New "connector trail" for Saddleback?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all...

Heard this weekend about a new "connector" trail on Saddleback (maine) that would be for hikers, snowmobilers, etc.

Any further info out there...like, with a map?

I googled it...found lots of articles...but not much info I could use to actually hike it...

Thanks for the info.

I believe the "connector trail" is just a legal construct to allow motorized traffic across the AT corridor. I believe it is the dirt road the AT crosses just west of the start of the ascent of the mountain just after Eddy Pond. When Dan Breen was "greenmailing" the National Park Service, he had the Eddy Pond area listed as a major develoment area (anything to drive the price of the easement up). This road had been used for bootleg vehicle access to Eddy Pond at one time but I do not know if it still can be used. Its pretty obvious on Google Earth. If its primary use is for snowmobiling, it wont impact the majority of the hiking public but its could become a very popular ATV trail (whether legal or not) and then Eddy Pond and the adjacent pond to the SW would probably get a lot of use (abuse)by ATV'ers which would impact the AT. I dont see it as much use for hikers unless the fairly significant logging road network was upgraded for vehicle use, I exepct most folks hiking from the west to do Saddleback will prefer a stop by Piazza Rock and parking at the highway.

According to some recent articles, the trail will be multi-functional, used by ATVers, snowmobilers, hikers and cross country skiers. For hikers, it will connect the AT to a Fly Rod Crosby Heritage Trail, which will go from Strong, ME to Oquossoc, ME. That trail is under construction and I read that it will go for 45 miles. :cool: I am guessing that the Oquossoc end of the Fly Rod Crosby Heritage trail will terminate at the recently built fly fishing museum honoring her and others. What I am not clear on is whether the Connector itself will have a separate hiking trail, or if it will be a shared use road.

Here is the URL for one of the articles describing the Connector: http://www.theirregular.com/news/2011-06-29/Front_Page/West_Saddleback_Connector_celebrated.html

I also found an online map. If you zoom on it, you can see that they are planning a trail from the Saddleback ski area to the West Connector, which takes you to Eddy Pond on the AT. Here is the URL: http://highpeaksalliance.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/wsconnector_6-21-11_web.jpg

I may have to go check it out this summer. If I do, I will report back.

Marty

Last edited: