Mountain Hardwear Phantom jacket v. EMS Glacier Down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Christmas Comes But Once a Year... and I've been very good this year :eek: so I might treat myself to a very packable, very light, very warm down jacket for emergency/winter camping use. Love MH stuff and their Phantom jacket fits the bill but it's more than twice the price of EMS's Glacier Down jacket. Does anybody have either of these jackets (or another suggestion) and would pass along their comments so that I can finally tell Father Christmas what I want?

Thanks

I've had 2 of the EMS Glacier Jacket/Sweaters, and they are really nice. I also have owned the Marmot version, it was pricier but almost exactly the same, probably made in the same sweatshop somewhere. Check where the Mountain Hardware is made, I sure it is nicer, but not sure if the extra $$ is worth it. The only issue I ever have with these jackets is they get burn holes in them and look crappy, (but are still totally functional).

Last edited:
The MH Phantom compresses to the size of a grapefruit, comes with a matching small stuff sack and is warm. I can't compare it to the EMS jacket but I like the MH one. I've used it on Rainier and had it with me on Shasta though it was way too warm to use it up there. I got mine on sale somewhere though so I went for it. If the price is not a factor, you might look at some of the custom down jackets too, like from feathered friends. I'd keep them away from campfires, for sure, the outer layer is thin and will melt very easily in contact with embers...

Jay

I have the Glacier Down jacket and have been happy with it - stuffed inside it's own pocket it's the size of a basketball. Of course comparing it to the Phantom line from MH is kind of unfair - that stuff is just tight!!

But basically this is what I look at when seeing these jackets:

EMS - 650-fill - 22oz - $100 (right now on sale for $80... and will probably go on sale more than once a season)
MH - 800-fill - 15oz - $230

$130 is a big difference, and you get less 7oz - If weight is not that big of a deal to you ($18/oz deal) think of the extra gear you could buy with that. But if you can find the jacket at a better price that brings that difference down then I'd go for it.

As a last word of opinion - if this is a Christmas gift and you won't be getting a down jacket for a while then spring for the MH. Both jackets are good, but obviously the MH is better.

Last edited:
It appears as though neither of those has a hood. If you really NEED the down jacket, it's very nice to have the hood also.
This is a Sierra Designs 750 fill with hood that I think makes a good middle choice. If you're on the Sierra Trading Post email list, they've been sending out 20% off coupons lately. So I got this SD jacket for about $130 delivered. (AND STP includes a pre-paid UPS return tag if you decide to return it, sweet !)

I have had an EMS Glacier down sweater/jacket now for many many moons... It has held up great, no major loss of loft, only a few holes and patches; but those are my fault not the jackets I have used it for everything from a belay coat while ice climbing to sitting around camp in the snow, it has performed quite well.

Have you tried them on yet? I ask because even with the big price difference, you may want to go with the MH if it fits you better, and has features that are important to you. But if the EMS does the job, then you have a few more $$'s to buy something else with! :)

I have to go with Chip on the hood comment, it is the one thing I wish the EMS jacket had...

Catch you later... Kevin

We have MH Phantom jackets,and really like them. Compression sack takes no room,and they are super warm. Shop around on line,you may find a sale.I think we got ours for around $160 each,afew years ago. Campmor is showing them online for $179.99.

(right now on sale for $80... and will probably go on sale more than once a season)
I paid either $40 or $50 for the EMS jacket, but it was prolly off season or yellow tagged

Check the price on the EMS jacket THIS weekend (Thanksgiving) 30-50% off everything, they say. Also, the EMS jackets are nice colors this year -IMHO

A while back, Sherpa K posted about a Cabelas down jacket. I looked into it and I liked their product. It was very simlar in features to the EMS Glacier. It came in a tall size and was less than $50. I happened to have a Cabelas $50 Gift Card that I received for test driving a Ford F-150. So my net cost was something like $10 (shipping).

I've carried it on every winter hike I've been on and haven't used it yet. MH stuff is awesome but let's face it, that name adds about $100 to the price.

Whatever you get, make sure it's large enough to wear over all your other layers.

I have to go with xxxx on the hood comment, it is the one thing I wish the EMS jacket had...
I like it without the hood. The hood would be useful for a different type/style/use. It would be more of a parka, so more bulk/weight etc. I like the lightweight and compressability, and under a hooded shell it works a little easier. Just my .02...

Speaking of EMS, I just checked my yahoo mail this morning and got an email from EMS about 20-50% off sale everything now til the 26th, so check your email if you are looking at EMS stuff...

Jay