Mt Washington 12/25/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
No not cold, moisture management is the most important thing for me since I tend to become a sweaty mess. I've attempted a winter and a summer ascent every year since 95 and have only been turned around 3 times. For me I dress for winter ascents as follows. Koflachs and merino wool socks on my feet, Techwick top and bottom base layer, insulating jacket (sometimes polarfleece sometimes merino), softshell pants and softshell coat, sunglasses and hat or insulated helmet depending on route. That's usually all I need to put on if it’s a day like 12/25. But I also carry a Goretex storm shell coat and pants that easily go on over my softshell when needed, and a full face mask and goggles for when no skin can be left exposed. In my pack I also carry a Puffy coat that stuffs pretty compact for emergencies, haven't needed that yet thankfully.

Gloves are the trickiest part for me since my hands are very susceptible to frost bite from past experiences. I carry two pairs of gloves; a lighter weight pair for when trekking below tree line because my hands tend to sweat, and then a warmer pair that my hands can slip easily in and out of without messing about with the liners for when I'm in the wind.
I look at every piece of cold weather gear I buy in terms of: Do I have to take my hands out of my gloves to put on or adjust? And if so, how long do they have to be out?

Last edited:
Gloves are the trickiest part for me since my hands are very susceptible to frost bite from past experiences. I carry two pairs of gloves; a lighter weight pair for when trekking below tree line because my hands tend to sweat, and then a warmer pair that my hands can slip easily in and out of without messing about with the liners for when I'm in the wind.
I look at every piece of cold weather gear I buy in terms of: Do I have to take my hands out of my gloves to put on or adjust? And if so, how long do they have to be out?
Do you bring/use hand warmers?

Do you bring/use hand warmers?
Yes. I love em. I should buy stock in Grabber :)

Thanks! I hear about more people using the Koflachs. I have a pair of 400 gram primaloft winter boots and mountaineering socks. I have done many winter summit hikes but nothing past the 4,500 mark. My feet have always been ok. Since I am attempting to go higher should I hang up the boots and the a pair of Koflachs or should I be fine with what I have? I would really like that money to go to other gear.... Who knows...
Some may prefer boots like that, and they are fine for less steep hikes, but for going up something like the lions head winter route I prefer mountaineering boots for better support. Personally I dont use winter boots like that in the prezis.

Last edited: