Mount Clay Name Change Up Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 2003 this sign was up on North Twin, but I don't remember exactly where.

img_0787.jpg

It seems to conflict with the Forest Plan, at least for the A.T. which is to have signs at significant points?

Are there any signs on the AT within the WMNF that would be affected? Most of the existing signs on the AT, if not all, would be navigational signs at junctions that would be preserved under the new sign plan.

What NH4Ks still have signs with the peak name and/or elevation? Scanning my summit photos I can find only 4

Tim

Looking back through the photos I've already posted in the past and for which I have the img code here are a few of the signs:

The Waumbek sign doesn't say Waumbek, but at least it sits at the summit.

IMG_0010-2.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

The Carter signs came down just after I took the pictures. I crossed paths just after middle Carter with the ranger who took them down. As you can see there was nothing wrong with the Middle Carter sign, and if MJ hadn't been leaning so hard on the South Carter sign it wouldn't have been leaning either.

IMG_0015-6.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Waumbek is a navigational sign, like North Twin and dozens of others. Aside from the occasional semi-concealed stick sign, we still only have the following "permanent" summit signs:

Washington (in a state park)
Moosilauke (privately owned)
Cabot
Zealand (not an official sign)

Of those, Cabot is the only one which appears to be an official sign.

Tim

Are there any signs on the AT within the WMNF that would be affected? Most of the existing signs on the AT, if not all, would be navigational signs at junctions that would be preserved under the new sign plan.

Several notes here refer to S & M Carter for starters, and I think there might be signs on Webster and Little Haystack among others

And I'm sure the A.T. hikers here will agree that summit signs are common on other parts of the A.T. hence it is the WMNF that is out of step

Washington (in a state park)
Moosilauke (privately owned)
Cabot
Zealand (not an official sign)

Of those, Cabot is the only one which appears to be an official sign.
I would say that Washington and Moosilauke are official signs placed by representatives of the peak owner, just like Cabot

Hopefully somebody will post a photo of the Cannon sign which is similarly official

I would say that Washington and Moosilauke are official signs placed by representatives of the peak owner, just like Cabot

By official, I meant USFS signs - Cabot's looks like other USFS signage in the area while Moosilauke's and Washington's do not.

Roy, where do you recall the Cannon sign to be located? I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it does not exist.

Tim

Roy, where do you recall the Cannon sign to be located? I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it does not exist.
I remember a sign on the tower structure itself, probably at the bottom but maybe higher up

If this is true, 100% of the non-WMNF 4k have summit signs which may be an indication that the Forest Service is out of touch

Since Reagan eradicated much governmet regulation, I thing there should be 500 Mount Reagan signs placed all around the summit of Mount Clay.

Hooray!

So glad to see that the name has not been changed (not that I ever would have called it Reagan anyhow). The name of the person making the announcement - Lou Yost is a riot. At first I though it was a joke and a play on "You Lost" to those who wanted the change.

Last edited:
Now let's find an unnamed peak and name it after NH's First Son and arguably one of the most able military commanders of the Revolution, John Stark, who after assuming command for a second time insisted on NH boys in his regiments, or else. Heck, while we're at it, name one for his wife, Molly, as well.