new goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Yesterday I completed my 48. I was wondering what most hikers set for their new goals after completing this list.

Congratulations!

I personally didn't do anything more. Now, I just drive north and go wherever I feel like going that day. My hikes are dependant on weather, mood, if my dog's with me, day of the week, who my partner is, etc.

I'm making a half-assed attempt to redline each of the trails, but I know it's nothing I will ever complete. Gives me the opportunity to try to hit different trails when I can, but not the driving force.

A Longer, Slower Approach

One thing I'm working up to -- more of a fitness than a list thing -- is being able to take a long day more slowly.

I did the Wildcats this weekend and felt I had to keep hustling if I was to make the whole thing in daylight hours. On the way, I passed a guy who had started at 4:30 at Gorham and was doing the whole range from Rattle River to Wildcat E. I'd like to ease off the list a little and back into paces that stop longer for views and breaks. Peak-bagging is changing the way I hike, and I don't always dig it!

Also, there are great cult-hikes out there that aren't on major lists; I'd like to find more of them and expand the horizons (see Red Hill or Blue Job ["Job" as in 'the patience of...']).

Lastly, I like to get away from the lists entirely and luck out on a trip to Yosemite. Now that's a good expenditure of disposable income!

Later,

--M.

Congratulations!

We finished ours in 2003 and to be honest, I miss the challenge and the pursuit of a goal that the list provides. Since then, I have continued to hike yet not in the same intensity as before. We adopted a trail which gives us enjoyment and a since of accomplishment. For several years we were working on home projects which prevented us from doing overly aggressive hikes. Now that these projects are complete and I have relocated to NH, I plan to pursue the Winter 48’s starting this winter.

Congratulations.

I resolved at the time I completed the 48 to never do a list again.

I recently changed my mind and have decided to do the winter 48.

At the rate I'm going, I will be 71 when I'm done.

You can do the New England 4000'ers now, or the Adirondack 46, or the New England 100 Highest, or the Northeast 115, or any of the above in Winter.

If you're really a glutton for punishment, thers is the New England 3000'ers, or the North East 3000'ers (770).

Then there are other lists, like fire tower climbing, The Catskill 3500'ers, 52 with a View, Trailwrights 72, Views And Brews, Prominence Peaks, etc., etc.

Here is a list of lists:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/lists.html

The only list I worked on after the NH 48 was the NE 67. It got me to places in Maine and VT that I loved, and have revisited several times. Beyond that I haven't worried about lists. They never were a big motivator for me anyways.

And, congrats!

-dave-

Plenty to keep you busy! Here's my own progression: :D

NH 4s
NE 4s
NE 100 highest
NH 100 highest
Trailwrights 4s
Winter NH 4s
Winter NE 4s
Winter NE 100 highest
Winter Trailwrights 4s
NH 4s in every month
(IMO the same peak is different each time you climb it!)

CO 14ers (43 of 55 done)
US highpoints (26 of 50 done)

Then there are the ADK 4s, Catskill 3500s, NH 200 highest, VT/NH/ME/MA/NY/PA 3000 footers, & many, many long-distance trails...

ADKs

You know, I don't think there's enough cross-pollenization between the Whites and the Adirondacks. So my vote if you've gotten to know New Hampshire is to be sure to get New York involved. I'm mostly a Whites-centric Massachusetts suburban yankee, but going to college really exposed me to the 'DAKs, and they're not only compelling in their own right, they have a different vibe than the Whites. They're also a blast to explore (avatar puns notwithstanding).

Last edited:
After we finished the NH 4's, we did NE 4's and Hundred Highest list at the same time. We then went to NY and did the Daks and started the Catskills. I have to say, I loved NY and can't wait to go back. Just wish it weren't so far away.

As others have posted, there are many lists out there to keep you going. As long as we're hiking, we're happy. :p

Congratulations! I finished my 48th about two weeks ago on Madison. Since then I looked back and realized that I've done most (36) of them solo. So I'm going to go back and re-do the ones I didn't do by myself. That combined with doing over my favorites, and hiking trails I haven't seen yet should keep me going for quite awhile.

I think doing lists is kind of mental. The first time I heard about a list (ADK46) I scoffed and told my son that that was sooo stupid. Now he loves reminding about that because even before doing the 46 I was well into the ADK Hundred and the 46-W. My favourite lists though are the ADKHH-B and ADKHH-W. Then there's 50 ADK slides, a list I make up as I go along. I know, I'm mental.

