New Outback

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with putting kayaks or bikes on the roof of the new Outback? I've had no issues with older Outbacks or Foresters but the new Outback has a roof rack that looks questionable. A reviewer says this about it..." The integrated roof rack has cross rails that pivot to the sides for storage, reducing wind noise. But the rack's design reduces the width and span of the crossbars, making it hard to secure some items like kayaks or canoes, and limits lash-down flexibility for securing cargo."

I'm wondering if my Thule Js will work with this car.

Does anyone have any experience with putting kayaks or bikes on the roof of the new Outback? I've had no issues with older Outbacks or Foresters but the new Outback has a roof rack that looks questionable. A reviewer says this about it..." The integrated roof rack has cross rails that pivot to the sides for storage, reducing wind noise. But the rack's design reduces the width and span of the crossbars, making it hard to secure some items like kayaks or canoes, and limits lash-down flexibility for securing cargo."

I'm wondering if my Thule Js will work with this car.
This has been an issue since that rack came out last year. If you do a google search you will find several forums with much to say about this horrible design. I was ready to trade in my 2004 Outback last year, but when I learned of the rack I decided to wait (and possibly look for another manufacturer) specifically because of the rack design. My local dealer and Subaru of America are well aware of the complaints and letters from many customers (including myself). Neither Thule nor Yakima made a compatible mount. Subaru's solution - purchase their $360 basket rack and keep that on the roof to tie your canoe to. Yeah, right, like i want to drive around with that ugly wind sail on the top of my car. I am so disappointed in Subaru over this.

Last edited:
That is disappointing! My old 2002 Forester had the basic rack, and I could put anything on it. (Ignoring the load limits, I put almost 1000 lb of lumber on it a couple years ago - it survived!) I hope Subaru straightens up their act. I have traded the 2002 for a 2011 Forester, but I have not tested the rack yet...

Shame on Subaru

Thank you duane for posting about Subaru's failure to meet customer needs.

As is, Subaru is the unofficial car of Northern New England, and usually has some toy carrier on top. We are starting to think about replacing our aging Outback, Like you, I was wondering how we are going to haul our toys around. Obviously, not with a 2011 Outback.

The 2010-2011 car rack was definitely a disappointment, but Yakima came out with an adapter earlier this year that seems to be working great for folks. It's great for Yakima owners, but Thule folks are still struggling for an elegant solution.

FWIW, I bought a 2010 Outback. I never owned an Outback before, but owned an Impreza prior. Another big complaint is that the 2010/2011 Outback is too large, but I actually like the size, but don't want it any larger. I haven't bought the Yakima adapter yet, but other than that, I'm very happy with the car.

Wholly agree with the comments here and specifically keeping my 3rd gen 2005 Outback until SOA comes out with a design that works. I've voiced my opinion to Subaru at many different occurances so hopefully they will listen and fix the design.

the crossbars are fixed too, you can't move them fore/aft if you want to move a long touring kayak towards the front...

The one comment I hear from 3rd gen subarus is the too soft suspension, especially in the back. And the turbo suffers from a small but noticeable stutter when it turns on/off.

Jay

I have a 2010 Outback that I got in April of 2010. I had concerns about the racks but bumped into the guy from Thule at the EMS in West Hartford, CT. He said that the rack was stable and told me that he had gone to my Subaru dealer, borrowed an Outback, put a Thule rack on with two canoes and drove down Rt. 9 at 75+ mph in comfort and with a stable feeling. On that basis I decided to go ahead and make the necessary purchases. I had to buy new feet and got the Crossroad feet to go with my existing square bars. They attach using an Allen screw and with an Allen wrench in a portable electric drill, hooking them up is quick and easy. I don’t fold the factory racks across but leave them in the stowed position. That places the bars about 24-26 inches apart which might be less than ideal for a longer boat but my 14’ kayak seems to be OK. I also got the Hydro Glide for the rear and Set to Go for the front support. I think in hindsight it might have been better to have both ends Hydro Glide but what I have works OK. I strap the kayak down to each load bar and mount the kayak so that one of the straps goes just outside the coming of the cockpit and the other goes over it. Not the ideal but it works. The forward tie down is a single line that goes under the front license plate and the rear is a triangle to two points up and under the rear bumper. You’ll have to crawl under to find them initially but once you know where they are, you can hook them in by feel. I also carry a bike at some times. It works for me but perhaps if you have a longer or heavier boat in might not for you. I’m happy though.
Last summer I took a 16’ wooden kayak from Chicago to Spokane without any problems but dropped my gas mileage to 25-26mpg instead of the 31 or so I can get in summer for highway driving.

Forester?

I didn't check it out. Does the 2011 Forester accomodate Yakima & Tule racks, or similar problem?

Duane,

I don't have experience with the new Outbacks, however Malone racks tend to be very versatile for cars. Just a thought if the Thules don't work.

PM me if you want a couple pics of the Malones and their connection system.

I've carried one kayak with them, but more often two - stability tends to increase with two as they can lean on each other on the roof, however I've taken multi-hundred mile car rides under both circumstances with no issues at high speeds (on a Jeep Cherokee).

Let me know if it's something that would help.

Out back Update

I bought the 2011 Outback figuring that I can make the rack work, although I haven't tried it yet. The side rails of the roof rack unlatch and swing over to the other side and re-latch to form cross bars. I'm counting on the Thule J (or Hull-a-port as Thule calls them) attaching to the cross bar. The distance between the cross bars makes me a little uncomfortable so I'll probably need to tether the front and back of the kayaks every time I use them.

Raven - A friend of mine uses a Malone system for his kayak. It loads from the back of the vehicle and slides forward. It seems effortless.