North and South Percy Peaks, Sunday July 18, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Stats: N Percy 3430' and S Percy 3234'
Trails: Percy Peaks Trail, N Percy Trail, S Percy herdpath, Cohos Trail/Percy Loop Trail, Nash Stream Rd walk.
Distance: 6.25 miles, ~3000 gain
Y Alpine 75 & 76/100

Today we decided to head to the Great North Woods and hike North and South Percy Peaks. Having a permanent basecamp in the Whites has opened the door on exploring off the beaten path hikes and lesser visited peaks. We drove North on Rt 3 out of Twin Mountain through the country towns of Whitefield, Lancaster and Northumberland. Once out of the White Mountain Region, the NH landscape takes on a more agricultural feel. Two very large peaks stood prominently from the farmland, one 3/4 bare rock, the other heavily forested with some open slides. The Percy's!!! Our destination in the Nash Stream Wilderness Area. At first glimpse, I couldn't wait to get up there!

We arrived at the trailhead at the leisurely, late sunday hour of 11:30.:) We crossed a very sturdy new bridge, and headed up the Percy Peaks trail. The trail is well graded and has undergone extensive work this summer. We soon began following an impressive slide coming off North Percy. A small rope tow assists the hiker up a small shelf, its really not necessary, but it makes for a fun picture. The trail winds its way up to a heavily forested col between the two peaks. Here it meets the Cohos Trail.

We opted to head for North Percy first, because there were some ominous dark clouds moving in, and the trail up the peak follows steep open slab, slippery when wet!

The climb up to North Percy is very dramatic. The rock faces drop away at a sharp angle and a bad step could be, well, very bad. For those who know the Percy's from long ago, this is a "new" trail that enters the slab at the very top of the former trail, that was laid out by rock climbers Robert and Miriam Underhill, and is written to be "extremely exhilarating" and "dangerous in wet weather". However, we later learned from from reading the trail register on South Percy, that the older "trail from the West" is still regularly used, by some hearty grid seeking peakbaggers that we are familiar with here in the 4K Whites. Rock on, Gridiots! Hardcore!

North Percy reminded me of the Baldfaces in its terrain. Steep open slab with alot of exposure, great views, and very grippy rock punctuated by lawns of black lichen that looks very slippery when wet. As beautiful and dramatic as it is, I must admit that this is not my favorite terrain and I kept my head down and bolted to the top, eager to summit and descend before any rainfall while MichaelJ oohed and ahhed and Terra came startlingly close to every drop off that she could. :eek:

After a brief summit stop, with the clouds ever condensing overhead, we checked out the amazing views of the Mahoosucs, The Kilkenny Range, The Presidentials, The Carter Range, and nearby peaks that we couldn't identify but would like to someday hike. A raindrop hit my shoulder and I promptly announced to MichaelJ that we were heading down, and very quickly, I did. Fortunately, only a few raindrops fell.

Back at the Cohos Trail, we backtracked to the S Percy herdpath. A funky fork in the trail is nicely marked and we took the right branch up South Percy. A wonderful green herdpath, it goes pretty much straight up through thick woods to a fairly open summit. A small mason jar hangs on a little spruce, and we spent about a half hour enjoying the view back toward N Percy, and recognized probably 75% of the names we read, dating back to 1994, as folks we know and/or have hiked with. How great is that? :)

Up on the summit of South Percy, Terra learned that blueberries were edible. First she saw us eating them. Then she put a whole branchful in her mouth. The next mouthful was just berries, no branches, but there were plenty of green ones. For her third mouthful, she carefully selected *only* ripe blueberries. As we headed down the trail, she scouted blueberry bushes for ripe berries. "We have created a monster" I said, and we laughed, but were also pretty impressed at how quickly animals learn things, especially when it comes to things that can be eaten.

We rejoined the Cohos Trail, and followed it to where it joins with the Percy Loop Trail. The next half mile or so we wrapped around the eastern edge of N Percy, through woods that were very similar to the Weeks section of the Kilkenny's but much lighter travelled. This was probably my favorite part of the trail, but unfortunatley my camera batteries ran out on N Percy, and I have no pictures to share. The trail dropped through a small ravine and past a campsite, and then entered a beautiful birch glade and travelled along an old narrow and very well graded logging road for the next mile or so. A few more turns in the trail, and we were heading toward Nash Stream Road again. We popped out on Nash Stream Rd near Long Mountain Brook, and turned south and walked 1.2 quiet miles back to our car.

A GREAT day out in the woods with MichaelJ and Terra, and my last hike as a 42 year old. :rolleyes:

Some pics:
Long slide
ry%3D480

Trail alongside
ry%3D480

Terra warns this is a dry trail, bring dog water
ry%3D480

Beginnings of the slab on N Percy
ry%3D480

Terra leads the way
ry%3D480

MichaelJ Oohs and Aahhs
ry%3D480

Beautiful view
ry%3D480

South Percy from North
ry%3D480

MichaelJ has some excellent pics from the rest of this hike and will be sharing soon.....

