Nepali parks marked by missing visitors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCARY!!!! Also, remember the unsolved murder of Louise Chaput in 2001 - was found stabbed to death near the Glen Boulder Trail....

...When will it ever be safe to travel solo?

:mad:

Never. Ever. And even less so for women who travel solo.
Shoot the messenger if you want. But it's the truth.

To be perfectly honest, I barely make eye contact when I pass a solo woman/girl on the trail. Just a microsecond smile and Hi, and keep going. I try to make it perfectly clear to her that I'm no threat. If she starts the conversation, I'll stop and chat, but I'll never initiate anything. It's not rudeness on my part, it's just my not wanting to create any uncomfortable feelings in her. And I'm probably as much of a pig as any other normal guy, but never when the girl is alone and vulnerable. That's a no-fly zone.

Actually, I wonder, statistically - it could be MUCH safer to be solo hiking than riding/driving to the trailhead!!!!

I hiked/trail ran solo in several countries in Europe this summer and felt safe. Safer than I did when I lived in Philadelphia. I met many locals and other foreigners along the way. I had alot of good conversations and actually hiked with some of local Slovenes. When people found out I was from the US, they wanted to practice their English. Thats not to say my guard was not up but I hate to think that I would need to give up solo hiking.

Actually, I wonder, statistically - it could be MUCH safer to be solo hiking than riding/driving to the trailhead!!!!

I agree, I think the danger lies at the trailhead where anyone can pull in to "look around", once Im in the backcountry, I rarely worry about anything people wise. AS far as talking to woman who are solo in the backcountry, that I do, if you want to meet someone that hikes it doesnt get better then that, she's already hiking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I hadn't known about these events, and might not have paid too much attention except that Brian and I are looking into a trip to Nepal, Tsum Vally, also known as the Valley of Happiness. As it would be a group trip, our risk factor would be far lower.

As a woman who occasionally hikes alone, I try to remind myself that I could get worked up over potential dangers and not enjoy my trek, or stay home. What I usually do is try to rationalize what I'm doing and remember the acronym for FEAR is: False Expectations Appear Real.