My Epic Trek To Owls Head 10-22-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Picture-125-L.jpg

Ok, maybe it wasn't epic, but it def was a small victory getting there. My previous record hike distance wise was 17 miles, 6 years ago. Since then, the closest I had gotten to that was 13 miles in 2007, and one 11 miler about a week ago. My knees and feet and epilepsy issues have been telling me they have had enough, so I have scaled back the big treks for awhile. But I decided to say screw it, and go for Owls Head anyways. Hikes like this one, or the Bonds, or Isolation, I have put on a pedestal as an impossible feat for someone like me to accomplish. But I'm not living thinking like that. I've been seizure free for a couple yrs now, my feet and knees have been relatively pain free, and I just bought a head lamp. GAME ON.

My friend and I started off a little late Sat morning, a little before 8am, but we knew we'd be walking out in the dark anways so it really didn't matter. All I really cared about was getting thru the crossings before dark.

Conditions were crappy to start...rainy, and cool, in the 40s. What a day to hike Owls Head. But still, there were nice scenes.

Picture-044-L.jpg

Leftover bronze
Picture-048-L.jpg

Birch Island brook and some more leftover...
Picture-053-L.jpg

Lincoln Woods around Osseo tr is my fav section before the wilderness boundary
Picture-060-L.jpg

The next couple pics are damage from Irene....quite impressive if you ask me!

Did the water REALLY get that high??
Picture-049-M.jpg

I do not remember there being open views like this
Picture-058-L.jpg

Check out the erosion
Picture-059-L.jpg

We made fairly quick time to the Pemi Wilderness...a little less than an hour, and then made quick work of the Franconia Brook trail too. The one downside to that section, was that I slid into one of the small streams before the Lincoln Brook junction, so I went thru the rest of the day with WET feet. I really didn't care...I was wearing wool, the water was warmer than the air temp, and with the stream crossings ahead, I wasn't all that concerned about getting wet.

Now where does he go??
Picture-077-L.jpg

Cascades along Lincoln Brook
Picture-082-L.jpg

Picture-087-L.jpg

Picture-100-L.jpg

cont in a min

Onward to Owls Head

an open view with some very stubborn trees
Picture-102-L.jpg

Ok, time to get the monkey off my back and hike this damn thing! My biggest reservations with the actual ascent of the mountain were, the steepness of the slide, and then hiking back down, especially since it was very wet.

the beginning of the slide was steep, but not bad at all....
Picture-109-L.jpg

I was doing quite well on the way up, although I was occasionally chilled by random gusts of wind. I wanted to get some nice shots from the slide, but vertigo got the best of me mostly, so any pics I took were quick and over my shoulder. The one that I liked most was the rainbow one, which is in post 1.

Picture-111-L.jpg

Pretty much stick season, don't ya think??
Picture-121-L.jpg

Picture-124-L.jpg

The worst part for me was not the slide itself, it was the far too narrow, steep chute I had to climb after the slide narrowed. My pace slowed considerably thru here, and the thrill of the climb stopped being fun. Just when I was most miserable, a burst of rain changed over to snow and came down in huge slush bombs...my first taste of winter this fall!! That seems to rejuvenate me and carried my up to the summit. I made it around 2pm, and met up with my friend, where we hung out for a short time, and ate a little food. There wasn't much time to dawdle, since we still had 9+ miles to go!

The worst part of the hike was on the descent. That same steep chute above the slide was just a PITA and then some for me. I was definitely more than nervous picking my way down a steep, wet, loose mountain slide, so the camera went away for a long time. I don't think it came out of my pack till much later in the afternoon....a very rare feat for me! Anyways, it took about 90 min to descend the slide path, the same amount it took to ascend. I was very happy to be back on solid ground!!

Now the long trek back to the car really began in earnest. There was still plenty of light left, so partway down the Lincoln Brook trail, there was time for a nice break, and some food. I could have stayed there for an hour or two, because the rock we sat on was so inviting.

Picture-141-L.jpg

a rough and tumble mtn stream
Picture-142-L.jpg

The slog continued. We made it about 1/2 way down the Franconia Brook trail before I decided to toss on the headlamp. This was the first time I had to use the light extensively, and I must say...I cannot believe how dark it gets in the woods!! I was waiting for a random moose to wander across the trail ahead of me. Luckily, that didn't happen. ;)

Anyways, the long walk came to an end around 7:45pm, just under 12 hours after we started. I consider that a darn good time considering I haven't done 18 miles before, and that the conditions were much less than ideal. So another 4000 footer is checked off the list. I think thats either 35 or 36...I'll have to check.

Despite the distance, and all the crap I went thru to get to the summit, I think I'd do it again. The solitude cannot be beat. The feeling of being between Franconia Ridge and Owls Head was surreal...almost overwhelming. Granted their were several other hikers out there today...if we went on a weekday, I bet we'd have the trail to ourselves.

Hope you enjoyed the report, and pics. It was a less than ideal picture day, but I did my best.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...-Owls-Head/19706520_HHsstR#1546579193_fVJmcgJ

Great pics and report. Glad you owned the beast in spite of being unsure at first. I like the late color so much, its muted sleepy way allures and warns. And how can anyone not love slush blobs on a crazy chimney?

Thanks! It was a toughie for sure. And yea, the late color really can help one's spirits on an early morning where waking up is difficult. I work nights, so hiking before 8am was next to impossible. haha

I think you've proved your mettle on this one, Phil! Nice going! And some great pics!

KDT

I'd like to think so too. I do feel like since I did Owls Head, I can hit the rest the rest of them fairly easily. The Bonds will prob be the next hardest to nail. I see I can do the mileage, so Isolation should be doable. etc etc...

Thanks!! I def lucked out on the rainbow, it disappeared within 30 secs!

...Hikes like this one, or the Bonds, or Isolation, I have put on a pedestal as an impossible feat for someone like me to accomplish. But I'm not living thinking like that. I've been seizure free for a couple yrs now, my feet and knees have been relatively pain free, and I just bought a head lamp. GAME ON...

That is so great. I smiled when I read that. Good for you.

Love the pictures, especially the one with the rainbow. We were there two weeks before and a lot of changes have occurred. Looking over from the slide there was a lone bright RED tree in a sea of green, yellow, and orange foliage when we went. Good job. Well done, and well written.

Owl's Head is one of my favorites. Well done. Nice report and pictures. Thanks for sharing your day.

Excellent pics as always ..

Congratulations on getting it done under less than ideal conditions..wait..is there really a good day for that slog?...

I liked your comment about the snow bombs so much think I will head up there tomorrow...

Great report and congrats on bagging the Owl. If I may offer a suggestion on Isolation- do it this Winter. It's a beautiful snowshoe hike, and the wack knocks it down to 12miles.
Awesome pics!

Petch

you beat my time by about 10 mins so I guess the black pond bushwhack doesnt save that much time. I personally think that Isolation is an easier hike than owlshead. That slide took me about the same time as you and I found it to be challenging in spots. Cant speak for the bonds hopefully I will be doing them soon.

Fantastic account and beautiful pictures of an epic trip Phil. If you're still ready to go back after some of the conditions you went through then I think I feel a bit better about tackling this one for the first time (hopefully next year). Hopefully without the slush bombs though :rolleyes: Thanks for taking us along for a very entertaining ride!