Mt. Isolation from Mitzpah hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBuffalo

Reaction score
I've read previous posts of the water crossing in the Dry River, dicey at best. Though, isn't the most direct way to Isolation via the Dry River Cutoff trail? Is it maintained? Anyone care to share?
Thinking late summer, early fall. Rain beforehand would also cause a definte factor there.
DaveG.

isn't the most direct way to Isolation via the Dry River Cutoff trail?

from mizpah hut it would be. you would have the one crossing of the dry river shortly after hitting the mt. eisenhower trail. it can be difficult/dangerous, but at "normal levels" it's no problem. if you're talking late august/early september i wouldn't worry about it unless you end up out there in the midst of a serious rain event.
i don't know who (if it has a volunteer maintainer) is maintaining the dry river cut-off, but it should at least be getting partolled by the fs every year. some of the trails in that area can be obscure and primitively maintained, but readily followed for 3 season travel. winter would be a whole other story.

bryan

There is also the state of the West Isolation Tr to consider. When we attempted it a number of years ago in late Dec or early Jan, we found it pretty difficult to travel. (We turned around fairly low on the trail.) Don't recall if it would have been better without snow (3-4 ft on the ground) and I don't know how active the maintenance might be.

Going around via Boott Spur would be quite a bit longer but the trails are well maintained and has no dangerous water crossings.

Doug

West Isolation Trail is relatively easy to follow, but it is maintained to a different standard than other trails. I really enjoyed using it on my exit from the Davis Path back to Crawford Notch two years ago in...August? My hiking companion, however most certainly did not. As Bryan said, the Dry River crossing should be fine that time of year.

Have fun!

My trips from Mizpah to Isolation have been in late May and early June, with some snow still on the ground and the trails with lots of blowdown and debris. It made for slower going, but not bad. The water crossings were not a problem, even with snowmelt going on. As mentioned, heavy rain would change things.

Late summer/early fall would be good. The Dry River Cutoff is a wild and beautiful place, lightly traveled with a primitive feel to it.

The biggest PITA on the whole trip is distinguishing the new trail from all the other old trails down near Dry river. There long ago was a shelter in this area and the naturally all trails led to it. When they removed the shelter, they reloacted the trails to obscure the location of the former shelter, but its hard to hide a well worn trail bed.

BTW, my favorite approach to Mt Isolation is via this route as it goes along with the name of the mountain. You wont see much traffic until you hit the Davis path.

i don't know who (if it has a volunteer maintainer) is maintaining the dry river cut-off, but it should at least be getting partolled by the fs every year. some of the trails in that area can be obscure and primitively maintained, but readily followed for 3 season travel. winter would be a whole other story.

I maintain the Mt Clinton Trail, from the hut down to its junction with the Dry River Trail. I have met the couple who maintain the Dry River Cutoff and I know they visit it several times a year so I'm sure it's in good shape. Like others have said, the Dry River crossing at the Mt Eisenhower Trail is easy enough in times of low water. The hut crew frequently go down the Dry River Cutoff and make that crossing to get to Dry River Falls.

The Mt Isolation Trail between the Dry River and the Davis Path was unmaintained for some time and has been hard to follow at times, especially in the lower sections where some bypasses were cut about 9 or 10 years ago. I have heard that there is now a volunteer maintainer on that trail but haven't been on it recently.

All of these trails in the Dry River Wilderness (Mt Clinton Trail, Dry River Cutoff, Mt Eisenhower Trail, West branch of the Mt Isolation Trail) were previously maintained by the Forest Service, but they didn't have the staff to properly maintain them, and they were becoming somewhat overgrown. They began working with the AMC to get volunteer maintainers to work on them in 2005/2006, so it's taken some time to get some of the them brushed and a bit easier to follow. I know, for all the work I've put into it, the Mt Clinton Trail still needs a lot more work. However, being wilderness trails, we are told to maintain them to a different standard. They're narrower, a bit harder to follow, and have no blazing (except for a few old blazes in some places). They also tend to be wet.

The Dry River Trail suspension bridge was down for several years but recently reopened. That may increase traffic on these trails.

All of these trails in the Dry River Wilderness (Mt Clinton Trail, Dry River Cutoff, Mt Eisenhower Trail, West branch of the Mt Isolation Trail) were previously maintained by the Forest Service, but they didn't have the staff to properly maintain them, and they were becoming somewhat overgrown. They began working with the AMC to get volunteer maintainers to work on them in 2005/2006, so it's taken some time to get some of the them brushed and a bit easier to follow. I know, for all the work I've put into it, the Mt Clinton Trail still needs a lot more work. However, being wilderness trails, we are told to maintain them to a different standard. They're narrower, a bit harder to follow, and have no blazing (except for a few old blazes in some places). They also tend to be wet.

i hear you peakbagger paul. i started working on the mt. eisenhower trail back in 2008. a half dozen work trips later and i still have a long list of things to try and get done.

bryan

FYI: The Dry River Trail is one gorgeous trail and very nicely maintained.

The river should be okay to cross unless you are in the midst of a major rainy period- not likely during the time of year you plan to hike.

People can run into trouble on this trail near the river where numerous trails converge and diverge in unpredictable ways. Your brain gets turned around because of all the twists and intersections. Bring a map and anticipate trail junctions.

Don't forget when going from Isolation to Mizpah Hut to stop and take a refresher at Dry River Falls. This falls is approached from the Dry River Trail just north (maybe 0.1 mile) of the confluence of the West Isolation Trail. There is no trail sign but when you hear the roar of the water below, take the unmarked spur to your left. A must stop on the traverse. Photo 69 is the crossing of the Dry River on the Mt. Eisenhower Trail. Photo 70 is a picture of Dry River Falls. These were taken June 27, 2007.