One list no one will ever do: Waterways. You have to walk up the middle of streams as high up to the summit as possible on each mountain.

So far, I feel no "list attraction" when in the Whites but def. want to keep doing stuff in the Presies. You see I like that train whistle...

Also, bushwhacking 3Kers in Maine and NH seems like good clean fun.

Congrats on completing your first list. For those who live in VT and NH I think Stinkyfeet's post is representative of the progression many use who like to use lists. Personally, I never felt the need to do the NH 100 but did do the ADK's as I wanted to complete the 115 (covers the high peaks in NY as well as NE). But, living in NH makes doing the ADKs tough as dayhikes and that's a factor for some. If you continue to do lots of hiking in NH then you sneak up (mostly) on the Trailwrights without too much effort. And doing the various lists in Winter adds a whole new dimension.

Perhaps most importantly - I hope you continue to hike, whether you use a list to help motivate or not. Lots of people complete a major list like the NH 48 or ADK 46 and fade away to the couch.

Last edited:
Lists for the fanatical

The NH 4 k peaks are a nice way to start hiking. If you want to keep hiking different mountains and need a goal, think in terms of what skills you want to build:

NE 4000 footers- more trail hiking on longer and more remote trails
52 with a view-trail hiking with nice views and less travel
NE 100 Highest- lots of travel and a mix of trails and some fairly heavily travelled bushwhacks
NH 100 Highest- A lot of bushwhacks, some of which are nasty
NH 3000 footers- more bushwhacks and route finding (road and foot) problems
Vt 3000 footers- lots of trail hiking and pleasant bushwacks through mostly open woods
Me 3000 footers-Some really long days here

If winter hiking appeals to you (and it has become less demanding in recent years) the NH 48 is a good place to cut your teeth. because they are fairly heavily trafficked even in winter, but are still to be respected.

--M. said:
You know, I don't think there's enough cross-polinization between the Whites and the Adirondacks.
This is true. There are about 500 115'ers and almost 6,000 46R's, and at least 7,000 NH 4K'ers. I realize there is room for error here, but not many people do both lists.

next

Congrats on your 48, I look back on that pursuit with great memories. To me I was not motivated to do any list after the 48. I just hiked where I wanted. Then I took up rockclimbing and iceclimbing. 15 yrs later I found myself out west and found my next list, the 14ers of CO and CA. I now have that great pursuit of a list again and even better in mountains I dont know like the back of my hand. List are nice because they bring you to new terrain, to me that is thier highest quality. As far as the other list in NH they didnt do it for me, Im not a big bushwacking fan and the smaller peaks in the same ranges just dont motivate me to chase a list in NH. Ive climbed in NY but the list there is not for me either. As others have suggested there are things to do, my advice would be to stay " list free" for at least a little while and just ramble around the mountains.

Congratulations! May you enjoy every hike whether it's on a list or not. Do you feel any different about hiking now that you're completed the list? What motivated you to complete it? I ask because I'm feeling ambiguous about finishing the list...

Since moving up here in late August, I only went from 38 to 40/48, but I've enjoyed hiking Garfield, Lafayette, and Lincoln again, and will revisit Jefferson soon, (although probably not this weekend due to my daughter visiting from college). I also want to go back to the Bonds, Moosilauke, Jackson, and explore the Webster Cliff trail for the first time. Although I'd like to finish the list as you have, and was hoping to do so this year (at one point I felt like I was on a mission!), now I'm feeling less motivated and am more interested in just hiking those places that I want to see again, or explore peaks and trails not on the list, that I haven't been to before. Did you go through a period like this and if so, how did you get re-motivated to finish the list? Thanks for any sage advice you can offer! And congratulations again! :)

Stinky and Bushwack Bill have listed most of the major lists but there was one that was missed: doing the 48/67/100 in all four seasons. The 48x4 is the goal that I am most engaged in right now. Sure, I've only got 3 left towards the 67 and 19 left towards the NEHH but, I'm more interested in seeing the places that I love in the different seasons and seeing how they change. This coming weekend, I aim to get 7 more toward my Fall48!

Of course, once winter is here, I'll be going for my remaining Winter48 as much as I can! This is the only list I've found to be nearly as exciting as the first time 'round the 48.

Some people hate the lists. Some people could care less. But some of us are goal orriented and pursue lists simply because they are another way that we can push ourselves. To all the haters out there, all I say is "Don't hate the playa'. Hate the game!" :D