Last edited:
I loved those big open slabs on North Percy ... and I'm the one who's afraid of heights!

The Percy Loop was a beautiful way down afterward, green and lovely to walk on. The final mile+ of road walk went by in a heartbeat.

This hike is short mileage, a strenuous workout, and the reward for that effort is tremendous. The views were stunning, from Moose, Kinsmans, and Cannon on the right all the way to the Baldpates on the left, with everything else in between, plus a wicked neat perspective through Carter Notch.

It's a long drive (an hour north of Twin) but so worth it. And to paraphrase Bob & Geri, there are several ice cream shops in between. :)

Pics coming tomorrow, I need to be at home to upload them.

Percys

Una and Michael J nice trip report and pics too, looking forward to seeing MichaelJ's pics..you might have seen "lefty and blondie" on the log on s percy as we were there a few years ago on a nice day too...sugarloaf up nash stream road a couple miles also has great views if you have not done it yet..I took scudders with me to sugarloaf and identified at least 32 4 krs in 3 states and many peaks in canada..trail not quite as interesting as percys but don't let it psych you out!! victor head is another little peak that looks up to the percys and east towards mahoosucs, accessible by the cohos trail near christine lake..but you may know this so i'll keep quiet!! thanks for plugging the great north woods area..lefty e

Last edited:
Nice report and photos. Love the Percy's, which I hiked with Ed Robertson and Lyn Beattie when they were completing the NH200 highest in winter; was wishing that I had my ice ax and crampons on the January day that we tackled them. :eek:

Some history on the Nash Stream Area may be in order for those not familiar. This area was extensively logged for many years by Diamond Timber with the logs being driven down Nash Stream in the spring. In order to have enough flow, the stream was dammed and a large pond was formed to supply water for the drives. During an unusual weather event, the dam failed scouring out Nash Stream and causing some pretty dramatic changes in the stream bed. If you look at the area with Google Earth, you can see the old location of the pond and the various camps that were built around the former shoreline of the pond. During the breakup of Diamond in the eighties, the area was sold to a developer (mostly interested in gravel rights). After a public outcry, the area was bought by the state. Unfortunately, the management of the area is limited to cutting trees and leasing camplots to those with grandfathered camps. Of great annoyance is the state elected to ban overnight camping in the entire area making it difficult to for those without a local place to stay.

There are a large number of New Hampshire Hundred highest in the area, unfortunately, the only ones with views are the percy's and sugarloaf.

When on Percy Peak pick the most delicious blueberries. To make this trip a nice full day. Add an early afternoon lunch stop at Pond Brook Falls (good place for a dip) and conclude with an up and back hike to Sugarloaf. Between the two hikes and excursion you would be climbing 4700+ feet and a little short of 11 miles. When we made the North Peaks hiking trip we stayed at Maidstone State Park in VT as our base. Very nice campground off the beaten path. Other hikes to make to round up a trip there are the Dixville Notch area, Monadnock & Magalloway and Rogers Ledge from South Pond. These hikes make a wonderful 4 day hiking trip.

When on Percy Peak pick the most delicious blueberries. To make this trip a nice full day. Add an early afternoon lunch stop at Pond Brook Falls (good place for a dip) and conclude with an up and back hike to Sugarloaf. Between the two hikes and excursion you would be climbing 4700+ feet and a little short of 11 miles. When we made the North Peaks hiking trip we stayed at Maidstone State Park in VT as our base. Very nice campground off the beaten path. Other hikes to make to round up a trip there are the Dixville Notch area, Monadnock & Magalloway and Rogers Ledge from South Pond. These hikes make a wonderful 4 day hiking trip.

Nice idea! We thought about Sugarloaf, but I'm still trying to take things easy right now. I would definatley like to get up to Magalloway in the Dixville Notch area soon. Am I missing something? Are there two Monadnocks??

Thanks for the tips!

Monadnocks

Yes una outside of Colebrook, across the bridge in VT is VTs "Monadnock" which has an observation tower on it ..I believe a trip report with pics is around somewhere!! Lefty E

The other Monadnock is in Vermont across from Colebrook. Its worth the trip as the firetower gives a great view of the far northern NH peaks. It also looks out over the VT peaks in the northeast kingdom. Its a super well graded trail, with lots of shade and a couple of streams.

Hmm ... only 52 miles from Twin Mountain, no problem there, but Larry Pletcher's book says the fire tower is signed no trespassing and has the bottom stairs removed?

The fire tower on the Maidstone Monadnock was rebuilt two years ago and reopened. Prior to the rebuild it was blocked off and not really worth the trip.