Mt. Cabot cabin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakDan

Reaction score
I think I read here in Trail Conditions about "no heat in the Cabot cabin"
There's always been a wood stove there-it was there in November.
Anybody been there recently?

stove

yup,
the stove was fallling apart so it got pulled out last year, cabin has been cleaned up nicely though

bumping this thread up... is cabot cabin open to all, free of charge, year round? i may finally get my k-ridge traverse in this november and would be interested in not lugging a tent. any other thoughts/issues/things to be aware of besides the aforementioned water issues?
thanks,
HH

GPS coordinates Mt. Cabot cabin?

does anyone know the GPS coordinates for the cabin near Mt. Cabot?

I don't have the GPS coordinates, but you would be hard pressed to miss it if you head up from York Pond Road.

If you have a Google earth just look for the clearing south of the summit. The cabin is on the lower edge of the clearing in the woods. On the other hand the water source for the cabin requires a lot more work to find.

bumping this thread up... is cabot cabin open to all, free of charge, year round?
It has been in the past, but the FS is proposing to lock it and charge a fee

You should call them rather than asking past hikers because what was true yesterday may not be true tomorrow

Mt Cabot Trail Closed?

We are planning a hike up to Mt Cabot and were considering taking the Mt Cabot Trail from 'Heath's Gate" I have been reading on the internet on several web sites that this trail is closed. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, the Forest Service has closed the trail, and asks that you use a different route. Depending on your reading of the legal docs, you may have a legal right to hike the trail regardless of the trail's official status. The property owner at the trailhead is not the one disputing the trail access. There are access issues that extend beyond this specific trail.

If you want my opinion, go up via one of the two other routes. They're nice, especially via Unknown Pond, but they are a longer drive.