Music while hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you listen to music while hiking?

• Yes, you have to move your feet to the beat

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • No, I prefer the sounds of nature

Votes: 113 75.8%
  • I could care less one way or the other

Votes: 26 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
music

i love music so when im hiking alone im all about it! when hiking with people i will never listen to music. have brought my mp3 player on a few longer hikes with other people (just in case i lag behind and need a good blast of slayer to speed me up), but have not used it.
as for the sounds of nature, they can sometimes be over rated on long hikes along. heard one bird sing you have heard them all.
personally i dont see why someone would care if i listen to music when im hiking alone. i dont care that you love listening to birds chirp and wind blow.
we all get out in the woods for our own reasons.
there have been some hikes when i wished i had listened to my mp3 player instead of peoples random ramblings about things i could care less about!

I carry an .mp3 player with me for two reasons

a) If I'm on a stretch of trail I find to be boring (like the lower stretch of the Webster-Jackson Trail).
b) If I have a really annoying song stuck in my head on repeat, it's nice to cleanse my palette.

I still like to be able to hear what's going on (and also not pollute sound for other hikers), so I usually have it on the lowest volume setting.

Total usage <5%

What about people that make mouth noises when they hike? That can get annoying.

Like when people go, "uh uh uh uh, uh uhh uh uhhh uh uh"

Uh uhhh uh uhhhh uh uhhh uh uhhhh uh uhhhhh uhhhh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uhhhhh uh uhhhhh uh uh uh uh uhhhhh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uhhuhuhuhu uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uhhhh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh u h uh uh uhuhuhu uh uh u h uuu h hhhh uh uuuuuuu uh uhuhuhuh uhuh uh u uh uh uh uh uhuh uhuhuhuhuhuh uh huhuh uhuh uhuh uh uh uuhu uh uh uh uh uh uhuh uhuhu uh uh uhhhu hu uuh u h uh uh uhuhuhu uh uh u h uuu h hhhh uh uuuuuuu uh uhuhu uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

-Dr. Wu

got to love how some hikers always think their way is the way it should be and everyone else is wrong

if i am alone and "training" I do, might use one on the 2 mile slog up tuck trail in winter/spring to get to base of ravines- as many do. I solo hiked a bit around 2003-2004 and listened to music then.

I also used one one the 12 mile slog in to roaring brook from abol where the visiblity was zero due to about 18 inches of snow falling on the trek in and the winds killed all sounds. It was a god-send and helped an other-wise tough hike in tolerable. A good few of us used them that day and like cbcbd says, those that didn't wished they had one - but thats ok, b/c most of the people commenting, wouldn't be on a baxter winter trip with me anyway, so its all fine.

people go for different reasons, stay fit, socialize, see nature, have fun.

Last edited:
I always listen to my iPod while hiking. But I listen to soft music that is condusive to the environment around me. All I listen to on the trails is New Age music; Enya, Loreena McKennitt,Clannad,Secret Garden and Walela are all on my hiking playlist. I also keep the volume low to hear the sounds of nature in the background and to not disturb other hikers who prefer to hike without music.

dr_wu002 said:
What about people that make mouth noises when they hike? That can get annoying.

Like when people go, "uh uh uh uh, uh uhh uh uhhh uh uh"

Uh uhhh uh uhhhh uh uhhh uh uhhhh uh uhhhhh uhhhh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uhhhhh uh uhhhhh uh uh uh uh uhhhhh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uhhuhuhuhu uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uhhhh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh u h uh uh uhuhuhu uh uh u h uuu h hhhh uh uuuuuuu uh uhuhuhuh uhuh uh u uh uh uh uh uhuh uhuhuhuhuhuh uh huhuh uhuh uhuh uh uh uuhu uh uh uh uh uh uhuh uhuhu uh uh uhhhu hu uuh u h uh uh uhuhuhu uh uh u h uuu h hhhh uh uuuuuuu uh uhuhu uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

-Dr. Wu

LOL. I was next to one of those guys on the stairmaster yesterday...so I turned up the volume on my mp3 player... :D :D

Wu, between your last two posts, I can't figure out if your new name should be "Gollum" or "Jack Torrance." What's up today?!

I love music and I love hiking. I love hearing good music while hiking, but it's so hard to beat the sounds of nature that the mp3 can't keep up. Vote goes to the sounds of nature every time.

Unless I'm right behind someone who ate Chile. How do you do that?

Uh uh uh uh, uh uhh uh uhhh uh uh.

Uh.

Last edited:
giggy said:
got to love how some hikers always think their way is the way it should be and everyone else is wrong

if i am alone and "training" I do, might use one on the 2 mile slog up tuck trail in winter/spring to get to base of ravines- as many do. I solo hiked a bit around 2003-2004 and listened to music then.

I also used one one the 12 mile slog in to roaring brook from abol where the visiblity was zero due to about 18 inches of snow falling on the trek in and the winds killed all sounds. It was a god-send and helped an other-wise tough hike in tolerable. A good few of us used them that day and like cbcbd says, those that didn't wished they had one - but thats ok, b/c most of the people commenting, wouldn't be on a baxter winter trip with me anyway, so it all fine.

people go for different reasons, stay fit, socialize, see nature, have fun.
I bet you wish you had one at points on our Ethan Pond - Guyot hike... help drown out the inane, mind-numbing conversation about wine-soaked blankets, sleeping in the nude and that Italian Flag you never pulled.

I'm often surprised that more of my hiking partners don't hike with Ipods.

-Dr. Wu

I voted could care less one way or the other; but a fourth answer of "Depends on the situation" would better echo my sentiments. Mostly if I listen to music it will be when I have been Tent bound on storm days on long trips. I will even admit to carrying a Solar charger so I am sure of powering my devices over a long haul. But I hardly ever listen while I'm hiking.

--M. said:
Wu, between your last two posts, I can't figure out if your new name should be "Gollum" or "Jack Torrance." What's up today?!

I love music and I love hiking. I love hearing good music while hiking, but it's so hard to beat the sounds of nature that the mp3 can't keep up. Vote goes to the sounds of nature every time.

Unless I'm right behind someone who ate Chile. How do you do that?

Uh uh uh uh, uh uhh uh uhhh uh uh.

Uh.
I actually like it when people fart on the trail while hiking. I seriously laugh whenever people do it, each and every time. I have one friend -- who shall go nameless -- that farts all the time. Freakin' riot. I usually don't smell anything because A) my own 'odor' from not having showered in 2 months acts as a sort of barrier or B) I'm hiking in front of them.

Seriously, people farting while hiking is funny. Silent ones, not so much -- usually smell worse without the beneficial entertainment factor.

-Dr. Wu

Rik said:
I think after reading this thread I'm more likely to hike with music on. That way I can drown out all the judgemental hikers blathering on about the "sounds of nature".

Hmmm. Just went back over the previous posts, filtering for blathering. This thread started with a poll and a question, and what I see is fairly reasonable responses/opinions on that question from both sides...with a little bit of humor thrown in. I think it's good to hear other folks' opinions...might even give me a different perspective from which to think about things, God forbid. :D

I think this has a whole lot more to do with a societal/generational thing than it has to do with hiking. Some of us just grew up in a different time, and while we may have computers, cell phones, mp3s, and the like, we haven't grown up with them and don't understand (and sometimes unfairly make judgments about) those for whom carrying these gadgets around is no different than putting on your wrist watch in the morning.

PA Ridgerunner said:
Hmmm. Just went back over the previous posts, filtering for blathering. This thread started with a poll and a question, and what I see is fairly reasonable responses/opinions on that question from both sides...with a little bit of humor thrown in. I think it's good to hear other folks' opinions...might even give me a different perspective from which to think about things, God forbid. :D

I think this has a whole lot more to do with a societal/generational thing than it has to do with hiking. Some of us just grew up in a different time, and while we may have computers, cell phones, mp3s, and the like, we haven't grown up with them and don't understand (and sometimes unfairly make judgments about) those for whom carrying these gadgets around is no different than putting on your wrist watch in the morning.

Well, for me it's not about "being bored" or "needing" it. One person even said they "don't like people with ipods". I think the question was about each of our choices and not about what others choose. Maybe I misread something but I also sensed an air of elitism in some of the "sounds of nature" camp. If I'm wrong I apologize.

In fact, I do listen to music when I hike. But I really don’t need and never have used an iPod or Walkman or other device to do it.

My tunes are “heard,” quite completely, “in my head.” Marches of all sorts are special favorites, but I also hear a full range of music for concert band and wind soloists. It is music that I love listening to and performing.

Such music is perfectly compatible with the buoyant spirit I enjoy while hiking. Yet, because it is heard through my imagination rather than physically through my ears, I never am isolated from my surroundings. I have the best of both worlds.

G.

Rik said:
Well, for me it's not about "being bored" or "needing" it. One person even said they "don't like people with ipods". I think the question was about each of our choices and not about what others choose.

Fair enough. That was the question, and there certainly are a couple of posts that go "on the attack."

Rik said:
Maybe I misread something but I also sensed an air of elitism in some of the "sounds of nature" camp. If I'm wrong I apologize.

No apology necessary. You're entitled to state your opinion and your interpretation of what's been said. That's what's great about these fora.

Cheers!

Mostly not, but sometimes. Usually only when hiking solo in winter when I don't expect to see anyone else (weekday, less used trail). I keep the volume down low so it is background. I make sure I can hear my own footsteps, the wind, and bird chirping over the music. It is strange how the music will sometimes sync up with the environment around you.

Even when I don't have my iPod there is usually some soundtrack playing in my head. Yesterdays hike I had an annoying song I couldn't get out of my head. I wish I used my iPod then to get rid of it. Another time when music might help is during motorcycle week to drown out the bikes in the notches and passes.

One advantage I have found is that when hiking during Spring bug season, the ear buds keep the bug from flying in your ears. I've felt them bounce off the ear buds.

Rik said:
I also sensed an air of elitism in some of the "sounds of nature" camp. If I'm wrong I apologize.

I think your correct. Hate to bring the policitical slant here, but these folks are typically the ones that lean a certain way politically and claim to be open minded - but in reality, they only think that way if you agree with them. if you would rather listen to tunes than hear a bird, then you don't care about nature, you don't appreciate nature, or your ruining nature, or some other garbage they throw out there, etc..

I could just as easily say someone playing with a GPS, the slamming of treking poles in a rock - every hear how far that sound carries?? - more than an ipod thats for sure, walkie talkies (more intrusive than an ipod) ruins the wilderness/nature experience. but - what others do typically doesn't ruin my day.

Last edited:
I carry an IPOD while hiking alone. I listen to everything from loud noisy trash to Enya and Mozart.
This helps me in the gym while on a mind numbing machine. My mind goes right back to the trail I was on and the sights I saw while listening to that song. It makes me happy.
That said, I never listen while hiking with someone else, and every time I encounter another person on the trail, I remove my ear buds to greet them.
I think everyone has their own way, whatever makes you happy is the way you should go.

AndyF said:
Mostly not, but sometimes. Usually only when hiking solo in winter when I don't expect to see anyone else (weekday, less used trail). I keep the volume down low so it is background. I make sure I can hear my own footsteps, the wind, and bird chirping over the music. It is strange how the music will sometimes sync up with the environment around you.

Even when I don't have my iPod there is usually some soundtrack playing in my head. Yesterdays hike I had an annoying song I couldn't get out of my head. I wish I used my iPod then to get rid of it.
+1 on all of that. Unless I'm training and moving fast, the music is usually low and in the background. I have turned it off in sections, like when soloing some gullies in Hunts, where its good to hear any ice/rock/snow/person coming your way.

But most of the time alone there is usually music flowing through my head anyway, and my mind tends to keep looping one part over and over unless I consciously make a mental effort to take it off repeat... the Ipod just helps me change it up ;)

bruised said:
That said, I never listen while hiking with someone else, and every time I encounter another person on the trail, I remove my ear buds to greet them.
Yeah, I also do the same.

Last edited: