Mt. Isolation advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squashman

Reaction score
I'm planning a loop hike: Glen Boulder to Davis to Isolation and then out via Rocky Branch. I've read that it can be confusing finding the Rocky Branch trail from the Isolation Trail (lots of comments about the abundance of herd paths, etc.) The maps look straight-forward, so I would appreciate any thoughts and advice (and gps waypoints would be most welcome) ;-)

I'm not sure why it would be confusing. You walk along the river and cross it for the 5th time and you're on the RB trail at that point. The 2nd and 3rd (coming down) have a herd path between them removing the need to cross over only to cross again a short time later.

Tim

Me neither, if you hit the Rocky Branch Shelter #2 then you've gone ~50 yards to far. I assume you mean the left turn onto the leg of the RBT which takes you down to the east to Rt. 16.

Other wise if you keep straight you're on the RBT down to Jericho Rd.

I do find the first quarter to half of a mile or so of the Rocky Branch trail after it turns off the Davis path to be a bit hard to find. The trail runs through a desigated camping area and the paths to the campsite look like the trai. Past the campsites, the trail runs through a wet area with multiple streams and some of the stream beds look like trails. They all end up at rocky branch stream so its not a major issue. Note this area is in a wilderness area so the forest service intentionally underblazes the trails and does minimal maintenance. I think this is an area where they actually painted over blazes with gray paint.

I do find the first quarter to half of a mile or so of the Rocky Branch trail after it turns off the Davis path to be a bit hard to find. The trail runs through a desigated camping area

Actually, the last time I was up there (fall 2008), they had improved this section greatly relative to my previous visit (fall 2003). It was yellow-blazed, and as long as you pay attention through that stretch you'll be fine. It does "detour" around the campsite so know that you shouldn't be in a straight line. If you go up it, you'll have no problem coming back down it.

I was up on that route several weeks ago and ran into no problems, MichaelJ's info is still current.

Regards.
RW

The junction should be obvious as there is a sign, and if you come to the shelter you went too far. Once you cross the river there are some side trails to campsites but I don't consider them confusing. As mentioned the greater problem may be confusing the trail with a streambed as it is one often with running water. This doesn't meet FS trail standards for Wilderness or anywhere else, but would be very expensive to fix.

Had no problem either when we ran exact same route, just kept an eye out and alert as usual and everything was OK

The first part of the trip - Glenn Boulder to Davis Path and up to Isolation is lovely... Rocky Branch, well, Rocky Branch is not....

Did Isolation this past Sunday (though from the opposite direction you are planning) and had no issues with signage or trail markings. Junctions of Isolation Trail and Davis, as well as RBT and Isolation are signed and hard to miss. There are some designated camps spots near both junctions but clearly designated. We had no directional issues.
Now, if you want to talk about mud and water, well that's another story all together! Hope you like both :D
Here's a shot of some of us heading west along the Rocky branch "trail" about half mile or so from the river.

0_0_86d94914d142e2f62039b2f29f71cfb3_1

I didn't have any issue following Rocky Branch on the way out from Isolation. This would have been in Aug of 2008. Yikes, almost 2 years ago. Looks like I'm due for a return to Isolation.

This is one I can't wait to do in the winter. Last Fall we hiked the Rocky Swamp trail in very dry conditions, which meant all the mud in the Whites was specially packed in and dumped on that trail.

Cabot via Bunnell Notch (before they slightly rerouted it to get around the worst mud) was a joy in the winter. "Mud? What mud?"

Weatherman

ok...I hate mud

any thoughts on a Glen Boulder to Isolation out-and-back hike? Is the extra elevation gain worth it if it means foregoing what appears to be a perpetual mud season?

Hiked the GBT, DP, IT, and RBT (CCW) yesterday to Isolation and had no problem following the trails, although the IT and RBT were very wet as usual, but my guess is that the Engine Hill bushwhack to avoid the crossings would have been even wetter. AMC trail crew has cleared blow downs on the DT, but the USFS has not cleared numerous substantial blow downs on the IT.

I did that route several years ago, and I did have some trouble following the Iso Trail down. I recall a lovely mossy area where I had to cast about for several minutes before I picked up the trail again. Good luck.

Also, I was solo and had to wait 20 minutes on Rte.16 with my thumb out before some kind man from NJ gave me a ride back to Glen Boulder TH. I was just a dirty, smelly old man; what's not to love?

Much as I like that route, it did seem a little strange to bag a 4K by first climbing to 5K+ and then descending to it.

I did Isolation from Ammo Tr, Camel, Davis, and back. A bit long and a good bit of vertical, but minimal mud and no difficulty with trail finding. Nice views. It also offers options for Monroe, Washington, and Jefferson.

Doug

#47 Isolation

Thanks to all for their advice and comments - I enjoyed a solo hike to Isolation yesterday, a long, slow slog on the Rocky Branch trail. Until I reached the summit I didn't see any one, so I had a lot of time to get into my hiker's zen. Of course that meant I had a long time to obsess about my sore feet on the way back to Rt. 16. Now just Cabot remains, and then I'll have to adopt some new challenges.