More in the Bow of a Kayak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
As many of you know I am building a kayak. I have spent considerable time, not only building the boat, but also considering the best design as well as the various aspects of efficient packing to make the most of limited storage space.

Consider the design of a kayak: the long, pointy shape makes it very efficient in moving through the water with minimum energy expended, as well as a beauty to behold. Yet, with the same stroke of the designer's pencil, this long, tapered shape yields the vessel inefficient for packing with provisions for long expeditions.

009.JPG

The bow in particular: long, thin, beautiful (like so many things matching this description) begs for inspired thought. How does one make this long thin area useful and contributory to the survivability of long expeditions. Specifically, how does one put more in the bow.
:)
:D

With BOWMORE!

016.JPG

013.JPG

Nice boat, really cool, enjoy it.

I saw a triangular dry bag that I believe also acted as a flotation device for sale at Campmor.

Fill it up with hot dogs.

... great idea, and when the bottle is empty you can always put a rescue note in and throw it out to sea ... "seamail"

I have seen folks add permanent flotation in the bow and stern (pourable closed cell polyurethane) but I dont think you want to encapsulate the scotch forever. ;)

The NRS trangular floats fit fairly well in my two guillemots. Despite great care in building, I do get a bit of water though Nick Schade's flush hatch design when in rough water.

Och aye!
The bow bottle is but the reserve tank, for refilling the flask in the PFD pocket each evening so it will be ready for the next day's paddle. As it empties it provides more flotation in case that hold is flooded. And yes, for a really long voyage the kayak does have two narrow ends so as to safely store more reserve whisky.
Now, gentle paddlers, you'll be asking just why so much concern over our dram. Well, consider what it is, and I'm not talking barley, burn water, and peat fires here. What is it good for? It is aromatherapy, oral antiseptic, digestive tonic, vasodilator, anesthetic, mood enhancer, and general attitude adjuster: a clinic in a bottle, and the most bang for the weight of anything you can buy legally. As with all medicine it is to be used in carefully measured doses with due consideration of the consequences thereof: when a wee flask has to last you all day you will take but small sips. Of course once you are encamped and fed... Did I mention it is also very helpful for harmonious social relations and wooing the lasses? No?, well, that part is up to you.
Tastes differ, but I have arrived at the point where I prefer the peaty western malts, and they all seem to be right by Loch Linnhe or the Sea of the Hebrides. Some sort of cause and effect here, I just cannot put my finger on it.
I offer a toast from the Gaelic:
Thoir taing a Dia, thoir urram do a cuan, agus slainte a duibhe uile gu leor

"Give thanks to God, respect the ocean, and health to you all."

Creag nan drochaid