new snow shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
looking for new set of snow shoes. Any one see this offer :http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...older_id=2534374302886388&bmUID=1192635797197

Do you really get the poles and the extentions for that price. Is this a good shoe for doing packed down trails like Cascade in the winter. some of the other MSR's say weight up to 175lbs. I weight 185. is that within liit? I hear there is another 20% off sale starting tommorrow.

Adk_dib said:
I hear there is another 20% off sale starting tommorrow.

"Up to 20%" -- meaning it might be 0%. Good way to get you in the store. I'm going, but in my experience the MSRs are not going to be on sale until late March -- I bought some this past March, having watched the prices all winter, and it was only available online.

Tim

Adk_dib said:
looking for new set of snow shoes. Any one see this offer :http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...older_id=2534374302886388&bmUID=1192635797197

Do you really get the poles and the extentions for that price. Is this a good shoe for doing packed down trails like Cascade in the winter. some of the other MSR's say weight up to 175lbs. I weight 185. is that within liit? I hear there is another 20% off sale starting tommorrow.
I'm going there tomorrow, I'll let you know! :D

The MSR's are great shoes. From what it looks like, the poles come along with the shoes. If you check out the MSR site, it goes a bit more into detail with different weights. Adding the flotation tails depending on weight and conditions. If the trail is packed out pretty good, theres usually no need for the tails. You might want to hold off till tomorrow, I believe the 20% off sale starts the 18th. Good Luck.

Yep, it's the whole package.

The MSR are especially good in packed down trails where their aggressive crampons really make more of a difference.

Yep, it's 20% off everything (except Merrells, and kayaks are 15%) from 18th-21st. IMO, I'd use this sale for gear and non-EMS brand clothes. EMS brand clothes can usually be had at a better deal than 20% other times... usually.

Thats a pretty sweet deal (especially if they come with the tails). The only negative is that they're not the "ascents" which means they don't have the heel elevators which I find incredibly useful for long climbs.

bignslow said:
Thats a pretty sweet deal (especially if they come with the tails). The only negative is that they're not the "ascents" which means they don't have the heel elevators which I find incredibly useful for long climbs.

There is alot of debate about the Tevelator being a necessity or not. The main perks about the MSR's is there size, and traction, that I've noticed, IMO, and Any MSR shoe you get is going to give you that advantage.

eddogg12 said:
There is alot of debate about the Tevelator being a necessity or not. The main perks about the MSR's is there size, and traction, that I've noticed, IMO, and Any MSR shoe you get is going to give you that advantage.
In Televator's we trust! :D

IMHO the Denali Classics aren't as good as the Denali Evo Ascents, which have a tapered shape and are constructed of harder materials.

A good deal but there were two bigger guys in the Daks last winter who snapped the classics first time out. I remember the pics being posted, think it may have been some of Neil's crew?

I LOVE the televators, I can cruise up long steep ascents like nothin!