New Hiking List - The Ossipee 10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rocket21 said:
I think it's actually the Belknap County Sportsmen Association that oversees that list.

Actually, about three years ago a guy had a similar idea to rocket21 - make a list, design a patch and get the word out. He came up with 12 peaks in the Belknaps, although I think he could have added several more. He had a patch designed and found a sponsor, which I assume is the Belknap County Sportsmen Association (to front the money for patches?). I never heard that it was a ‘fundraiser’ as mentioned on RoT, and don’t see how it could raise much money. Having been in touch with him several times I know that he himself has helped with some trail work but I am unaware if any others from the Asso. have even hiked the peaks and am quite sure none have done trail maintenance.

When I was told about the Belknap list/patch I was concerned ‘there goes the neighborhood’. But so far I have seen no real issues.

Since the LRCT has opened up many of the trails on the Castle property more people are becoming aware of the lovely area the Ossipee Mountains are. A ‘list’ will draw more attention but I don’t see it becoming overrun either. Both ranges could use more trail adopters though.

carole said:
Since the LRCT has opened up many of the trails on the Castle property more people are becoming aware of the lovely area the Ossipee Mountains are. A ‘list’ will draw more attention but I don’t see it becoming overrun either. Both ranges could use more trail adopters though.

I look at it as more of a spreading out of crowds...I doubt there will be many, if any, net new hikers in New Hampshire because of an Ossipee (or Belknap) list. I do think that perhaps the list will introduce hikers to a new range...whereas someone might otherwise head to the Whites or the Belknaps, they may check out the Ossipees. Ideally, the list would attract enough attention to force the issue of getting trails to some other peaks in the range, but I'm getting ahead of myself :)

rocket21 said:
I look at it as more of a spreading out of crowds...I doubt there will be many, if any, net new hikers in New Hampshire because of an Ossipee (or Belknap) list.

Wait until they find how many ticks make their homes in the lower elevations. :eek: Seriously, be prepared with DEET and check for ticks afterwards, especially in the early season.

The peaks are quite nice now, Flagg and Shaw especially now that they have been opened up.

Thanks for that map. There are a few trails not shown (the map says "not complete"!) that I'm curious about. One of the ledges on the Mt Flagg trail close to the peak has "Bean Pond --->" painted on it. I tried to follow what could be a trail, but without success. I guess I'm just curious about it.

There is really still a need for trail adopters? I had sent a couple emails to an email address on the LRCT website but didn't hear anything back. I just figured they had plenty of maintainers already.

jrichard said:
Wait until they find how many ticks make their homes in the lower elevations. :eek: Seriously, be prepared with DEET and check for ticks afterwards, especially in the early season.
Thanks for that map. There are a few trails not shown (the map says "not complete"!) that I'm curious about.

Can't say I'm a fan of the ticks. I should add, though, that I haven't had any issues with ticks on Bayle and Sentinel. I found one today when I did Turtleback and Bald Knob, I suspect it originated from the former.

In regard to the map, it's a work in progress. In fact, the Trail Bandit has mapped out some additional trails and logging roads, which will likely be on the next version of it.

rocket21 said:
Can't say I'm a fan of the ticks. I should add, though, that I haven't had any issues with ticks on Bayle and Sentinel. I found one today when I did Turtleback and Bald Knob, I suspect it originated from the former.

In regard to the map, it's a work in progress. In fact, the Trail Bandit has mapped out some additional trails and logging roads, which will likely be on the next version of it.

Awesome.

I wish I could say I've had the same luck on Sentinel. :( I'm sure the season matters though. (As an anecdote: One late, spring day, a small party of us hiked up Big Ball Mountain and altogether we found more than 100 ticks. That's a record for me.)

jrichard said:
One of the ledges on the Mt Flagg trail close to the peak has "Bean Pond --->" painted on it. I tried to follow what could be a trail, but without success. I guess I'm just curious about it.
That looks like it could be interesting.

jrichard said:
There is really still a need for trail adopters? I had sent a couple emails to an email address on the LRCT website but didn't hear anything back. I just figured they had plenty of maintainers already.
There is a new property adopter for the Castle trails. I'm sending you a PM with his email address.

Well, now that the cat is out of the bag (see below for the pun), I will break my self-imposed trip report embargo and spill the Bean(s).

For the past five years, I've been hiking and skiing the eastern and northern sides of the Ossipees. I have selfishly hoarded the beta and shared it only with one other VFTT'er. But now that others have so selflessly given to the rest of you (in other words, spoiled my fun ;) ), herewith some tips.

Put the new map in front of you. Locate White Brook (SW of Conner Pond) and see how a trail lying to the south and east of the brook wraps around the SE end of a small unnamed beaver pond. Follow that trail back to the northeast until it meets a road spur. That spur is Bean Mountain Road in Center Ossipee, which you can find named on Mapquest and unnamed in Delorme's NH Atlas and Gazetteer. The trailhead has parking room for a few cars. The trail is on land owned by Chocorua Forestlands, LLC. It's a snowmobile trail and does see a lot of sled traffic on weekends. There is also a fair bit of hunting near the trail for bear, moose, and deer in their respective fall seasons, so keep that in mind later this year.

