My 48th - Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeycrew

Reaction score
I couldn't have pictured my 48th being any better. The weather was perfect and the company incredible. I'm not going to list off everyone who was there because I'm afraid of forgetting one of the 15-20 people that showed up, but if anyone has a better memory for names than me, please submit me a list :)

A group of us met up at the Ravine Lodge trailhead at 8am on Sunday, October 30th. The weather was mild and the snow around us was soft. We packed our winter gear and what we had as costumes and set up Gorge Brook. It wasn't long before we stripped some of the warmer layers. As our elevation increased gradually, so did the views. The crystal clear sky with occasional random puffs of cloud let us get some good views. As we reached treeline we threw our layers back on. I decided to put the snowshoes on because they were acting like giant wind sails as I hiked (I need to get smaller snowshoes).

We reached the summit, I fell over during picture taking as a combination of snowshoes and wind gusts. We goofed off, took pictures involving the gusts of wind, sledded down the summit, drank Champagne straight from the bottle, and handed candy out to the Dartmouth Ski team who was running up the mountain. Cudos to Amy and Bob for bringing sheets and being summit ghosts, flapping in the wind. A couple other groups of hikers joined us. And we decided to go down via carriage road.

On the gusty hike down the ridgeline I stopped to wait for Noah and Adam and realized that my snowshoes were long enough to make a great hamstring stretch (I think Adam has the picture). So way too long snowshoes have a use.

We reached the trail junction for South Summit, built a snowman and pelted Drew with a stockpile of snow balls. Then the question came up as to if we wanted to do South Summit. Without any real leader I think most the group decided to go up. We took more silly windy pictures and a large snowball fight on the summit. I did fall over while trying to balance on one foot in the wind. Back at the trail junction we had Chocolate Spiders and Pumpkin Pie and headed down the mountain.

I had a blast talking to all sorts of different people, we even stopped at an outlook and identified the mountains we could see in the distance.

Everyone came off the mountain safely and in good spirits. I know I had a great time and I hope everyone who was able to join me did too. I want to thank everyone for making it my most memorable hike ever, I'll treasure those moments for the rest of my life.

My pictures are here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8egojpw.18imi40c&x=0&y=-e67mde
Everyone else be sure to post your pictures, I'm sure there are plenty more goofy ones :p

What's next? Well I'm working on 7 different lists right now. So a little of everything and anything :D

hockeycrew said:
I couldn't have pictured my 48th being any better. ...
What's next? Well I'm working on 7 different lists right now. So a little of everything and anything :D

Wow, sounds like a great time! Congrats!

That's even more lists than I'm working on! :eek: :D

Congratulations!!! Beautiful pictures - an amazing way to finish the 48.
:)

What a contrast - Sunday morning we were sitting on cliffs without jackets, while you were in snow and rime.

Congratulations again Miriam, I know we all had an amazing time! If you want to check out a third set of pictures from the day here are mine!

-Tomahawk

Mir,

Congrats! What an amazing day it was! Your pie, champagne, and spiders were a great addition to the fun! I can't thank you enough for bringing me up my first 4000 fter this summer :D :D

Laurel

Thanks so much for inviting all of us to join you Miriam. This hike was the most fun I've had in a while; how could it miss with great company, fun constumes, amazing weather and views, and of course, enormous amounts of candy?!!! :p
Congratulations on a superior 48th!!!

A huge congrats, hockeycrew! Feels good, doesn't it? Glad the weather cooperated and nobody got their eyes shot out in the snowball fight. :D :D :D

Awesome job Hockeycrew... it was a blast hanging out with everyone. Good to meet so many new people, and hang out with again with friends. Special thanks to HWSNBN for driving me up. GO HC!

Congratulations HockeyCrew! You picked an excellent mountain for your 48th. I'm glad you had a great time! :)