Mount Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
I'm hiking Mt Isolation for the first time on Saturday. Was thinking of going Glen Boulder to Davis and then out Rocky Branch. Is the summit easier to find going this way. I've read here the trails are not well marked. Isolation is the only NH-4K I haven't hiked....it's a bit of a white whale for me :(

Isolation

I was there exactly a year ago, same time frame and same route. The trails were not an issue. However, the Isolation Spur trail was not marked then, and if I remember a previous post it still was not marked. Rocky Branch was no problem to find, take your time going out since it is very wet. You may want to check TR's for an update. The hike up to Glen Boulder was beautiful, and the descent down to Mt. Isolation was very nice too. Good luck and if the weather is fine the views from the summit will be awesome!

Once you've come down below treeline and hiked for a while, the trail will generally be on the ridge or to the west (right side) - with occasional outlooks - until it makes the final ascent where it moves around to the east (left) side of the summit. If the crest of the ridge is to your right and you start going down again, you may want to double back and look more carefully. The spur climbs very steeply at the beginning so don't be misled thinking "the trail can't possibly go up there" - it does! (makes for especially interesting climbing in the winter)

Isolation sign

This picture was taken last Sept. The sign is easily missed as it is on your right, over your head almost, and many are looking at their feet. The FOT48 people last year walked right by it (as others also do). If it isn't there keep an eye for the open ledges going up that you see just beyond this sign. There is no other opening like it and you start to descend after passing it (coming from the north).

carole said:
This picture was taken last Sept. The sign is easily missed as it is on your right, over your head almost, and many are looking at their feet. The FOT48 people last year walked right by it (as others also do). If it isn't there keep an eye for the open ledges going up that you see just beyond this sign. There is no other opening like it and you start to descend after passing it (coming from the north).

Looks like the sign is gone!

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9070

I was there a few weeks ago, didn't have any trouble but can see how you might miss it. As you can see from carole's picture, the sign is a couple meters away from the actual branching, which is atop that rock in the background. It would be even easier to miss them both when coming from the South, since the trail starts waist-high up on that rock, heading southish at first, and the sign faces ever-so-slightly northward (but doesn't obtrude at all), so in each case you almost have to look back over your shoulder while heading north. From either direction it's fairly clear when you're getting near the summit - just keep your eyes open once you've climbed the 200ft or so from the col. Don't miss the chance to visit Mt Davis, the views are great.

Edit: just saw Tom R's post. The sign (a sign) was definitely there on Aug 25, 2005.

Last edited:
Note that the sign does not mention the spur, just the Davis Path. I assume that it will soon be removed as non-junction signs are not allowed in Wilderness :)

But seriously folks, like Owls Head the Isolation spur is not an official trail on the Wilderness map. There used to be a green-and-white AMC sign to mark the spur but it has vanished in recent years. As far as I know this spur was always "official" but didn't appear on FS trail logs because it was short like spurs to springs, views, etc. Maybe the 4K Committee (or someone who aspires to replace one of the lazier members of that committee) should contact the FS about what it takes to put this trail on inventory and warrant a junction sign. Note that this is a different ranger district than Owls Head and hopefully not poisoned by that atmosphere.

If you think there should be more above-treeline peaks on the list, come in by Glen Boulder (and tag N Isolation as you go by, a short bushwhack which is gaining a herd path). If you like longer hikes on old RR grades, take Rocky Branch from the S. I have probably used 8 or 9 different routes on this peak counting bushwhacks and all were nice in one way or another.

Getting thru the campsite area near the junction of Isolation trail and Davis path can be tricky too. It is easier to figure out coming from the direction you have said you'll be going. Coming up from Rocky Branch, it is very confusing in this area, I thought.

Was just there 2 weeks ago. Yes, go the way your thinking. You'll find it (the spur path), a short distance past a sign that says Davis Path on your right. Have done that route twice. The other routes that were fun this past winter, was to come up the R B tr. and bushwhack to the ridge. Once to the South & twice to the North of the Summit.

SteveHiker said:
Getting thru the campsite area near the junction of Isolation trail and Davis path can be tricky too. It is easier to figure out coming from the direction you have said you'll be going. Coming up from Rocky Branch, it is very confusing in this area, I thought.

I definitely agree and although I am not proud to admit this, I got lost going up Rocky Branch trail on Route 16. I hate recalling the incident, but would like to save some poor soul doing the same thing I did. If you go up Rocky Branch trail you have to follow a ski trail for part of the way which means you follow the blue Xcountry ski blazes for a while, but the trail then forks and you have to take the left branch. There is a sign at the fork, but it's totally hidden by overgrowth - I only saw it because I was looking for it the second time I attempted Isolation. In addition, the fork isn't obvious. If you find yourself going over a wooden bridge you have gone the wrong way. Since you are not planning on going this way, you won't have the same problem, but hopefully this helps some other person avoid what I did.

I hiked to the summit of Isolation this week on Monday and didn't see any sign for the Isolation spur trail. There was a sign for the Davis trail on your right just before the small cairn. So look out for the cairn and the sign for Davis trail. The cairn was still there on Monday, but who knows if it's still there now.

Good luck.

I was just there last week and would recommend either way. The RBT and Isolation trail are clearly marked, and the aforementioned tricky spot at the junction of Isolation tr and davis path has 2 new campsites (designated by USFS) so the trail is no longer difficult to navigate. I think that the RBT approach is easier and there is a section on the Isolation trail that is my favorite in all of the whites. We camped at the designated sites near the junction and it was a great time.

J

I did the Glen Boulder/Davis Path/Iso trail/Rocky Branch route when I did it. (A bit weird to bag a 4000 footer by climbing to 5300' and descending to it.) Outstanding views from GB and DP.

On the way out, I did have a little trouble finding my way on the Isolation Trail section, but Rocky Branch wasn't any problem (in that direction at least).

Going back out on the RBT to route 16 wasn't a problem, but just be aware of the ski trail if you take the RBT on route 16 into Isolation.

Thanks everyone for the wisdom and stories. Looks like the remnants of Ophelia are going to cloud up the Whites this weekend. We're postponing a week, you should have views from your 48th :) We've decided on a loop over Glen Boulder back RBT.

Jim L

Finding Isolation

I often zig when I should have zagged but had no problem navigating my way to the summit of Isolation last Saturday (9/10). I hiked it solo (except for the dozen other people on the Davis Path). I took Rocky Branch both ways and wish I took the route that you are taking, as there are no views along this trail and Glen Boulder Trail sounded quite scenic (according to those who hiked up it).

There was no sign that I recall for the spur up to Isolation Summit but the trail was very clearly there on the right (the Forest Service did not attempt to hide the trailhead). Just pay attention to where you are going and you shouldn't have a problem. I did not find the 'confusing area' that the others referred to to be too confusing. It's nothing you haven't seen while hiking other 4K's.

Good luck!

FYI,

The main water crossing for Dry River is out. The bridge is really in a bad state, and I would not try to cross it. It was damaged this spring, and if you look at the support beams, they are split laterally. The stream crossing is do-able there, just be careful if it has been raining.

-percious

Now I'm curious, is the Davis Path sign still there just before the junction or not. :confused: There are several different reports:

amstony says (post #2) it was gone last Oct.

nartreb says (post #6) it was there Aug. 25 this year.

Dr.D says (post #4) it was gone Sept. 11 this year.

and May says (post #10) it was there Monday this week.

I believe they're saying that the Spur Trail sign is gone. Which it was on March 19, & Sept. 3, of this year. (It was there 10/92).
But the Davis Path Sign, just North of the Spur trail, is there.
It was there 3/19/05 & 9/3/05. The only difference was, the top of the sign was barely visible & had to be dug out, back in March. :eek:
The sign, Davis Path, IMO, will not come down! As Davis Path is an official trail.

Jim,

Even with the crappy weather forecasted, we have the time off and are plowing ahead...views or not. I think our current goal is to go in via Dry River on Friday, but not sure yet where Saturday is going to lead us. I'll try to report to everyone the status of the sign. I know there has been some very recent reports of it, but you know how some of these signs have a habit of disapearing lately....... :D

edited: Added the word "current", as the weather may change the Dry River portion of this trip....(thanks, KR)

Last edited: