Moderately-paced Pemi Loop - 8/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job Dave!! A smile well earned , wear it well and long!!

The soreness will pass but the accomplishment is ever lasting!:D

Seems like a damn good pace to me. That loop is one very tough hike and the plethora of incredible times being put up these days don't make it one bit easier for those of us normal humans in the audience when we venture out on it.

-sitting here at zero for one in 16 hours on my Pemi life-list. :D

sweet!

The drop into the woods here was a little disheartening

That's an understatement if there ever was one.

Really love the pic of Bond brooding in the shadows with the cairns lit up.

..and glad to see the running bug bit ya'!

The Loop is 31.5 miles, with a bit over 9,000' of elevation gain. I didn't take the side trips to West Bond or Galehead, which add a total of 1.8 additional miles or so and I'm not sure how much elevation.

Training Regiment

Dave, congratulations on your accomplishment!

We will be coming up North on 10/21 thru 10/29 and we are currently “training” for our attempts to do several more 4,000 footers. We have 35 under our belts and hope to do at least 5 more on our next trip.

I was curious as what was your motivation to lose weight and increase your stamina.

Also, can you share with us some of things you changed in order to reach your goal; for example, exercise routine and diet, so that we might incorporate some of those into our training schedule?

I’m always interested in what people take with them to eat in order to maintain their energy levels on extended hikes and noticed in your report that you only ate a couple of sandwiches. What was in those sandwiches and what other items did you take?

Mike

Great stuff Dave! I've been away from the forums for a while and came back to find this post near the top - as it should be. Not sure that a one-day Pemi loop is in my future (OK, I KNOW it isn't) but great to see this done in a "regular human" approach (although still super-human from some viewpoints). The pics are awesome. Not sure how you found the time to get them. So what's next after this feat??

Great Job Dave. BTW, I've been keeping those pounds you lost!:eek:

Looking for someone to take them from me.....

Great accomplishment, Dave.

It must have felt great to have that as a goal, get in the shape needed to reach it, and then actually complete it.

Scott

Congratulations, Dave! Larry mentioned that you asked him if he wanted to join you. I'll let him know what he missed. He'll enjoy reading your report.

Great post, great pics, great job! Can't wait to see what's next.

I was curious as what was your motivation to lose weight and increase your stamina.
My motivation was to be able to keep up with my faster and fitter skiing friends who can climb all day and still have legs fresh enough for great descents in the trees. I wanted to take my share of the lead when breaking trail and setting the skin track. And get 2 or more extra laps in the day.

Also, can you share with us some of things you changed in order to reach your goal; for example, exercise routine and diet, so that we might incorporate some of those into our training schedule?
Eat less; exercise more. I think I might write book based on this new and exciting concept.

:D

I made exercise a priority, running 3-4 times a week. I'm more conscious of what I eat and what I have in the house. I think carefully about what I order when eating out.

I’m always interested in what people take with them to eat in order to maintain their energy levels on extended hikes and noticed in your report that you only ate a couple of sandwiches. What was in those sandwiches and what other items did you take?
The two sandwich wraps were prosciutto and mozzarella. I ate about 6 Gu's, 3 Clif Bars, some tamari almonds, 2 packets of SpongeBob gummies, and 2 Three Musketeers bars. I drank 4 liters of water and 1 liter of Gatorade. If I do it again I think I'd throw in a bagel or something more substantial for late in the day.

Eat less; exercise more. I think I might write book based on this new and exciting concept.

:D

I made exercise a priority, running 3-4 times a week. I'm more conscious of what I eat and what I have in the house. I think carefully about what I order when eating out.

But, what about beer? :D

Just kididng; great effort and time on the Pemi loop, Dave.

See you at Watch City on the 21st.

Jesus Dave. Your my hero. I just started running again recently. I remember meeting you several years ago and now looking at your photo that you just changed and I wasn't sure it was the same person. Congratulation not only on the weight loss but also the shape you have gotten yourself in. 31.5 miles in 12 hours of that terrain is excellent. You have a lot to be proud of.

Regards,
Keith