New Yurt System Being Created in NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

Reaction score
I see a headline in the Coos County Democrat online that seems to indicate somebody is setting up some yurts for overnight lodging. I don't have a subscription to the paper so can't read the entire story. Anyone have more info?

Here's the free info on the paper's web site:

Backcountry adventure: New yurt system being created
DUMMER — You can't keep a good man — or a good idea — down. Bill Altenburg, who in 1997 began to develop a backcountry yurt-and-trail system that drew sled dog drivers, cross-country skiers, and mountain bikers to the 24,000-acre Phillips Brook tract on land leased from International Paper Corp...

Thanks
VT

Vermonster said:
New yurt system being created
VT

The "system" is new, but the yurts themselves, and the person who is creating the system, are familiar: it's the man who used to run the yurt system at Phillips Brook until the lease was not renewed by the paper company (IP) who owns that land. He's moved onto different paper company land to the east (Dummer) and north (Erroll) of the old site, and there seems to be an extension in Maine. There seem to be 4 yurt sites currently in NH. I enjoyed using yurts at PB in the past and hope this works out OK. Here's the full article from yesterday's CCD, which I can't link but must cut & paste here:

[start quote]Backcountry adventure: New yurt system being created
by Edith Tucker

11/23/2005 - DUMMER — You can't keep a good man — or a good idea — down.

Bill Altenburg, who in 1997 began to develop a backcountry yurt-and-trail system that drew sled dog drivers, cross-country skiers, and mountain bikers to the 24,000-acre Phillips Brook tract on land leased from International Paper Corp., is back in business, at a new location, operating under the name South Summit LLC.

Mr. Altenburg went out of business through no fault of his own. When IP decided it was going to sell its last remaining lands in the Granite State, the corporation did not renew Mr. Altenburg's lease, and he had to close down his operation, operated under the name Mountain Recreation Inc. of Conway.

The tract's new owner, GMO Renewable Resources, a private timber investment firm, also decided — at least in the short-term — to have no unnecessary encumbrances on its timber holdings while it negotiated with the state to sell a conservation easement on the tract, for which an application for federal Forest Legacy funds is pending under the sponsorship of the Society for the Protection of Forests.

After casting around for suitable properties for more than a year, Mr. Altenburg was able to successfully negotiate a lease with Bayroot LLC, a private timber investment firm, for the use of about 39,000 acres it owns in the Dummer-Millsfield area. (Bayroot bought these lands in December 2003 from MeadWestvaco Corp. of Stamford, Conn., as part of a 629,000-acre deal in both Maine and New Hampshire for roughly $200 an acre.)

Bayroot has Wagner Forest Management, Ltd., of Lyme manage the 140,000-plus acres it owns in New Hampshire, and one of its employees — Dan Hudnut — acts as its point person, representing the owner, and Mr. Altenburg said that he and Mr. Hudnut have developed a good working relationship.

Mr. Altenburg, a former landscape architect and one-time ski area planner, already has two yurts — round Mongolian-style tents that sleep six people in three bunk beds and boast a wood stove — in place and another that has a spectacular view is under construction on a mountain summit.

One yurt is on the shores of Little Dummer Pond. A fourth one, the only yurt that can accommodate snowmobilers, is on the Errol Rapids at the edge of downtown Errol.

The other three sites are all on non-motorized trails. Only seven miles of trail are currently available on the Bayroot lands, but he expects that occasionally outdoor enthusiasts will slip over the boundary onto GMO's land in the Phillips Brooks tract.

Customers pay $34 a bed per night or $145 for the exclusive use of a yurt. Despite the change in name, Mr. Altenburg's company maintains a new website at www.phillipsbrook.org.

The toll-free reservations number is 1–800-TRAILS8.

District I Executive Councilor Ray Burton is coming up to cut a ribbon to ceremonially open the yurt system on Friday, Dec. 2. He will meet others heading to the Dummer Pond yurt at 10 a.m. at the West Milan store.

The Dummer selectmen, according to Mr. Altenburg, issued permits for the yurts to be erected as an "accessory use" under the umbrella of "good forest management practices," which help generate funds that will allow sustainable forests to be maintained. [end quote]

My brother, who hunts in the Dummer/Millefield area ran into Mr Altenburg (I assume it was him) a week or so ago. He was in the process of getting additional timber up to a new yurt location, but I don't know much more about it other than they feel they have a good, longterm agreement in place.

