NH 4000 ft Awards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SherpaK,

Yeah, I'm just kidding. I was in the last batch of 48ers (because of alphabetical order). I imagine that as Tom said people were worn out by then. Actually, I noticed that I'm in the first picture in your link, sitting next to askus3, but I'm turned around talking to the people behind me.

Alpinista,

I looked around but didn't see you guys. You, Poison Ivy and HarryK are about the only people I've met from here. Not knowing real names, does make it tougher. Of course, I don't have a catchy trail-name eithe, just this lame id that I thought up too quickly. I'm up for a hike any Saturday.

at least I got my money's worth of pizza!

Hey HarryK - just a promise that we will eventually get you to the Atlantic Ocean!

I have been pretty busy doing mundane chores and took a local hike today but I had a great timethis past weekend. The hike in Pawtuckaway was a nice pleasant hike. Glad to hear the toads are doing their mating call, its SPRING!!! The award ceremony was OK but it was pretty much what I expected. Wish I could have socialized a bit more and talked with more of you. My only disappointment was that I thought I'd get the award for the longest between first and last peak (33 years) and I wasn't even close! Now I just wait for my Catskill 3500 completion and I wonder if 35 years will win any longevity records. Happy Birthday Audrey & Sherpa K and thanks for the photo. Overall - lots of fun and glad I came.

Man, what a GANG!

Serpa, great pix of the awards. I read that there were many, but it was something to really see it happening!! Congrats to all of you - great job.

The next day hike looked fine! I loved the Tux shot and view over to the top of MW.

TTYL

SherpaKroto said:
(Arm said he tweaked a knee, but I suspect it was an elbow)

Yes it was an elbow allright. I could hardly keep up with him at Brewery. :D

Nat and I had a great time. It was well worth the long drive. Always nice to see the "family" again. Congratulations to all.

P.S. Harryk...we got to see the ocean... ;)

wish I could have made it

I should have tried to make it to Stratham after finishing my last NE 4k after 25 years, but the weather was too nice and I ended up hiking around Portland all day. Did enjoy getting my patch earlier in the week and look forward to getting my scroll. I wonder how different it is from my early 90's NH 4k scroll..

Grizzly

HikerBob said:
Congratulations everybody :)

So, now everyone else has got their patches already it should be a short night when I go next year... :D

Bob

Bob... we'll get out patches together and cheer for eachother!

Congrats everyone! It motivates me to see so many VFTTers getting awards!

Blue - That's two of us! I know Sapblatt is aiming to finish this year, and I'm sure a few others will too :)

What are you planning for your last and when? Owl's Head is one of my remaining 8 and Sli, even though I'm sure your amazing adventures of last year has turned you into a speed demon, I'd be happy to tramp along with you again :)

Bob

HikerBob said:
Sli, even though I'm sure your amazing adventures of last year has turned you into a speed demon, I'd be happy to tramp along with you again :)

Bob

ME? SPEED? Hahaha . . . I have no need for speed :) That is my excuse and I am sticking to it :)

Will, do Hiker Bob, we haven't been hiking together in a long time, you are more than welcome to join me for any of my trips, stay tuned to your email.

sli74

HikerBob said:
Blue - That's two of us! I know Sapblatt is aiming to finish this year, and I'm sure a few others will too :)

What are you planning for your last and when? Owl's Head is one of my remaining 8 and Sli, even though I'm sure your amazing adventures of last year has turned you into a speed demon, I'd be happy to tramp along with you again :)

Bob
HikerBob and all-
Keep me in the loop for Owl's Head...I really do not want to solo that one! I was thinking July...

HikerBob said:

Bob

I'll go back out there for a day hike, especially if it is #48. Keep me posted on the Owls Head hike.......gets a bad rap but not really a bad hike. The river crossings on a hot day can be a cool challenge, the slide is fun, and the view up the backside of Franconia Notch is very good. Just have to watch out for the low hanging tree limb near the summit :eek:

amstony said:
I'll go back out there for a day hike, especially if it is #48. Keep me posted on the Owls Head hike.......gets a bad rap but not really a bad hike. The river crossings on a hot day can be a cool challenge, the slide is fun, and the view up the backside of Franconia Notch is very good. Just have to watch out for the low hanging tree limb near the summit :eek:

If you’re in a hurry to check owl's head off your list right quick this little tid bit won't do you much good. But waiting till the dryer (drought) part of summer makes the water crossings much more pleasant. Having hiked it in both the wet of spring and in august I strongly suggest the latter if you do not want to hold contempt in you heart for this mountain. IMHO

Also riding a mountain bike stashing in the woods on the other side of the bridge after the falls makes for an EXTREAMLY fun last three miles at the end of your hike. Plus seeing the look of jealously on people’s faces as you cruise by them jumping rocks, stumps and railroad ties is priceless.

Heather said:
Also riding a mountain bike stashing in the woods on the other side of the bridge after the falls makes for an EXTREAMLY fun last three miles at the end of your hike. Plus seeing the look of jealously on people’s faces as you cruise by them jumping rocks, stumps and railroad ties is priceless.

I did this and thought I had been clever - then found out that it disqualifies you for the peak under 4000 footer committee rules...

Jasonst said:
I did this and thought I had been clever - then found out that it disqualifies you for the peak under 4000 footer committee rules...

Clayt and I did the bike deal on round two of the OH. My sis and her other half had to walk.....they were envious, but we carried their packs out for them....wearing two backpacks and riding a bicycle is an experience all in itself.

harryk said:
Now this is really off topic ;) (the oceans)..but i do look forward to the day that members of the family get to throw me "finally" into the ocean, at this point the Pacific might be first :)...harryk
45 yrs old ... never been to ANY ocean, sad and krazy kanadian ;)..
but i thinkin i might be close to havin drunken an OCEAN of kold ones in that time;)....hk

Harry, your the "Big Kahuna" of Surfing, in our "Ocean of Beer".

Awesome pictures, Sherpa! Thanks. I'll even forgive the direct implication that I was was bribing Steve. Hey, I'm not above bribes! None were necessary there, thankfully! But, if my winter NEHH suddenly materializes, then you can question my tactics! :D

All joking aside, it was a great moment to get a hug with my scroll! Thanks for capturing the Kodak moment!!!! And if someone is missing their Kodak moment, I think I got everyone, althought my pictures aren't as good as Sherpa's (mine are from further back with bad lighting). I haven't posted them because my computer can't handle it, but I could email a few from work if you want them. PM me.

I had a great time, too. Well worth the effort to get there, as was every step along the way earn the patch & scroll. Hell, how else would I have met all of you? Just sorry that I didn't get to catch up with all the VFTT'ers that were there! That includes you, John -- I got a chance to commend Sara, but you were so busy I didn't get to chance up with you.

Harry & Jean -- I've got ocean here. Lots of it. It's all I've got now. I must find a way to share. We've got to work on this! :)

Lastly, for all of those working on Owl's Head -- I dreaded this one, and it ended up as one of my favorite trips. This, coming from one who abhors slides. Did it as an overnight last September (the stream crossings were still high but doable wading in Tevas). It's an exceptionally easy cruise out with tons of gear to make a sweet overnight camp, then a good morning hike up the slide. Loved it!

Peri -- I vote for a VFTT outing on Nantucket. What's the highest elevation??? I'm guessing the barstool at some awesome pub... :D