My Epic Trek To Owls Head 10-22-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice TR and excellent photos Phil! They did your adventure justice and it looks like you got some peak Pemi foliage on your trip. I find the long Lincoln Woods exit actually goes better with the headlamp so you don't look down that long tunnel. It also helps to have someone along to talk to and pass the time. As others said Isolation in winter or winter conditions especially if the Engine Hill bushwhack is broken out can make a much better hike. Cherry-pick that day and you will not regret it! Thanks for sharing!

You did GREAT! :cool:

Enjoyable trip report and pics.

you beat my time by about 10 mins so I guess the black pond bushwhack doesnt save that much time. I personally think that Isolation is an easier hike than owlshead. That slide took me about the same time as you and I found it to be challenging in spots. Cant speak for the bonds hopefully I will be doing them soon.

My experience with bushwhacking is small , except for wandering around my home woods in southern NH, and here in Lebanon. I'm not going there unless I am with a group of experienced trekers. I consider myself excellent at following a map, but poor with a compass. ANd yea, the slide was a b*itch, esp since it was wet.

Fantastic account and beautiful pictures of an epic trip Phil. If you're still ready to go back after some of the conditions you went through then I think I feel a bit better about tackling this one for the first time (hopefully next year). Hopefully without the slush bombs though :rolleyes: Thanks for taking us along for a very entertaining ride!

Thanks, mtruman! I will prob hit Owls Head again at some point next year or after, a friend of mine will finish his 4ks on it! Glad you liked my report :)

Nice TR and pics....Admire your determination!! i too have some health issues that restrict my hiking goals (the Bonds, etc)..You did well..Thanks

Thanks jjo! For me, its the confidence that I can do it...I lost that confidence for awhile, and now I'm starting to get it back. I feel like if I can do a long distance hike like that, I can prob do anything else up there.

Very nice TR and excellent photos Phil! They did your adventure justice and it looks like you got some peak Pemi foliage on your trip. I find the long Lincoln Woods exit actually goes better with the headlamp so you don't look down that long tunnel. It also helps to have someone along to talk to and pass the time. As others said Isolation in winter or winter conditions especially if the Engine Hill bushwhack is broken out can make a much better hike. Cherry-pick that day and you will not regret it! Thanks for sharing!

I agree 100 percent with a dark lincoln woods trail exit being better....though I was kind of running on fumes by then anyways...my only real recollection of that section was.....it gets really dark in the woods!!! If I do Isolation in winter it will be in March and with many people because I don't have a lot of confidence bushwhacking, and plus I want it to be light out for a long time.

Nice, Phil!

One foot in front of the other. :)

That is right Sabrina!! :)

You did GREAT! :cool:

Enjoyable trip report and pics.

Thanks Maddy, glad you liked!

I thought the images of the crossings were the best. I did Owls Head in Sept. or Oct. 2005, when the currents were really low, and can appreciate how fortunate I was!

Can't imagine doing the slide on wet rock.