I could not find a map for the yurt locations. Anyone help?

DougPaul said:
The Phillips Brook yurt system is much smaller than it used to be.

IIRC, due to limited time leases on logging company land.
Correct. Here's the deal as I understand it. There are two parcels of land involved. (see topozone for a map ) The "old" Phillips Brook area was a recreational lease by Timberland Trails on land formerly owned by International Paper. This encompassed the eastern half of the township of Odell, all of Erving's Location, and western portions of Millsfield and Dummer, bounded on the west by Nash Stream State Forest. There were roughly 10 yurts (not sure of #), a pretty neat setup: I stayed at one in fall 2003.

IP let the lease expire sometime in late 2003 / early 2004. They put this parcel of land up for sale, and it has since been bought by another (smaller) timber company.

The "new" Philips Brook area is on land leased from another landowner who owns property to the east of this area (in Millsfield, Dixville, and Dummer, I think; I may have that wrong).

Land ownership in the North Country has undergone a number of changes in recent years that make many of us in NH rather nervous. The only areas outside of WMNF that have some predictability of land use & recreational access are a few areas owned by the state / town / conservation organizations, & places like the 200,000 acre Pittsburg property now owned by Lyme Timber which has a conservation easement. (FYI one of my sources of info is from a friend who's involved in keeping track of who owns what lands in the North Country; he works for one of these "non-profits" that gets bashed a lot on this board, but that's another issue...)

edit: darn it! Waumbek beat me to the punch as someone came into my office & distracted me... :rolleyes:

Waumbek quoting Coos Cty Democrat said:
The tract's new owner, GMO Renewable Resources, a private timber investment firm, also decided — at least in the short-term — to have no unnecessary encumbrances on its timber holdings while it negotiated with the state to sell a conservation easement on the tract, for which an application for federal Forest Legacy funds is pending under the sponsorship of the Society for the Protection of Forests.
That is extremely good news (had heard something to this effect from a reliable source but better to see it in print); btw if any of you support this it might be helpful to contact your US Congressmen and let them know the Forest Legacy program is a good use of public $$$.

arghman said:
Waumbek quoting Coos Cty Democrat said:
That is extremely good news (had heard something to this effect from a reliable source but better to see it in print); btw if any of you support this it might be helpful to contact your US Congressmen and let them know the Forest Legacy program is a good use of public $$$.
Two updates on the GMO / Philips Brook cons. easement project:

1) Got a letter from SPNHF a few days ago thanking me for the contribution I made for this project (a small one) and it mentioned that apparently the Forest Legacy grant fell through for this year at least, but I'm sure they'll find funding eventually.

2) Got my copy of AMC Outdoors yesterday (this month's issue managed not to piss me off this time when I read it...) which had an update on a couple of land conservation projects, including Grafton Notch State Park and Philips Brook. The article mentioned that SPNHF was hopeful a yurt system could be reopened. (I'll have to go find the magazine to get exact quote)

arghman said:
2) Got my copy of AMC Outdoors yesterday (this month's issue managed not to piss me off this time when I read it...) which had an update on a couple of land conservation projects, including Grafton Notch State Park and Philips Brook. The article mentioned that SPNHF was hopeful a yurt system could be reopened. (I'll have to go find the magazine to get exact quote)

The yurt system is already reopened, partly. See the attached photo of the yurt at Little Dummer Pond. And Philips Brook didn't do so good this time around, according to an article in today's Coos County Democrat, which is subscription so I can't link. Here is it is:

[start quote]Phillips Brook project not in President's budget
03/01/2006 - STARK — The $3.5 million in Forest Legacy funds needed to purchase a conservation easement on the nearly 24,000-acre Phillips Brook parcel is not in President George Bush's proposed FY07 budget, according to spokesmen for the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests (SPNHF), which has acted as the facilitator for the effort to keep the tract undeveloped as a working forest, and the Appalachian Mountain Club. The land is in the Unincorporated Places of Odell, Ervings Location, and Millsfield, as well as the towns of Dummer and Columbia
Although disappointed, former SPNHF policy director Charlie Niebling and his successor Will Abbott believe that it is just a matter of time before a source of federal dollars is secured.
"SPNHF's plugging ahead," Mr. Niebling said on Friday at the annual meeting of the Society of American Foresters. "The Phillips Brook project scored really, really well and just missed the cut. It was just below the (funded-nonfunded) line."
The total number of dollars for land protection projects was substantially reduced from previous years, Mr. Niebling explained, noting that if last year's total dollar amount had been in the President's proposed budget, then this important project would have made the list.
Help from the four-member Congressional delegation will be sought, according to both Mr. Niebling and Mr. Abbott.
The Dummer board of selectmen took a position in favor of the project and wrote a letter of support to SPNHF some months ago. The Coös County Planning Board that concerns itself entirely with the Unincorporated Places also wrote in favor of this effort.
These kinds of letters of local support are critical to such projects, Mr. Niebling said.
The 45 outdoor enthusiasts who attended a Sept. 27, 2005, information meeting at Stark Town Hall all signed a sheet saying they favored the project. The conservation easement would keep it in private ownership as a "working" forest, ensure public access for traditional uses, and foreclose any subdivison and nearly all development.
SPNHF is acting as the agent for Black Bear LLC, a limited liability corporation established by a specialized timber investment firm, GMO (Grantham, Mayo, and van Otterloo) Renewable Resources of Amherst, Mass., under the umbrella of a Boston-based private investment firm that manages $25 billion in assets for private clients, mutual funds, and foundations. Black Bear bought the Phllips Brook tract in 2004 from the International Paper Company.
The conservation easement would also permanently protect snowmobile Corridor #28 under a separate agreement with the state Bureau of Trails. The landowner would continue to own the roads through the tract, maintain them, and and be responsible for any liability issues.
The former IP executives' lodge would be excluded from the easement along with 11 acres
Timber harvesting practices would be guided by "Good Forestry in the Granite State."
Mary Sloat of Groveton said at the September meeting that she considers the Phillips Brook tract as "a keystone" to maintaining a forested core in Coös, with space and habitat for wildlife, since it abuts Nash Stream (state) Forest and has the White Mountain National Forest to the south.
The total proposed funding for the Forest Legacy Program is $61.5 million, of which $55.7 million can be used to purchase land and/or conservation easements across the country. Total proposed funding for Land and Water Conservation Fund is approximately $83 million, of which only $45 million can be used to purchase new federal lands across the country.
Not far away in western Maine, however, the Grafton Notch Forest project was named the highest priority Forest Legacy project anywhere in the nation, with $2 million in proposed funding. The project links a much larger mosaic of existing conservation lands to protect outstanding wildlife habitat, drinking water supplies, and outdoor recreational resources.
"With forest ownership patterns in upheaval and development seemingly going on all around us, it is extremely important to secure large blocks of undeveloped land while we can, said Newry, Me., selectman Steve Wight in an AMC press release. Newry is home to the Sunday River ski resort.
In New Hampshire, the second phase of the Willard Pond/Robb Reservoir project ($3 million), that contains wetland and upland habitats that support more than 100 species of birds, and Maine's Lower Penobscot Forest project ($2.2 million), designed to protect more than 42,000 acres valued for hunting, ice fishing, canoeing, ice skating, and hiking, also made the cut.
A number of additions to the Silvio O. Conte National Wildlife Refuge in the four-state region of New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut as well as in the Lake Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge in Errol and Wentworth's Location also did not get on the list.[end quote]

wow..I love that area, and it would be great to see it under an easment. The ideal thing I think is for it to be an extention of the Nash Stream Forest..but probably won't happen. Then you couldnt camp I guess. -Mattl

We stayed in one of the old ones over Memorial Day one year. They were pretty cool, and would do it again. It's a good mix of car-camping and backcountry camping, for those not so inclined to haul their gear into the woods.

dug said:
We stayed in one of the old ones over Memorial Day one year. They were pretty cool, and would do it again. It's a good mix of car-camping and backcountry camping, for those not so inclined to haul their gear into the woods.

Timberland Trails (aka Phillips Brook) has both versions--drive-in and walk-in. The South Summit yurt is probably the furthest haul.

Even though we drove in, it was so far off the Rte. 110 (about a half-hour on logging roads). Also, there was nobody else in sight, so it did have a backcountry feel to it. But, there were coolers of beer, too :D