Mount Clay Name Change Up Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Single Chair at Mad River Glen serves terrain on General Stark Mountain. So he already has a mountain named after him.

Lots of places are named after him already. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stark#See_also

Never knew that, BUT, how about a mountain in his native state of NH?:D

After all, just as an example, there are at least two after Starr King, and two (or more) after Guyot.

Last edited:
I rec'd an email this morning from the United States Board on Geographic Names as to their decision re: Mt Clay. I was impressed that they followed-up.

AMC Guide 1907

I was just enjoying reading section in 1907 AMC Guide on geographic names of peaks in Presidential range courtesy of Google Books. Guide goes in to great detail about the party who gave names to northern presidientials and then goes on to mention that Mt Clay was named by William Oakes the botanist whom Oakes Gulf is named after.

I think USGS was partly showing respect to the founding fathers, early explorers and trailblazers of the Presidential Range such as William Oakes when they decided to keep Clay as name for this peak. The guide doesn't state exactly when it was named, but Oakes died in 1848 and wrote his description of alpine flora and fauna in 1842 so this peak has been named Clay for over 160 years.

That looks similar also the sign on Passaconaway:

DSC_0016.jpg

Sorry about the summit sign posting thing, though at least in this case it seems that I posted a picture of one that had already been removed.

If the forest service really does patrol this forum though, then I can't resist posting one more :D
DSC_0161.jpg

Last edited:
Mt Washington sign

The Forest Service won't be removing the summit sign on Mt. Washington due to the fact it is a State Park....

Is it to discourage the activity of making summit signs?
There are regulations about signs and trails in all national forests. You are not allowed to post unauthorized signs anywhere, not just on summits. They have been removed in the past and will continue to be removed, as per regulations.

Please, do not make this thread an argument over that policy. It exists and we all have to deal with it.

just wondering

No argument here. I could care less. I was just wondering... that's all.

Here We Go Again

Oh Boy..Here We Go Again.....What will it take for this to die?
Here's a article in the Union Leader today (Sat Feb 5, 2011)

Reagan's 100th renews battle over renaming mountain

The last AMC Outside Mag had an article about the Feds shooting down the whole idea and way.

I know there's a joke around here somewhere, bit I just can't find it. :D

See you on that little hump in between Washington and Jefferson...Walker

I'm with you. Denali is an example. Just saying it inspires the lore within.

Since this thread is active again...Agreed.

Denali is the official name in the state of Alaska although the federal government does not recognize it. It was allegedly named after Mckinley by a prospector before he (McK) was president apparently because he supported the gold (as opposed to silver) standard for the dollar. Somehow that doesn't capture any grandeur or lore whatsoever and is further cheapened by the fact that Mr. Mckinley apparently never set foot in Alaska.

My suggestion in case anyone cares is to rename Clay "Abigail Adams" and leave Adams 4 alone :eek:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2011/HB0183.html
HB183 said:
Pursuant to RSA 4:43, and notwithstanding 2003, 139:1 Mount Clay located in Thompson and Meserve’s Purchase is hereby renamed Wonalancet Mountain, in honor of Wonalancet, the son of Passaconaway, the chief of the Penacook tribe.

Doubt that the feds would approve this either, but apparently the sponsor has withdrawn it

The Reagan proponents would no doubt prefer a peak which could have monuments and signs which leaves out Mt Clay as it is in a Wilderness area. Anybody have photos of this peak which might be an alternate?
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.25713,-71.30153&z=15&t=T

Last edited: