Moutaintinis on Lafayette

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewKnight

Reaction score
Mountaintinis on Lafayette

Last week, we decided to take the kids for a 'last hurrah' hike before they returned to school. We booked a night at Greenleaf Hut on Mt. Lafayette to simplify our packing and hauling, and the kids (Nathan, 11, Ellie, 8) did a great job on the climb up the Old Bridle Path (and the next morning on Greenleaf Trail to the summit of Lafayette for their first 4000-footer).

We have kind of a family tradition of having a shared "cocktail" at the end of a family day (martinis for Nancy and me, root beers for the kids)... obviously, this presents a bit of a logistical challenge after 40 minutes in the car to the trailhead and roughly three hours hiking in. For whatever reason, I woke up last Thursday AM with one of those "eureka!" moments, and was able to secretively pack a surprise for the team:

- 8 ounces of Bombay Sapphire gin in a 16-ounce Nalgene (perfect for a shaker later)
- 4 jalapeno-stuffed olives, along with about a tablespoon of olive juice (we likes 'em a little dirty) and a splash of dry vermouth in a zip-lock bag
- 8 ice-cubes in a separate bag
- 2 cans Mugg Root beer

The whole cocktail kit went into a small soft-sided cooler (six-pack size) along with a cold pack. I wrapped the whole affair in my extra fleece and put it down in the middle of my pack. When I unpacked things five or six hours later, there was still plenty of ice and the sodas were still frosty.

OK, so we weren't travelling light -- but you should have seen the looks on our fellow hut-guests when I started shaking up martinis before dinner. It was the perfect end to a great day on the trail.

Last edited:
I think many of us on this board have generated looks like that with similar pack contents at various huts. :D

Nice -
Very creative - I supplied Rols with an ice cold Corona with lime after he finished his 2nd 48 a few years ago - it can be done!
Congrats to the kids on their first 4k, well - actually, 5k!

We supplied a friend with chilled sparking cider* on the final summit of his NH 4Ks. Of course, the fact that it was snowing lightly had nothing to do with the temp of the drink... :)

* The original idea was to bring champagne, but cider enabled us to include the kids in the celebration. And we still got the bubbles.

Doug

Last edited:
I pulled an "Eiger Sanction" on my niece's boyfriend a few weeks ago and we enjoyed a couple of Long Trails on Liberty. ;) He was not upset.

BOWMAN: Want a beer?
HEMLOCK: You gonna call room service?
BOWMAN: We got beer.
HEMLOCK: If you hauled beer up this rock, you're insane.
BOWMAN: I may be insane, but I'm not stupid. I didn't carry it, you did. It's in your pack.(Pulls a six-pack out of Hemlock's backpack.)
HEMLOCK: Jesus Christ, I ought to throw you off this pillar. Besides, it's warm.
BOWMAN: I'm sorry, I thought you'd draw the line at hauling ice.

Chip said:
I pulled an "Eiger Sanction" on my niece's boyfriend a few weeks ago and we enjoyed a couple of Long Trails on Liberty. ;) He was not upset.

BOWMAN: Want a beer?
HEMLOCK: You gonna call room service?
BOWMAN: We got beer.
HEMLOCK: If you hauled beer up this rock, you're insane.
BOWMAN: I may be insane, but I'm not stupid. I didn't carry it, you did. It's in your pack.(Pulls a six-pack out of Hemlock's backpack.)
HEMLOCK: Jesus Christ, I ought to throw you off this pillar. Besides, it's warm.
BOWMAN: I'm sorry, I thought you'd draw the line at hauling ice.

That made my day - George Kennedy is one of the all time greats! :)