Non - outdoor people wearing the gear - does it irk you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherpa John said:
For once I find Afka_Bob remotely funny. :eek:
Many find I am best enjoyed at a distance.

On the other hand, if you are simply having trouble keeping up, I can type slower. :rolleyes:

Oh boy, am I commiting a faux pas by wearing cycling jerseys when I'm hiking? Or wearing my Pearl Izumi microfleece pants as underjohns?

Oh, I also use my Marmot precip as a rain jacket on my bike too and I've been known to simply grab it on days when it might be raining. (I'm not an umbrella person). Maybe I should add a disclaimer on it

"Advisory - I am wearing this Precip because it was hanging over my kitchen chair on the way out the door, I realize I am not hiking or biking and if this offends you, then I apologize"

:)
Jay

Giggy, you're gettin' a beating here... but I'm with you! I realize that some people wearing "the clothing" are skiiers, etc. What irks me is people who drive or ride the Cog to the summit wearing Techwick shirts, Gore-Tex pants, Vibram-soled boots, etc. They fail to realize that their perfect makeup gives them away!

But what really irks me is people who throw cigarette butts out their car window!!!

ahh - I was in a rip roaring mood yesterday - worse mood than James Hetfield on his first day of booze-rehab.

But this turned out to be a fun thread. The dude with the axe pic (name escapes me right now) - had me in stiches.

The folks weren't irking me as bad this morning - group therapy helps!!

Some folks on this board are extremely too darn seroius all the time. As much I as needed to relax yesterday - some of the posts here sound much angrier - as I was irked - some here sound down right angry!!

all in good fun

Last edited:
We need a law!

Oh, those dratted, nasty Wannabes!

Here I’ve had to wander around in the boonies for more than 50 years, getting sore, tired, blistered, critter-bit, sunburned, windburned, frost-nipped, hungry, sweaty, muddy, wet, cold, overheated and all that miscellaneous misery stuff . . . just to earn the priviege of wearing outdoorsy clothes.

And now those Yuppie Wannabes cheapen my resume, experience and life by just whippin’ out the old plastic to acquire the look for themselves, with no pain or suffering. Everybody knows they should be wearing Killer Kotton as befits their sorry station in life. But, no. The nerve those twirps have. Them and their filthy lucre, out there buying respectability they haven’t earned.

The dastardly manufacturers and retailers are going right along with it. A conspiracy, if ever there was one. A very, very dark conspiracy. The horror of it.

There ought to be a freakin’ law, I say.

G.

giggy said:
does it tick anyone else off when they see folks who you know are not doing anything outdoors - decked out in north face, marmot, etc... gear.

Not really. It's all about the rugged, outdoorsy, go anywhere, adventurous look. Not much different than driving an AWD SUV that never leaves the pavement.

Lets if I can screw up a good quote;

"Everyone is wearing a uniform...stop fooling yourself"
Frank Zappa

I have a serious hiking in panty hose question...what is better the ones with or with out the control top panel? What do you guys do about panty lines? They can put a man on the moon but they can't make polypro briefs that don't cause those unsightly panty lines :mad:

a previous post pointed this out:

"I heard somewhere that ice climbers where complaining that their normal size in north face jackets where too large around the belly becuase north face markets to "larger folks" now."

in all seriousness, i used to be a patagonia kinda guy but seems to me that all their stuff is oversized now. small ain't small no more. just sayin'. i think lots o' other gear makers are makin' their stuff bigger in all the sizes too. anyone else notice this? i can now wear boys' larger sizes (and i'm a hunka MAN, lemme tell ya :D ). i ain't that "small". again, just sayin'!!

Spence: local to N. Fla/Jax Beach believe it or not! And, the Super Bowl and all its madness is now here! (rickshaws, hookers, etc.)

Long story - surfer, turned skier, turned mt. hiker. Been going up to NH's WM few times a year for several years now.

Hopefully, head'n to BSP (1st time) w SK this summer - at height of bug season no less...

:D

bruno said:
. . . i think lots o' other gear makers are makin' their stuff bigger in all the sizes too. anyone else notice this? i can now wear boys' larger sizes (and i'm a hunka MAN, lemme tell ya :D ). i ain't that "small". again, just sayin'!!

I haven't noticed this phenomenon. It is difficult to find clothing that's actually large enough to fit my burly frame. Everything seems to be tailored for those scrawny Wannabes.

G.

Inverse Style/Quality?

Along the lines of your rant, and in a more serious manner...

Do any of you folks think that the quality of the NF items (or other high-end brand names) has gone down in recent times as a result of high demand by these consumers that are more concerned with style than function?
Any personal proof of this situation you wish to share?

Thanks mucho,

It also refers to something else...

Gris said:
Refers to the scene from local boy S. King's "The Shining," i suppose (based on Mt. Wash hotel i recall...). ;)

It also is a joke on someone telling a bad joke i.e. my bad joke "when people start wearing gaiters and ice axes..." No offense taken my joke did snuck!

I also agree with the idea that those companies might start or already have started cutting corners on quality, changing sizes, and such to accomodate the fashion statements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.