There are multiple old logging roads running down to this trail from the highlands to the southeast. The skiing and snowshoeing is fabulous on these old roads and on the ones running down from the upper reaches of Lovell River and White Brook. No, it's not Tuckerman Ravine or even the Sherburne Ski Trail -- it's XC, fer cryin' out loud. Edges are a plus but not a necessity.

Between the aforementioned Mt. Flagg and Bean Mtn. are multiple cat scratchin' trees. This particular kitty left marks as high as I can reach, and I heard him/her a few years back on a couple of occasions. Its presence was also confirmed by DNA analysis. I couldn't find any current evidence in the field the last couple of winters, though.

You will need some navigational skills, a map and a compass. The trails are sans signs and were laid out by loggers, not hikers. Enjoy, and stay the @#$! out of my way. :p

carole said:
I never heard that it was a ‘fundraiser’ as mentioned on RoT, and don’t see how it could raise much money.... I am unaware if any others from the Asso. have even hiked the peaks and am quite sure none have done trail maintenance.
The PeakMaster talked to some guy at BSC who said it was a fundraiser, as you say I'm not sure that any of whatever minuscule funds they raise got to trail work.

I completed this august list today, hiking to Turtleback by way of the Bald Knob, Turtleback Mtn. and Turtleback Summit Trails, with detour 'whack to true summit of Bald Knob. Not perfect viewing conditions for such a terrific view hike, but the best for me in quite a while.

I'm the first to achieve this feat since rocket21 invented the List two months ago, or at least the first to consider it worth mentioning. So rocket, where's my stinkin' patch? :D

Pix here.

Amicus said:
I'm the first to achieve this feat since rocket21 invented the List two months ago, or at least the first to consider it worth mentioning. So rocket, where's my stinkin' patch? :D

I'm pretty sure you said you'd sponsor the patch aspect of it...

Amicus said:
I'll gladly pay for 500 OX patches out of my pocket, in exchange for being able to be the first one to complete the list.

Where I come from, that's enough for an agreement - you of all people should know the legality of that :)

rocket21 said:
I'm pretty sure you said you'd sponsor the patch aspect of it...
Amicus said:
I'll gladly pay for 500 OX patches out of my pocket, in exchange for being able to be the first one to complete the list.

I wondered if you'd cracked the code for editing the posts of others, but see that you haven't (yet). My best offer - if your design features gold brocade, I'll pick up a portion (to be determined by me) of your incremental expense.

Amicus said:
I wondered if you'd cracked the code for editing the posts of others, but see that you haven't (yet). My best offer - if your design features gold brocade, I'll pick up a portion (to be determined by me) of your incremental expense.

When I first read that, I thought you said 'gold barcode,' but gold brocade seems a bit less random. Nothing but the best for the Ossipees!

Amicus said:
I completed this august list today, hiking to Turtleback by way of the Bald Knob, Turtleback Mtn. and Turtleback Summit Trails, with detour 'whack to true summit of Bald Knob. Not perfect viewing conditions for such a terrific view hike, but the best for me in quite a while.

Pix here.
Not so fast! I finished (with Sentinel, 4 ticks) on June 19, 2009, date negotiable, Amicus :D
I suspect there are many others who completed these fun, beautiful peaks long before Rocket21 published it. Thanks, again, Jeremy.

RickB. said:
I suspect there are many others who completed these fun, beautiful peaks long before Rocket21 published it.

Indeed. To quote from my own more detailed accounf on Rocks on Top:

It is humbling to be the first person to complete this list, since its invention two months ago (or, at least, the first to consider the feat worth mentioning). I recognize, however, that hundreds, possibly even hundreds of thousands, have gone before me over the centuries. The Ossipee band of the Abnaki Nation had their headquarters nearby, after all, and the reverent awe that kept them away from Agiocochook and the other high summits of the Whites may not have extended to these less pretentious peaks.

Roy Swkr and probably other posters here also racked these up before Jeremy's bright idea.

I concede the priority of your claim - you get the first patch. I'm in it for the scenery, not the glory, anyway.

Amicus said:
I concede the priority of your claim - you get the first patch. I'm in it for the scenery, not the glory, anyway.

I'd argue that the Trail Bandit perhaps should be in line for one of the first patches. Perhaps the first honorary hypothetical patch would go to Thoreau? :)

Amicus said:
Henry D. would have enjoyed all ten, I'm sure. I don't know whether Trail Bandit cares about patches, but his map and trail-work certainly justify highest praise.
I figure that, since you're footing the bill, what's 2 more patches? :)

If this ever did get to the point in which a patch were feasible (considering the Belknap patches haven't been, it's probably a longshot...though perhaps a Belknap-Ossipee-Squam Lakes Region patch might garner more interest), it'd be neat to have the mountains as a back drop, a castle somewhere in it, and perhaps for honesty, a tick :)

Amicus said:

No, no, as the first/only poster you deserve the first patch with all its attendant glory and endorsements/sponsorships.
If there ever were a list the quest for which were its own reward, this is it.

rocket21 said:
Perhaps the first honorary hypothetical patch would go to Thoreau? :)
Even though he'd never been to a single one of them?

I haven't been to Bayle so A is once again ahead of me.

RoySwkr said:
Even though he'd never been to a single one of them?

I haven't been to Bayle so A is once again ahead of me.

That's why it's called honorary :)

And a mountain that RoySwkr hasn't been to? Wow! There's even a log book up there! See, this list is of benefit to everyone!