Need CAR for backcountry roads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Cash for Clunkers" rebates are in place, depending on what you're trading in, you may get $3500 to $4500 from Big Brother. I had thoughts of trading in our 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager but the mpg is higher than what is allowed for the trade in deals.

Keep in mind you'll only be "off-road" a tiny fraction of the time and most vehicles will handle it with some caution. If it's "that bad", a small 4wd might not be any help anyway.

I'd buy a small deisel pick-up truck if I really wanted something cheap and fuel efficient with ground clearance. My MB E300 TD is a four door, 6cyl, 3l german tank and gets 30mpg combined regardless.

Last edited:
The names Outback and Legacy can be confusing. In different model years, Outback has been a model or a trim line.

For instance, in 2002 (my model year), Legacy was a model (contrast with Forrester and Imprezza) and the Outback was a trim line of the Legacy model (ie Legacy vs Legacy Outback). The Legacy Outback had a bit more clearance and a better differential system than did the plain Legacy. IIRC, the milage ratings were the same.

I haven't kept up with Subaru's name games, so I can't tell you exactly what the distinctions are for the current models.

Doug

They are somewhat distinct now, the older models used to be the Legacy Outback, now with my 3rd gen outback, you wont find legacy anywhere on my car or papers.

Subaru is pushing out the 2010 models now anyway, so things are achangin' again, losing some models and I heard they are putting out a CVT tranny insead of the 5EAT automatic. And some rumors about losing the standard transmission in some models.....

For the 3rd generation, the Legacys are more road wagons whereas the Outbacks, classified as Light Trucks now were geared towards the crossover market. The Legacy GT sharing the same 2.5L turbo as the Outback XT, but with a bit lower stance and better handling and marginally better mileage.

Jay

We have a VW Tiguan. Absolutely fantastic!

All trim lines have a 4 cyl. 200hp engine, great clearance & tons of space inside. The split rear seats not only fold flat, but slide forward (like the front seats) if you want to carry people, but require a bit more cargo room.

The best part by far is the massive sunroof which stretches from front to back. When open, the front half slides completely over the rear half.

Ours happens to be the SEL (loaded), because at the time we were looking it was the only trim line with leather (for dog durability - the same reason we bought our condo). However, I'm a bit of a nut and crawled through all the trim lines and I'm sure they won't disappoint.

Hey JDub; I bought my Mini off the lot in Peabody. I checked around and they had what I wanted in stock...plus they gave me a righteous trade for my Outback, and a sweet financing deal.

I looked into the Fit and the Scion last year, they seemed a bit too tinny for my liking - I like a solid car; and I like the way Euro cars drive. I checked into the new Honda Insight this year, but with no fed rebates for Honda hybrids anymore -- I decided it wasn't worth it -- the reviewers on the Scion, Fit and Insight all thumbed down the solid ness of the interiors; not an issue for many but one for me, for that kind of money, I want something that is going to stay clean and scratch free. But as TOM stated, its all about personal likes and dislikes....the Mini has been on my wish list for several years now, but the little coupe is too small for Terra to ride comfortably -- the Clubby has a really nice space for her -- I think she's given it two paws up! :)

I've had the Clubby now for a week, hah, so take my review with a grain of salt!!! LOVE the "sport" button, fun to drive, I've gotten the gear ratios of the six speed manual down now and appreciate that the tach is in my face! My real time mpg is average 38 mpg and I have only been doing city driving with a few brief interludes on 128.

I did the math and I've been a Suby owner from 1998 to 2009, and have spent about 35k on those two cars -- I'd say they are pricey to own!!! Before that I had a Toyota 4wd pickup, cost me ten grand brand new and I drove it for 10 years with no break downs or major repairs, ayup -- that was a good ride.

Last edited:
In my serious peakbagging days I balanced life with two cars: A 4runner for the backroads stuff and and a Sentra for efficiency. Then, after finishing the list, I downsized to one vehicle that was a balance for my needs. I looked at the Outback, Forester, and CRV...I preferred the handling and functionality of the Forester. While you can't use it to drive up skidder paths or along snowmachine trails like one might with a 4runner in 4WD low :D, it does allow you to cruise along logging haul roads at 40mph without having to worry about wiping out your exhaust, and that is nice.

I had a 98 Forester and when it died in 2007, I looked at the selection again and replaced it with another Forester.

Recently, I try to maximize mpg by driving efficiently and limiting speed to 60mph. These days, I squeezing 31.5mpg vs 28mpg for unrestricted driving habits.

The Fit is a nice car and has much history outside the US as it has been sold for some time in China, Thailand, and Brazil. When I asked about it, my Thai colleage informed me that it is not stable at 100+mph vs the Yaris that handles very well at 130mph :eek:(according to him.) This probably is not a factor.

A little extra ground clearance perhaps?

04outback.jpg

I never learned to drive standard ... waahhhhh!!!
No better time to learn than the present. I learned from my wife (only engaged at the time) when I was 20. It's a short learning curve in today's cars where the syncromesh is very forgiving. You just need a few hours of city driving to get your clutch/gas mojo sorted out. Then head out to Fitchburg, MA and try some steep hill-starts.

Then you can graduate to something like this:

8_66.jpg

I can get it to physically move, but the sight is comical. :D

In my serious peakbagging days I balanced life with two cars: A 4runner for the backroads stuff and and a Sentra for efficiency. Then, after finishing the list, I downsized to one vehicle that was a balance for my needs. I looked at the Outback, Forester, and CRV...I preferred the handling and functionality of the Forester. While you can't use it to drive up skidder paths or along snowmachine trails like one might with a 4runner in 4WD low :D, it does allow you to cruise along logging haul roads at 40mph without having to worry about wiping out your exhaust, and that is nice.

I had a 98 Forester and when it died in 2007, I looked at the selection again and replaced it with another Forester.

Recently, I try to maximize mpg by driving efficiently and limiting speed to 60mph. These days, I squeezing 31.5mpg vs 28mpg for unrestricted driving habits.

The Fit is a nice car and has much history outside the US as it has been sold for some time in China, Thailand, and Brazil. When I asked about it, my Thai colleage informed me that it is not stable at 100+mph vs the Yaris that handles very well at 130mph :eek:(according to him.) This probably is not a factor.

call me skeptical, but a Yaris doing 130 mph?
kph maybe?

call me skeptical, but a Yaris doing 130 mph?
kph maybe?

Actually all speeds were told in kph. He said that he was surprised to be following a Yaris at 220kph in his toyota and even more surprised by how stable it was at that speed.

Thailand is noted for traffic, but when there is no traffic, the circulation is fast as there are no speed traps. My Thai colleague was visiting the US and I explained the term Shotgun for the front passenger seat. He says they call it the death seat. :eek: As passengers in Thailand, we argue over not sitting in the death seat.

xB

I love my Scion xB too. It's got about 6" of clearance which makes it fine for the likes of Jeff Notch Road and Success Pond Road, but I would not attempt Sandwich Notch in it.

Some of these cars do come with the option of bigger wheels, which I assume would improve their clearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLXqvrwKY3s
It IS everything that it is cracked up to be.
2009 should be marked down soon making room for 2010.

Shared by the proud owner of a bright yellow FJ cruiser. A picture is worth a thousand word!
MADDY

Last edited: