New snow storm for Dec. 16-17?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blowing and drifting some tonight...

Mohamed, you're definitely right to note what's already down and moving around.

I just came up Rt 49 all the way at 25mph behind some timid souls who probably haven't seen snow in a while... there was a light to moderate snow-shower and the road was lightly coated, but the wind gusts were more the issue, as every time a good puff came along, it was instant white-out city, and the poor guy would whack the brakes and come to a near-halt.

If it keeps up like this (winds in the mid-20s, gusting to high 30s), the drifting could be significant even before the new storm ramps up.

Avy conditons should be fun to perdict after this one

What a mess!!!

Computer models are screwy tonight! If you would believe some of them, rain makes it all the way to Concord and perhaps Lebanon Sunday! Though that model seems to be pretty useless lately...

The GFS model, the one where I linked the snowfall accumulation has trended west...ugh meaning less snow for my area, and possibly a dry slot, meaning a cutoff of the precipitation all together. Still, right now, the real heavy snow would be upstate New York, if you believed the model face value.

Looks more and more depressing for southern New England too, more rain or sleet and ice, but not before a few inches of snow beforehand.

Hopefully the models will change again tomorrow morning, cause this is a huge change tonight...but I gotta say...the trend is not our friend, I'm afraid. At least in southern and central New England.

Pray for snow

And listen to the meteorologists, I give up, haha

grouseking

Last edited:
In Madison there's about an inch on the ground right now, but I don't think it's been snowing for very long because it's coming down pretty good. Flakes are small and very reflective of the floodlight, and it's blowing around in gusty winds. Temperature is about 15F. :eek:

Due to this weather and sore muscles from yesterday's hike, I think I'll hunker down with some winter ale and wings and watch the Patriots hammer the Jets in snowy Foxboro. :D

happy trails :)

Waterville Valley 2"+ fluff @ 7am

I came downstairs at 2am and it had dusted a little. It is now snowing moderately, light flakes so far. Wind is beginning to stir, too (Weather.com is showing 11mph out of the ENE). If the winds whip up, might be a good day to be down in the trees on some skinny skis...

About 2-3 inches of powder in Tamworth, but it's coming down at probably the fastest pace of any of the storms this month thus far.

Now= 10" new snow, 11F at the base of Grand Monadnock. Heard some sleet getting thrown against the windows for a few minutes, but it's turned back to fluff....for now.

Andrew said:
Now= 10" new snow, 11F at the base of Grand Monadnock. Heard some sleet getting thrown against the windows for a few minutes, but it's turned back to fluff....for now.
]

I saw Keene had 8.5 inches as of 7am or 8am, so yeah, southwest NH is getting the brunt of this right now. Don't look now, but if you look at the radar there is a massive dry slot coming. Perhaps the snow will let up in a few hours. Hanover has nearly 5 inches, been snowing for about 4 or 5 hours.

Watch the storm with the radar

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/northeast_loop.php

hit the refresh button every 10 min or so

grouseking

All I want to know is how is this going to affect my fantasy football team with Tom Brady throwing thru a wintry mix!? :D

Skied Waterville Valley this morning-- there were plenty of powder hounds out. Heard that the roads into Waterville were not great. Sleet is predicted-hard to believe since it's now 11 degrees.

skibones said:
Skied Waterville Valley this morning-- there were plenty of powder hounds out. Heard that the roads into Waterville were not great. Sleet is predicted-hard to believe since it's now 11 degrees.

Believe it. :(

It just mixed in with the precip here in Hanover. Temp is around 17 degrees with sleet. Lots of warm at at middle levels. And a killer dry slot working through right now. Good news, all you snow lovers who live in southern New England got a good thumping of 5-10 inches this morning!

On my way out right now to blow the long driveway during the slot (and before the drenching liquid makes it much, much harder to throw.) My WAG is we got about 8" so far in Milton, NH. I'll report back with actual total later.

EDIT: Blowing of the driveway is done. (Well, the blowing INTO the driveway continues . . . ) Finished just as the #$%^&*! sleet arrived -- in very light amounts so far. Actual snow amount is 6" as of 1:30 p.m.

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
Still going strong in Franconia, 6-8", no sleet, no dry slot.

Well I hope it keeps goin for you guys. It doesn't look promising on radar right now. We're in the crap zone right now, and will continue to be in a crap zone for several more hours, until maybe some backlash snows move through later, if we're lucky.

Winds are picking up in Tamworth...snow has let up a bit...heard a few sleet granules, but still mostly snow.

Everyone will get the dry slot for a few hours before the backside redevelops early this evening. The second punch should definitly give more heavy snow, so I am just waiting to see how it reforms. I was very impressed with the snow amounts in southern areas. Looking at the mountains forecast, it looks very good and some areas should see 2 feet from this again. Tomorrow will be the big time upslope day, and downsloping for outside the mountains. -Mattl

Mattl said:
Tomorrow will be the big time upslope day, and downsloping for outside the mountains. -Mattl

Got the upslope thing figured out....now what about downsloping? :confused: