Mt. Adams

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpygran

Reaction score
October 5th 2010

Almost a year ago I finished my 9th round on a beautiful day on Mt. Isolation. I announced then that this was the last round, no more counting. Well, you go out, and you go out, someone is always looking for a peak here or there and suddenly it is late July and I realise that 6 more hiking days and I could finish round #10!
With an eye on the weather we scheduled, then cancelled, then rescheduled the hike for Tuesday, with a forecast of rain to the south and sun to the north.
6 of us set out at 8am., up Valley Way as it was a little overcast and we wanted to escape the exposure of Airline.

Got to the "in the midst of construction" Madison hut in record time where Cymbidium and I decided to rest while the other 4 ascended Madison. My logical thinking was that I wasn't doing another round so I didn't "need" Madison. Mind you the little voice in the back of my head said "well, if you ever do...you have to get up here again anyway". (Ignore such thoughts!)

When they got back the clouds were lifting and we headed around Gulfside to Thunderstorm junction and up to the peak from there. Greeted at the top by two men who had ascended from Star Lake. It was glorious up there with vftt forever. An undercast of clouds made it even more impressive. We celebrated, not with chocolates this time, but great blueberry cake. Lots of photos taken by others and posted elsewhere (!). Tim left us at this point to do a partial Pressie traverse and the rest of us descended to the junction for lunch.

We then set out down spur Path which allows for endless views into King's Ravine and lets you know how small you are in the scheme of things. We stopped at every viewpoint, saw every waterfall, were cautious on the ladders and decided at the big junction to take the Amphibrach Trail all the way down. That was good choice with its soft footbed and lots of leaves to shuffle in. Colors all around above and below. What a nice walkout of the woods!

So thanks to TimandVal, Cymbidium, Sleeveless and the stalwart Silverfox for getting me through them all once again. Definitely time to take up the knitting needles advised a year ago by Silverfox!

Grumpygran

I think it's great that you've kept track of your accomplishments. I can only guess at mine, or when asked if I've hiked all the fours, just smile, shrug and respond "Yes, several times." A good friend has kept a journal of the most interesting details of the hikes she's done and more than once she's been able to go back and tell us the details we've forgotten but want to know.

Congratulations Mary!

I must say that I agree with 'loanshark' in that I don't think you're ready for the knitting needles. But, I suppose that purling up with a good yarn in front of a warm fire on chilly winter days can be an enjoyable activity.:rolleyes: However, by the time Spring rolls around, I'll bet you'll be back on the trails grasping the trekking poles instead of the knitting needles!:)

your ascent of Mount Adams was one of the most extreme cases of peak fever I have ever seen..easily a hundred yards ahead in no time from the junction..

congrats!!!

and great blueberry cake

as for the knitting needles..perhaps you could start on some golf club head covers for Tom

a few pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157624986178009/

Last edited:
always an inspiration, mary! congrats on another fun season of hiking! :

disappointed i missed this year's grand event, i will always remember isolation though (have a framed picture above my desk of
the three of us! )

Congrats Mum, you're now 9 rounds ahead of me! :eek:

Sorry to have missed the big day! (And you will regret skipping Madison, I am sure of it! :))