regards, it becomes more of a harness limitation than the arms themselves but in a tight turn, I can reach back with my arms and grab my handle and assist the turn.

Jay

My question is, with a dog like Brutus, why in the world were YOU pulling the sled?:confused:
That's a good point! When the road/trail is rather wide, like the Gail River Road, or the Wilderness trail between Lincoln Woods and bridge, I don't - he does, and loves it. He's one of those dogs who lives to pull or carry something, and he gets rejuvenated doing it.

I remember one time when a friend and I had done Galehead and the Twins from 5 Corners, and were really dragging (no pun intended) by the time we reached the trailhead on the return, and Brutus was also tired. We loaded our packs onto the sleds we'd stashed nearby, attached the rope to Brutus' harness, and to my amazement he started began pulling strongly on the sled and soon broke into a trot. I had to jog to keep up with him. After about 2 miles he crashed, laid down and rested for about 2 minutes - and then got up and started running again.

Some dogs just love to pull things.

Last edited:
You can just use a piece of rope to pull the sled when it's mostly flat. Handles become necessary when you go downhill to prevent the sled from running into your heels. Pulling a sled uphill is a much different matter though, and is more work than carrying it as the backward tug is constant and relentless. But, don't take my word for it - give it a try.

Very true.

I haven't gone to handles yet but that's because of where I go. If you can get your gear for two people on one pulk then the rear person can control the pulk on the downhills. It's worked out very nicely. I also like using really long bungees for much of the pulling and holding back. That's strictly a personal thing.

A sled/toboggan/ahkio/pulk is a tool suited to some circumstances very well and to others not at all. Peakbagr has succinctly covered the subject above.

"And so my fellow Americans, think not what your sled can do for you, but what you can do with your sled." :)

Lots of great information on this and the other thread.

I am in the process of getting together my Aubuchon's/Paris expedition sled for trek into baxter this February..It looked like the simplest most cost effective way to haul gear for occaisional use over relatively even terrain..

I am not sure if I would want to haul it across the Bonds but goal would be to hopefully traverse that hike anyway

Good tips everyone..thanks

Years ago I fashioned a smaller "red" sled to haul stuff with mixed results..ie..burrowing, tipping , tracking all over the place.. the longer, wider, stiffer construction of the Expedition looks like it will work fine

I know a lot of you have pulled them to Chimney Pond etc. More or less flat hiking, but has anyone pulled one on a Bonds Traverse? I usually carry 40+lbs when backpacking. How does it compare to carrying that much? Easier? Harder? Hard to say? How much do you pull when pulling it?

6 years ago I did a Hale/Zealand/Bonds traverse with a 40 lb sled, and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done (I swore I would never do it again). :eek:

Last winter I pulled another 40 lb sled up and over Mt. Abraham in Maine on a traverse from Barjum to Kingfield and I had forgotten how painful it was! :rolleyes: I totally regretted it on the descent...

Anyway, sleds are awesome for low grade stuff like the Wilderness Trail, but are horrific when dragging them over peaks. I use a rigid harness sytem, so going downhill my sled can never go past me and works quite well, but it does push me and puts lots of stress on my hip belt... Going uphill is easier than going down because the sled is a lot easier to control.

The biggest problem is manuvering below treeline on those narrow winter trails (regardless of going up or down). Sleds hang up on all of the small spruce trees and they also don't do well on rocks (like the summit of Guyot).

Pulks are awesome for low grade out and backs, but that's about it...

Alternative Perspective

Kevin, Judy and Emma-

I have to preface my remarks with the obvious point that I am biased for pulks but I wanted to offer an alternative perspective. While pulks are NOT good in low snow pack, rocky ridge lines, or when crossing frequent unfrozen streams or blow downs- a good pulk design and ski equipment can handle some of the problems others have listed.

Fins or skegs on the bottom of your sled reduce problems with downhill sections and crossed poles allow your pulk to track behind you amazing well even on winding heavily forested trails. Good harness control combined with fins allows ski descents under control and experienced pulk users talk about the pulk as providing a little extra stability in linking their telemark turns.

Good ski climbing skins make pulling a load up steep hills no worst than hauling the same load over a steep section on your back. Hauling a pulk load up a mountain on a steep grade IS exhausting but to be fair ... you have to compare your 70 pound sled load to the same trip with a 60 pound pack on your shoulders.

In deep fresh powder keeping your balance on skiis is hard enough without adding that 60 pound pack exagerating your occasional lack of balance. What I like best about the pulks- is that with every minor stop to catch your breadth you are completely at rest unlike your partners shouldering their load.

Have fun with your experimentation - I just thought you might enjoy a different perspective. Ed B

What I like best about the pulks- is that with every minor stop to catch your breadth you are completely at rest unlike your partners shouldering their load.

Interesting. When I skied pulling my kid in a pulk, the hardest part (the whole process was hard, btw) was getting it going. I didn't want to stop. Granted this wasn't an expedition, but it does demonstrate Newton's First Law rather well.

With a properly-adjusted daypack, I can't say I have ever felt it has caused me fatigue. Note I say daypack as I haven't ever backpacked, and so the load is far lighter.

Tim