New NH Trail - Scarboro Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
The front page of this week's Carroll County Independent carries this article on the Scarboro Ridge Trail, which traverses a 5.2-mile ridge in Freedom, NH that parallels the Maine border, which is less than a mile to its east.

This excellent undertaking was the work of the Scarboro Trail Association, of which the leader and animating spirit is Sally Stoops of Freedom.

The Trail hits four summits - from N to S, Durgin Hill, x 1557 (the high-point), x 1358 and Prospect Mtn. There are many terrific views, such as this westward vista from x 1358:

614545311_S4am7-L-1.jpg

Moses Sweetser himself waxed enthusiastically about the views from Prospect Mtn. in his 1875 White Mtns. Guide. They include Mt. Washington:

436447875_4yWke-L-4.jpg

the Ossipees:

436447989_AD7zf-L-3.jpg

and Green Mountain:

436449008_pJjUJ-L-4.jpg

Very Nice...your Photography has come a long way also.

Great to know about a new place in that part of NH. Nice photos!:)

Had a chance to check out some of this trail yesterday. Three of us started at the south end, went up and over Prospect Mtn., and turned around a short ways after the unmarked section. Our favorite views were east into Maine, but there were also good outlooks to the south and west over this stretch (sorry, no pictures.)

The trail tended to be easy to follow and, not surprisingly, has some great footing. It's hard to avoid stepping on fragile-looking lichen during the rockier sections--hopefully a footway will become defined before too much it is eroded/knocked off.

The perfect weather helped, but we enjoyed our trip and plan to be back. Good terrain for snowshoeing, too. Thanks to everyone who helped out with the construction!

OK, so I read the article and all, but can anyone provide a reference as to where the trailhead is or is it marked obviously. The article says Old Portland Rd., but that road is pretty long (even the section from route 25 to Scarboro Rd is over a mile).

Sounds like a good family hike and I hate to blunder around finding trailheads with a car full of people.

Any info is helpful. Thx

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the construction!

You're welcome! At least three Views members and a fourth virtual member put in some long days clearing a good chunk of the Trail. The Carroll Co. Ind. article named one of them, but that stands for the quartet.

Last edited:
I hiked the southern end of the trail to Prospect Mountain today. Really lovely trail and mountain setting.
I'm not sure it is an ideal family hike at this point. Much of it is a route with no established footpath and the terrain includes side-hilling on leaves and several slabs that are leaf-covered and pretty slick. Not overly treacherous by any means but not as pedestrian as most of the trails in the Ossipees, for example.
There is little to guide one at the beginning of the trail. Walk in past the chain depicted in the photo Amicus was kind enough to furnish, bear right at the truck and follow the road for a while to a clearing with a single, large tree in it. The trail, with its pink ties, goes left into the woods at this point and you're on your way.
Many thanks to the trail builders. I can't wait to traverse the entire trail now that I have a feel for the place.

I've been meaning to resurrect this old post, just to inform any forum searcher that the southern trailhead has been closed for a while (sign at south end indicated access to the trail from the north only) and that the trail up to the ridge south of Prospect was falling into obscurity a few months ago. The route could still be followed with care by the vestiges of blazes and tape but it was covered with deadfall and there was no advantage to being on the "trail." Above the Bucknell Trail it became an obvious path and nice travel.
I'll check again soon and confirm that this status is current.