09 Subaru Outback

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with Thule crossbars and Js on an 09 Outback with factory installed rails? I currently use the Thule system on a minivan and a Liberty for two 12 ft kayaks without any problems. My concern is that the crossbars will be too close together and that the Js won't be able to straddle the cockpit.

'05 Subaru Outback owner here, not sure if there are a difference in the '09 Outbacks, but I do know the 2010 models have been redesigned...

I never liked the OEM crossbars on the Subaru, and bought Thule 450 Crossroads with the rubberized metal straps. They allow me to spread the bars farther apart as I have moved the front crossbar to the position in the roof rails where there is a "hole" in the rail, which is a bit further to the hood of the Outback than the OEM feet allow. This allows me to move my kayak closer to the hood and reduce the rear overhang. It should also allow you to space your crossbars (and hence, J-carriers) further apart, however, it would mean that you would have to buy the 450 crossbars and the crossbars themselves. (I have the longer 58" ones cause they were the same price and I figured i could always cut them). I use the Thule old-style non folding J-carriers myself.

Jay