My brush with death

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YIKES! :eek:

Glad everything turned out ok!

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Hopefully if they send you home with a heart monitor you will find out it is something as simple as Tachacardia, a PITA but harmless.

Besides, you still have to accept your award for the most beautiful avatar!

:)

No, I am not a doctor and no this is not medical advice.

Not all tachycardias are harmless -- however atrial (AV node) tachycardia is far less dangerous than the ventricular tachycardias. I'm told the most common of the SVTs (SupraVentricular Tachycardia) is atrial fibrillation. I have been to the ER with a family member on more than one occasion for the SVT diagnosis.

For this reason, I am more than mildly curious about your ultimate diagnosis. FWIW, it may come in batches and then go away. There are some techniques for making it go away in the field. Invoking the dive reflex by submerging your face in ice cold water (splashing cold water may help while out hiking) is one. Another involves bearing down like having a bowel movement or squeezing out a kid.

No, I am not a doctor and no this is not medical advice. Check with your doctor or cardiologist.

Glad you made it out OK.

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
No, I am not a doctor and no this is not medical advice.
No, I am not a DR. either, but I have AV Tachycardia, and if it kicks in, I usually just stop for a minute or 2, and then I'm ok. My DR. did not say it was harmless, he said if it happens, STOP, and to do the same things Tim just mentioned. If you continue to exert yourself, you will start to get light headed, and you could pass out, or go into arrest.

Hopefully, this will be good news or a the very least make you feel just a little bit better.
Many of us are walking your same path. I have it's cousin "supraventricular tachcardia/paroxysmal atril tachycardia". I also have very long runs of atrial bigeminy which are beyond annoying and make me feel almost as poorly as the SVT/PAT if it is sustained.
I get the same symptoms you describe but I do not have heart disease. Terrifying yes, deadly no.
I never get chest pain when I am in it, some very young folks describe having chest pain when it happened to them.
I gave up coffee for 3months and it still recurred. I cannot lie on my left side, or raise my arms over my head in the morning to stretch because I go right into it. Sometimes if I bend over quickly it will precipitate it. Alcohol will almost always set it off hours later.
If you had a heart attack and went into at fib, this would be a very different problem. The good news.... it appears they ruled that out.
Some of our presidents have been treated for this condition. It has no respect for age, and I have known some young people who have it, so no one is exempt.
They will usually check all your blood work including a thyroid test to be certain that this is not the cause. They might put you on a small monitor that you will wear 24-7 at home for several weeks. Unfortunately, these things don't always happen when you are wearing the monitor.
They put me on a beta blocker years ago and recently had to increase the dose. I also have a short acting one that I take when I go into the rhythm. Sometimes it works, other times I go to the ER. As my cardiologist told me years ago, "as scary as it is, you are NOT going to die!" When its happening, I don't necessarily believe that.
I have had it on the summit of Stratton, at Coolidge State Park in the middle of the night, in the Whites and in the Northeast Kingdom, all when I was solo. I had my dogs with me each time. I was more worried about them at the time than I was me.
There are two books written by a hiker who did the AT.
He had a history of at fib and was on a med for it. He went into it on the hike and ended up having to go down to a nearby town to get his treatment changed. He finished the AT, no problem.
It atrial arrythmias, such as the ones we have give us lots of grief, they can try to "ablate" the focus under anesthesia. It may or may not be successful but probably worth a shot if it becomes a big problem. I worked with a nurse who came to the ER 4x in one day and had hers ablated.
I'm certain you will be told all these things and more by your MD.
I hope this makes you feel a little bit better. You are not alone. I would be shocked if other hikers on these boards do not have similar problems. As annoying as it can be, it is far better to have atrial arrhythmias than the ones which originate in the ventricle . Some of those will find you knocking on the pearly gates.
Being on beta blockers alters how you exercise. They decrease you myocardial contractility and this makes you feel like you would at higher altitudes. I even read that in a sports magazine not too long ago. I am especially bothered in the heat and have to go more slowly. I enjoy hiking solo even more now because I am to slow for most people. It's very uncomfortable for me to try to keep up.
I will be thinking of you and hope you will be back on the trails in record time. I look forward to hearing how you are feeling and I wish you the very best.
All this from a fellow traveler in the "atrial arrhythmia" hiking club! This just happens to be as important a club as the 48- 4000 footer club! :D
Be well.

Thanks to all

I just wanted to thank everyone for the many private and public well wishes that I have received. It was a scary experience and your support has meant a lot. I have always felt that VFTT is not just a forum for exchanging trail and gear info, but is a real on-line community even though most of us have never met in person. Thanks to you all.

My cardiologist has assured me that I can resume my previous level of activity. To be honest this is the first time that my body has ever done something like this before and I don't quite trust it. (Paradox, in answer to your questions: I'm 52 and there isn't a history of heart disease in my family.) I have taken my pulse first thing upon awakening before, but only as a check that I'm not overtraining. Now I take it to make sure I'm still in sinus rhythm!

So I'm going out for a hike today but it will be around Goose Pond in Keene (flat and never more than a half mile from the car). Eventually I'll be back trying to do all three Bonds in one day, but not today.

Again, thanks to you all. You're a good group.

Happy trails.
- Steve (aka Monadnock Volunteer)

Facing one’s mortality is a sobering thing. Life is a precious gift. Take care of it and use it wisely. Be well and treasure each and every day. :)

dentonfabrics said:
Scarey story. 160 HR in the hospital? Holy crap! Glad you lived to play another day.
160 itself isn't necessarily a problem--it depends upon the person. (I regularly break 190 when biking and I'm over 50. I've also broken 200 in the past few years...)

Glad it turned out ok.

Doug

Probably wasn't doing hill repeats on skis or a bike while in the hospital though, so 160 is not normal for a person at rest. Not counting leaning on your ski poles to catch your breath after skiing up Cascade Brook. Also in afib, 160 means what? The av node is firing 160 times per minute but you probably aren't pumping at full efficiency either, hence the dizziness and light-headedness. As they say while climbing Everest, when your resting heart rate = max heart rate, all you can do is rest.

The max HR is a function of many things, and generally decays along the 220-your age formula as you get older. Doug at 50+ and having hit 200 is proof that the formula doesn't really work for everyone.

My own personal maxes have been in the low 190s, after racing 4 laps up Pinnacle Hill in Harvard, MA, and XC skiing after a long hill climb. I was in my 30s at the time and so it is much more in line with the formula.

Tim

I thought my encounter mt biking with a 5+ foot long rattlesnake yesterday was an eye opener. I am glad to hear you are all right. God bless and speedy recovery -brianW